TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Or the first ride themed after Monica Lewinsky? It's been a long time coming and Canadians will get the first chance to board cigar shaped trains and experience near misses with over sized desks and zippers.

BEST....LAUNCH....EVER!!!!

Photo update JULY 30, 2011

WE HAVE THREADS!!!

PIC_0530.JPG.38fb1d6c2b6fcdcb517d2429603cf1b2.JPG

threads

PIC_0532.JPG.67507098a0782e2d4146ec9079368d77.JPG

sexyyyyy

PIC_0534.JPG.85f13c28f1f146cb4e1b1776f458157b.JPG

close up, mmmm work it gurl!

PIC_0536.JPG.986a4bec19ec7f6cfa305a752478570d.JPG

weird formation out near employee parking

PIC_0538.JPG.584690ca43bedbfea2d4cc4ba6d4b598.JPG

more poured pre-footers

PIC_0537.JPG.89e8c6d8fd0c2a66f5010f5c9020e4cd.JPG

PIC_0540.JPG.89216f97d353edbed8a490ddadb502b0.JPG

This one is shy and random all alone over there by itself...

PIC_0535.JPG.2f3229b673be6d0382c6712e252806fe.JPG

TARGET CANADA!

PIC_0531.JPG.66996f3c3a5b1772f3fc33e321449290.JPG

bluryyyy

PIC_0539.JPG.d281a53f9ee92f7cf80ea573ebc36cd4.JPG

PIC_0541.JPG.117497159d52998a38bbb3b4dc13a505.JPG

I did not take this pic: http://flickr.com/#/photos/58668025@N05/5988585384/sizes/l/

I cannot see them putting "giga coaster" out in plain view like that. I think the park is playing a trick on people, or, "giga" doesn't actually mean giga in this case.

What do you think?

Has Canada's Wonderland ever played a trick on enthusiasts like that though? I don't ever recall them putting out fake plans or clues before a ride was announced to throw people off. Then again, with more parks getting into the game of viral marketing and such, especially with enthusiasts, we can't really rule it out.

Maybe someone else can go to the park and try to zoom in on one of these cages to see if it really says Giga.

Dear Canadian friends,

We will be heading up to CW/Toronto the weekend of August 12th as we have a free night's stay at the Comfort Inn North Toronto. I booked the reservation before I knew that Latinfest is going on Saturday the 13th (doh!).

Needless to say, I'm not even going to bother to ask how crowds will be as it seems like the last time we were there, that same event may have been going on and the crowds were absolutely insane.

I think we may very well skip the park at least until later in the afternoon/evening (and possibly just go over for a few hours on Sunday) and look for something else to do during the day. I remember going to the Toronto Zoo as a kid and seem to recall it being one of the larger/better zoos I had ever visited. Would this be one of the better ways to spend an afternoon in Toronto?

Also...are there any good restaurants around CW or the Comfort Inn North? The hotel website does not list much and I think we would rather not eat in the park. We would prefer to do local favorites as opposed to American chain restaurants (IE: Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, etc).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit - Please note that 'Doh' was in no way being derogatory to Latino's in any way...I just didn't think to check for big events going on that weekend before I booked. I know anything with "fest" in it is always going to draw HUGE crowds at theme parks! Just wanted to cover my butt here so no one reads that the wrong way!

^I definitely enjoyed the Toronto Zoo the times I've visited. Lots to see.

Last time I visited CW there was some cheer-leading completion going on and it was pretty crazy, but I still had fun even with the crowds. Line jumping was pretty bad though, but hopefully they will have more security around on a festival day.

Have fun.

Thanks Chris...I think we'll definitely head to the zoo to spread out our time at CW.

I do remember line-jumping being a big problem when we were at CW a couple of years ago, but they had decent security at Behemoth (I think because it was new) and they were kicking people out of the line for it.

Dear Canadian friends,

Also...are there any good restaurants around CW or the Comfort Inn North? The hotel website does not list much and I think we would rather not eat in the park. We would prefer to do local favorites as opposed to American chain restaurants (IE: Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, etc).

Right near the main park entrance there is The Keg, a great steakhouse and Canadian tradition. Across the road on the outskirts of Vaughan Mills are several options including Montana's (Ribs), Yangs (Tappanaki) and Grazie (Italian). Inside Vaughan Mills there is Szechwan, Szechwan (chinese), Canyon Creek (steakhouse) and Pickle Barrel (Canadian). Those are your closest and best bets near the park.

Just down the highway next to Colossus (the movie theatre that looks like a giant spaceship) is another cluster of good restaurants: Chilis, Jack Astors, Moxies, Earls and Alice Fazoolis. There's also great shopping there too if you care about that.

Since you mentioned having been in Toronto before, you'll already know that eating out and drinking out is more expensive here than in the US. Enjoy!

Also...are there any good restaurants around CW or the Comfort Inn North? The hotel website does not list much and I think we would rather not eat in the park. We would prefer to do local favorites as opposed to American chain restaurants (IE: Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Red Lobster, etc)

There's a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries at Hwy 7 & Weston which isn't far. Not sure if you have those in your neck of the States but if you don't, you must go, best burger in town.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but also in proximity would be Turtle Jacks, it's a real good wing place as well as All Star Wings.

Tons of food around the area, can never go starved, that's for sure.

Make sure you stay for the Starlight Spectacular if you do end up at the park. Starts at 10pm. Park is open till 11 for the summer on Saturday nights.

As the others have said there are lots of restaurants around the park.

Across Jane Street is Kelseys, a fairly generic type of restaurant, as well as a Wendys, McDonalds, Tim Hortons and Licks (great custom burgers).

Vaughan Mills mall has several restaurants inside and around. Some of my favorite places are Wild Wing or All Star Wings, The Keg (although it is kind of pricey), Boston Pizza, and Montanas.

As for things to do around Toronto; you got the Zoo, Royal Ontario Musem, Horseshoe Valley Adventure Park (ziplines, zorbs, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc etc). There's tons of stuff to do, depending on how far you want to drive.

Thank you for all of your input, guys! Definitely sounds like there is a great selection of food in the area that I'm sure would be tons better than eating in the park. It is especially interesting to try wings from different areas of the world to see how they compare with wings from Buffalo. May also hit up The Keg as my partner loves steak...and I love beer!

We'll definitely stay to see the Starlite Spectacular...we have seen the one at Carowinds and CP and they are pretty neat. I guess this will be my first Windseeker voyage as we won't be going to CP until the following weekend. I'm not a huge fan of these types of rides, but I promised my partner I would go on it being that I got him on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka!

I saw that GC Seat thing last time when I was at the park.

I am sure a lot people will say, "giga coaster" with that shot of the bolts from before, but who knows.

Either way, looks like we're getting a new coaster, and as long as its not a Dueling Volare then I am pretty it'll be good. Remember this is goign to be at the front of the park, so at bare minimal, it should at least LOOK good