TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Thanks for posting that map, cwcoasterboy.

That straight line of stakes means that there's an electrical line running there (they were red, right?). Stakes aren't really there to map out a ride, it's just there for surveying purposes, to know whats underground. When I was looking at the dug up area in person, it just doesn't look like a place where they'd squeeze in a ride. The stakes around Dragon Fire does raise some suspicion, but for all we know, they could just be marking the area for when they install a new sprinkler system.

My very early prediction is that they're just going to build an addition to the arcade building. I'm considering the fact that they store the stuffed animals in a shipping container in that same back area. An addition could provide some solid storage space for them in a good location. To sum it up, I'm not getting my hopes up, but that just makes the surprise much tastier.

Like everywhere else, Windseeeker is delayed a bit up here. Although a a mild winter, it was quite windy and rainy during key construction periods, making the delay quite understandable.

Judging from the article, there will always be people who just don't understand what it takes to get these things built and launched safely.

The Toronto Star

Leslie Ferenc Staff Reporter

April showers may have brought spring flowers but they also delayed construction on the newest thrill ride at Canada’s Wonderland.

The WindSeeker, a hair-raising 30-storey swing ride, was to be up and running when the park opened Sunday. But record amounts of rain and high winds set the project back, said Dineen Beaven, manager of public relations and special events.

Construction on the $5 million ride, the highest point in the City of Vaughan, began last fall. Beaven said work is ongoing and dependent on the weather.

The tower stands at 91.7 metres high and its 32 twin-seat swings rotate up to 50 km/h, ascending and descending in a heart-pounding 50 seconds.

Park visitor Geoff Roberts didn’t hold back his disappointment when learning that the much-ballyhooed ride wasn’t operational on opening day.

“Fix the damn ride,” he wrote on Wonderland’s Facebook page Sunday.

“It’s embarrassing that a $5 million ride isn’t open for opening day,” he complained.

“I heard it had to do with safety tests. Why weren’t they concluded or seats installed on time? Everyone wants to ride it so what’s the real reason behind it not being ready?”

Beaven said no firm date has been set for the ride’s opening.

Ya the guy in the article needs to simmer down a bit. Sure its disappointing the ride isn't open on opening day but it's for the safety and benefit of all guests that it opens when its ready.

Either way, looking forward to possibly heading up there this week. Looks like 2011 will be a great season!

No big deal, considering they have had bad luck with weather. It's not like they've done this on purpose. After all, CW is loosing money having their starship ride closed.

BTW, I have read that the ride is supposed to rotate at 50 km/h (30 mph -ish). Wasn't it meant to rotate at 75 km/h (45 mph)? And the ride cycle sounds a bit short going up and down the tower in just 50 seconds...

^ The ride cycle is three minutes in total. I'm assuming it takes 50secs to go up and another 50 to go back down.

As for the article, I don't expect anything less than that garbage they have there. I cannot bare to look at Wonderland's Facebook page anymore. It's filled with complaints and people asking the same questions that can be answered within seconds by visiting CW's website.

Sorry posted in both topics cause I didn't really know where to post

Construction update. Picture credit goes to Cwmania user KoasterKore. Pictures show a bulldozer in speed city and work being done in it, and second picture shows a cement truck int he area, can you say footers?

https://picasaweb.google.com/110541780188241836402/May142011#5606590936755061602

https://picasaweb.google.com/110541780188241836402/May142011#5606590937797577634

Great news! I'm a huge fan of the Star Flyers but this machine does look fantastic, especially the lighting package.

^^I wouldn't put too much stock in that just yet since the same crew told us that it would be open last weekend. You never know though given that there's way more activity going on. Plus they apparently insatalled some sort of retrofit kit (unpainted and different colors pieces) to the arms, which hopefully will solve the issue of the ride being the world's biggest "kick boodie" ride, aka, the chairs swinging into each other at the top of the tower.

My parents are planning a Toronto-Montreal-Northeast cities trip later this summer and I was planning on hitting CW on that trip. I'm wondering...

- What are crowds gonna be like in mid - late July?

- I'm planning on hitting the real big ticket stuff (Behemoth, Vortex, Windseeker, Sledgehammer, Shockwave, the top spin, Drop Zone, and maybe Sky Rider). Are there any other recommended rides that I should hit?

- I've got plans to visit with at least one other TPR member. Anybody else wanna tag along?

Thanks in advance

My parents are planning a Toronto-Montreal-Northeast cities trip later this summer and I was planning on hitting CW on that trip. I'm wondering...

- What are crowds gonna be like in mid - late July?

Busy. I'd expect 45 minutes to an hour for nearly everything.

Canada's Wonderland just announced on facebook that Windseeker is now open.

Now I just need to get up their to ride it, maybe Thursday.

I was thinking about that too, that is if the weather report gets better. I may try this weekend.

^ I guess they had a little setback. This was taken this afternoon.

The attendant said they were having technical difficulties and the ride wouldn't open today.

Holy line jumpers today too! Every effing line I was in today, (and they were long,) there were some brat kids jumping in line. I also had by far my worst ride ever on the Spinebu...excuse me, Minebuster. 3rd row in the 2nd to last car. Needs some love. Weird thing about the camera policy too. A kid ahead of me on Wild Beast had basically a mount on his head for his camera. The ride-op talked to him and basically let him go with it after the kid said he'd used it on other rides before. But later on Minebuster, the op stopped the ride halfway up the lift and said "again, no cameras". Kinda weird.

On the bright side, I had a pretty decent ride on Wild Beast in the front row. It was actually hauling ass today. It actually moved around the first turn rather than crawling like a snail. And Behemoth was as good as ever. 2nd car from the back = ridiculous floater air. And the Minebuster crew was moving well today too. Trains were being dispatched before the other train reached the brakes. Good job guys!

Windseeker POV at Canada's Wonderland LINK REMOVED

ADMIN EDIT: We do not allow the sharing of illegal POV footage on TPR. Cedar Fair parks have a strict no-filming policy, and as this POV was clearly not done with permission, the link has been removed.

Edited by jedimaster1227