TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Went yesterday, WIndseekr was opened got a ride in. On the whole, its an okay ride, not really exciting but does has its pluses. Also, you feel the forces on your body, just in the comfortable zone but this may make it hard to market towards families.

Anyways, I was able to visit the construction area and dragon fire markers. There were actually 3 containers near dragon fire, 1 in between the brake run and lift hill and 2 on the other side of the lift hill. And there were 3 markers located in the green space between the loops and the corkscrews.

IMG00105-20110603-1423.jpg.0fa216441aededa69e8d57d7a3dda57a.jpg

The two shipping containers

IMG00106-20110603-1425.thumb.jpg.24adf67fcd4867b69fa487488590da3c.jpg

The other two

The containers in the second picture have always been there. They store props for Haunt in them.

How long was the lineup for Windseeker? I was hoping to go tomorrow but some other things came up so I probably won't be able to go until the end of the month.

Holy line jumpers today too! Every effing line I was in today, (and they were long,) there were some brat kids jumping in line.

Our only other really bad experience with line-jumpers other than last weeks visit to Waldameer was our visit to Canada's Wonderland three years ago. Michael and I (along with another couple in front of us), got four people thrown out of the line for Behemoth (we advised security that they had cut about fifty people in line) and they were none too happy about it!

We were a little nervous that they might wait for us at the exit, but they didn't and the night ended well despite all the line-cutting douche-baggery during our visit!

The containers in the second picture have always been there. They store props for Haunt in them.

How long was the lineup for Windseeker? I was hoping to go tomorrow but some other things came up so I probably won't be able to go until the end of the month.

It was pretty long, but we were on the ride after 4 runs. We waited something like less than an half an hour, so it was not bad. The wait was less than behemoth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starlight Spectacular debuted yesterday. I've read one review on CW's Facebook fan page which said it was the best of all Cedar Fair parks. Has anyone seen it yet?

I'm going tomorrow, though I won't be staying until close. I saw the light strings on the trees when I went on opening day so I'm curious to see what else has been added by now.

There's about 300 000 led lights strung up on the trees and buildings along International Street. They're all the warm white leds. The real show is the digital projection on Wonder Mountain. It's really a great show. And the lights in the fountains have also been replaced with led lights and are synchronized with the rest of the show. They really make the fountains pop as they can fade/cycle through millions of colours. It's nice to have an actual show instead of just a walk-through experience.

I stood on the bridge in front of Wonder Mountain last night and got all of these pictures:

http://www.cwmania.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=252

Next time I go I'll be sure to stand in front of the fountains to get an overall view of the entire show.

^ How long is the entire show?

I found a clip on YouTube which appears to be the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuIR9yvb2kE

The guy's reaction was hilarious at around 0:58.

I'm impressed, though I was expecting to see the fountains actually move/shoot during the show. It's still cool though. I can only imagine what they have planned for Canada Day.

In other news, I was at the park today. No-go on Windseeker. It didn't open with the park. Later on when I was on the other side of the park, I saw it running with people on it. When I got to the line, it stalled about 1/4 up the tower so I went for lunch. I was camped out for about two hours in total, watching what they were doing. Maybe someone knows more technical information, but they had people on the 'stage' wiping those fins. See my crappy picture below...

06272011142.jpg.eaaf0df2fe37955410b7abcd11b6318d.jpg

The guy was wiping the fins while the gondola moved up to about the top of the yellow painted area... Then everyone disappeared and I gave up on waiting and went home.

In other news, I was at the park today. No-go on Windseeker. It didn't open with the park. Later on when I was on the other side of the park, I saw it running with people on it. When I got to the line, it stalled about 1/4 up the tower so I went for lunch. I was camped out for about two hours in total, watching what they were doing. Maybe someone knows more technical information, but they had people on the 'stage' wiping those fins. See my crappy picture below...

That's done on most all tower rides, it prevents the grease that lets it move smoothly from caking up and inevitably falling on riders as the car moves. It was on a TV show filmed at KD and they showed it being done on Drop Tower. If anyone can remember the name of that show feel free to share.

These small youtube clips are not the entire show, the show lasts around 15-20 minutes in total and has a theme for each2-5 minute clip. Here's a video of the Dragon and lava clip very cool video! There are also spring, winter fall and summer clips along with fireworks, golf balls, disco ball, and paint!

Dragon Clip:

Disco Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuIR9yvb2kE

I saw it opening night and I have to say Wonderland's Starlight Spectacular is really well done... nice to see them do something different than the other parks and leave out Snoopy this time.

Here's a piece done on CHCH TV about the park and there's some fun shots of rides:

http://www.chchnews.ca/index.php/morning-live-blog/item/4248-lori-live-canadas-wonderland

Edited by cwcoasterboy

^ I think you should double-check that link.

Wonderland just posted the following on their Facebook page:

Starlight Spectacular is now open! Guests are calling Starlight Spectacular one of the best shows in the Parks history.Check out these photos. http://ow.ly/5tnSK

The link goes to the Starlight Spectacular page on their website with these pictures:

Starlight-Spectacular-4-small.jpg

Starlight-Spectacular-2-Small.jpg

Starlight-Spectacular-5-small.jpg

Starlight-Spectacular-6-small.jpg

I really hope they keep up the show in the seasons (halloween!) and years to come... They've got a good thing on their hands here.

That's done on most all tower rides, it prevents the grease that lets it move smoothly from caking up and inevitably falling on riders as the car moves. It was on a TV show filmed at KD and they showed it being done on Drop Tower. If anyone can remember the name of that show feel free to share.

DIY network's project extreme....heck they're still playing it in Dominator's queue.