TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RIP .. Tony Wilson

nemesis-storm

Apologies for posting this quite late, but I thought I would pay tribute in a little way.

If some of you who don't know who Tony was, he could be described as one of the influential people in British music.

I'll post some links at the bottom of this post so you can read more about him, but I would like to point out some key points.

* Gave the Sex Pistols their television debut in 1976 on his regional TV show. Also gave The Jam, The Stone Roses, 808 State and The Happy Mondays their first appearances on TV.

* Set up Factory Records - New Order (Joy Division) , and The Happy Mondays were some of there artists.

* Part owner of Hacienda night club in Manchester. The club made a big contribution in 'House Music' , Early Techno & Indie. Hacienda also was the venue of Madonna' first UK appearance.

* In 2002, the film 'Twenty Four Hour Part People' was released. Documenting the Music of Manchester from thelate 70's to 1990's. Steeve Coogan played Tony in the film.

Tony passed away Friday 10th August after a long battle with kidney cancer.

Couple of links if you wish to read more about Tony.

Wikipedia page on Tony Wilson

BBC news.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been quite a fan of bands like 808 State, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, New Order, etc, I had always seen his name mentioned in magazines like NME, but never really knew who he was.

Thanks for posting this....

--Robb