TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fire in the Hole--different than before, or was it?

Ok so I just got back from visiting Silver Dollar City, I wanted to go back and relive some childhood memories.

When we got to Fire in the hole, I was anticipating it so much.. I got to sit in the front seat and it was great! I loved the ride, the hills were great and the effects were fun and I remembered them from when I rode it as a kid.

But after the ride was over, I started thinking about it and then I realized that the ride was different than I had remembered it to be...

I do know that there used to be a scene with a collapsed bridge in it, and the train would drop down the hill at that point, it scared me as a kid beause you thought you would go off that bridge then go down the hill.

when did they take that part out? and what other changes were done with it? and why?

I was just wondering...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blazing Fury at Dollywood still has it and they are the same ride. I dont think they do those big of things on a classic ride. If it really is the same thing it should have been where the first drop is before it look to the side and you would have seen a bridge and a sign that said Bridge Out Ahead.

^^What are you talking about? Last I was there on the 1st of June it was still there. It's pretty much one of the two focal points of the ride, they can't just take it out. There has been a small effect taken from it though I believe. Once upon a time, the roof of the bridge 'collapsed' as the train dropped under it.

Also, there have been a few minor scene changes over the years. I believe the last major update to the ride was just in the last couple of years. It's not like they just let it sit and deteriorate.

Thanks everybody, for clearing it up for me, I was looking around at everything else, i'm guessing the collapsing Bridge is where you hear the rumble sound. I do remember seeing the Bridge sign too.

I was looking up Fire in the hole and I got this off of Wikipedia:

An interesting fact to Fire in the Hole is a section of the ride has been removed. After the first dip (Collapsing Bridge) the ride would turn right and later reconnect in front of the second dip. (Train Collision) If you look close at the scene where the cabin is burning there is a moon and some stars above one of the old track areas. Also when you see the sign “Kinney Bridge” on your left is a large open area where scenes once existed.

Well that is incorrect. Once again proof that you cannot believe anything that is on wikipedia. The train has always turned left right after the burning bridge scene to go past the hold-up scene of the wagon into the railway tunnel. The three drops are boom-boom-boom.

The "removed scene" area that he is referring to is where they store supplies to repair scenes and what not. It is a big landing area that has always been at the top of the ride. Trust me I have been through that ride at least 20 times with the lights on, there is no "lost scenes or track areas"

Well that is incorrect. Once again proof that you cannot believe anything that is on wikipedia. The train has always turned left right after the burning bridge scene to go past the hold-up scene of the wagon into the railway tunnel. The three drops are boom-boom-boom.

The "removed scene" area that he is referring to is where they store supplies to repair scenes and what not. It is a big landing area that has always been at the top of the ride. Trust me I have been through that ride at least 20 times with the lights on, there is no "lost scenes or track areas"

thanks for clearing that up for me, appreciate it...

• 8 months later...
  • 12 years later...
On 8/17/2007 at 12:48 AM, Swoosh said:

Actually, it is absolutely correct.  I, too, remembered FITH being different and longer, with scenes that are now missing compared to the 1970s and early 1980s.
When we were there this past November (2020), I asked a ride operator, and he confirmed that the ride had been shortened from around 5 minutes to around 3 minutes by taking two major sections of track offline.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, boldikus said:

Replying to a 14 year old comment, whoa.

I know.  I tried years ago to reply, but every time I did, the system killed my account :D 
Maybe it didn't want me replying to an old topic.  Anyway, since we were actually at the park recently and I asked the question, and there was a forum update, I thought I'd share the info I received, FWIW.

Well since we are here, FWIW when I visited SDC during Christmas and spoke to a FITH employee, the park is still apparently looking at doing either a demo or major overhaul of the ride in the next year or two like what we saw with Lost River becoming MRF. It will probably depend on how 2021 attendance is though since revenue has been down due to the pandemic. It may get pushed out to as far as 2024.

Personally, I still hope the park will see value in preserving the classic ride the best they can and simply retrack it like how Blazing Fury was done. Not everything has to be tallest, biggest, fastest, wettest. Though some are saying the structure itself is beyond saving so I dunno.

Oof that'll be a big loss (and IMO a big mistake) if they just get rid of it.    But I can see them having to redo it from the ground up, that building really is very old.   Hell, it's as old as I am, and I certainly could use a total refurb.