TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Should I stay or should I go?

Hey guys, just a quick question for the GADV locals. I live out on Long Island and was planning to go to GADV tomorrow (8/26) with my family for the day...but the current weather report is saying 30-40% chance of thunderstorms and precipitation. For me, a chance of rain is a chance of rain, and it doesn't really bother me. It's a two plus hour drive out to Jackson, and really didn't want my family to end up stuck in the rain, so I was wondering what exactly Six Flags management does if it thundershowers briefly; are there enough places to truly "take cover," do they re-open everything as soon as the storm has passed, etc. For those of you who have taken chances on days like this by going to GADV and other parks please let me know how it turned out...I don't want to mess this up for my family because I'm the one really pushing to go. Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine everything will be opened as soon as it's "safe" to do so [ie: as soon as the rain passes], barring any mechanical issues. I also imagine that SOMEWHERE inside the giant amusement park with a hundred attractions and restaurants and crap, there would be a place for you to stand if it rains.

I hate topics like these. These and those "WHAT PICS SHOULD I TAKE" topics. Both are basically forum-cluttering and provide very little actual usefulness. Go away!

I think it is a valid question, and I would definately say go for it. The rain tends to keep away some of the crowds and if it is only a passing thunderstorm the rides should open back up quickly.

Some of my best days ever at GADV have been on iffy weather days.

I imagine everything will be opened as soon as it's "safe" to do so [ie: as soon as the rain passes], barring any mechanical issues. I also imagine that SOMEWHERE inside the giant amusement park with a hundred attractions and restaurants and crap, there would be a place for you to stand if it rains.

I hate topics like these. These and those "WHAT PICS SHOULD I TAKE" topics. Both are basically forum-cluttering and provide very little actual usefulness. Go away!

Loosen your belt and lessen the ego, jesus.

Um...it's the SUMMER. Every freaking day has a chance of thunderstorms with this humidity, so if you feel like risking it, just go. Otherwise just sit at home and keep saying to yourself "gee, maybe I should have gone to the park." No matter what park it is (except for Knotts), they usually don't close stuff unless there is lightning in the area, or hail or torrential downpours, and once the storms pass, they reopen things as quickly as safely possible, as they know the reason you're there is to have fun and ride stuff. I'm pretty sure it's even noted on their website and in the park guide map. You've been to the park before, you should know there are plenty of indoor places to seek out until the bad weather passes.

If it rains, maybe you can call on some mutant to shut off the rain, or seek shelter until it subsides. However, if you do go, and it does thunderstorm horribly, just tell the ops your story about how far you traveled to ride the stuff, maybe they'll let you on anyway. And if you get struck by lightning, you can sue or something and get loads of money! It really is silly to be asking in here if you should go or not, it doesn't always depend on protocol, but more on the actual weather. If you have that much pull with your family as to whether or not they do something, I'm just gonna start calling you Veruca right now.

With just rain, everything usually stays open, except for Kingda Ka and Batman. And with thunderstorms, I am pretty shure once everything is clear, the rides will open up as soon as possible. I would just wait two weeks and deal with the September crowds, which aren't too bad, as opposed to the end of August crowds.

Loosen your belt and lessen the ego, jesus.

Does this even make sense?

I went a few weeks ago, and had some experience with how they operate in rain. At one point of the day I noticed several rides closed (Parachute tower, Kingda Ka, Rapids ride, log ride, sky ride) when the weather was quite sunny and nothing seemed to be approaching. Well I asked a few employees and apparently inclement weather was approaching, and thats why some of these rides were closed.

Well the first sign of inclement weather was an hour later, at which point you could see some dark clouds in the distance. At this point, many other rides closed such as El Toro, Nitro, etc. The inclement weather was only a bit of rain, which lasted literally 10 minutes, but that was enough to shut down most attractions for quite a while. Some rides were closed for almost 2 hours for just 10 minutes rain.

Take from that what you will. If there isn't too much rain in the forecast, the park is still manageable.

Thanks again guys...and Derek, in no way did I intend for my original to make me sound like that at all; it's my first day off in about 3 weeks from lifeguarding (Nassau County's understaffed this year) and my family has had this planned ever since they knew I was getting the day off. They asked me yesterday if I would still want to go even in the bad weather...I didn't want something that would be enjoyable for me end up being unenjoyable for them.

I hope I'm no rotten egg...