TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Wes's Midwest F***ing Mania

Wes

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PKI is a collection of really mediocre to awful rides in a poorly laid out manner. The only coasters I thought were better than "meh" were Firehawk (clone!), FOF (clone!), and Beast (but only at night). Everything else was either just lame or really really bad. The crappy layout of the park didn't help either. Add in the fact it was balls hot and the lack of shade, I really did NOT enjoy my visit.

Even SFMM has better coasters.

That's a good description of the park, a have to admit. Shade is deffinately a big factor that is good in some areas, but HORRIBLE in others, Especially some rides.

And SFMM deffinately has better rides! Goliath, RR, Scream, Tatsu, all sound better than anything at KI. But that's kind of an unfair comparison.

I like to think of KI as an 'old school' park. Pretty much all of their coasters were the 'first' of something or 'tallest' oorrrrr...a clone. (IJST, Face/Off, FoF, Firehawk, Top Gun I guess you can say...and Reptar)

LOL...pretty much every ride has a 'negative effect' in my opinion.

Racer - Bad seat = VERY rough, yet a good seat can be great!

Face/Off - Headbanging, but it's forcefull and can be great in a good seat

Vortex - Headbanging, but has a great drop and nice inversions

Firehawk - Uncomfortable, but a unique experiance

SoB - .....

Beast - Bad seat can be rough, but gives nice night rides.

I can't really think of many coasters at KI where I get off the ride without a complaint or "ouch"

-J "I stick to Drop Zone and FoF" Z

^^^she may have ditched you for IJST, but we had enough people to take an entire train, AND they played Zombie Nation on the loading platform (to keep from saying station, because that would sound gay..)! I've been to raves that werent as much fun!

Sorry, Joe...you kinda missed out, but I bet Son of Beast was still........fun.........right?

^^^she may have ditched you for IJST, but we had enough people to take an entire train, AND they played Zombie Nation on the loading platform (to keep from saying station, because that would sound gay..)! I've been to raves that werent as much fun!

Sorry, Joe...you kinda missed out, but I bet Son of Beast was still........fun.........right?

OMG Tex I totally forgot about that! We totally rocked out in line!!! And no freaking joke, I would take Italian Job over that waste of wood anyday.

So technichally YOU LEFT ME. I'm hurt and scarred and you've left me with tons of emotional baggage that I'm going to heap onto every guy I date from now on.

Great photo TR Wes!

I'd agree with KI being kind of meh. My girlfriend and I managed to go on all the credits in roughly 3 hours the first time we were there. Last time we were there we went on SOB and then Firehawk and spent the rest of the 3 hours we were there at Boomerang Bay, which was still meh, save the flowrider.

PKI is a collection of really mediocre to awful rides in a poorly laid out manner. The only coasters I thought were better than "meh" were Firehawk (clone!), FOF (clone!), and Beast (but only at night). Everything else was either just lame or really really bad. The crappy layout of the park didn't help either. Add in the fact it was balls hot and the lack of shade, I really did NOT enjoy my visit.

Even SFMM has better coasters.

That's a good description of the park, a have to admit. Shade is deffinately a big factor that is good in some areas, but HORRIBLE in others, Especially some rides.

And SFMM deffinately has better rides! Goliath, RR, Scream, Tatsu, all sound better than anything at KI. But that's kind of an unfair comparison.

I like to think of KI as an 'old school' park. Pretty much all of their coasters were the 'first' of something or 'tallest' oorrrrr...a clone. (IJST, Face/Off, FoF, Firehawk, Top Gun I guess you can say...and Reptar)

LOL...pretty much every ride has a 'negative effect' in my opinion.

Racer - Bad seat = VERY rough, yet a good seat can be great!

Face/Off - Headbanging, but it's forcefull and can be great in a good seat

Vortex - Headbanging, but has a great drop and nice inversions

Firehawk - Uncomfortable, but a unique experiance

SoB - .....

Beast - Bad seat can be rough, but gives nice night rides.

I can't really think of many coasters at KI where I get off the ride without a complaint or "ouch"

-J "I stick to Drop Zone and FoF" Z

What sucks is in the early 90's this wasn't the case at all. All rides on the Racer and Beast were great. The park was unique and beautiful with no corporate feel, and most importantly it was FUN. Now it just screams Paramount killed us and CF is here to desecrate the body.

BTW there is nothing unique about Firehawk at all. How can a relocated clone be Unique?

^Which you can get from the same ride at a number of other parks (for example, Batwing at Six Flags America and Borg Assimilator at Carowinds). That being said, I kind of like Batwing, when it's running well.

Nice photos, why did you go to the hospital?

http://www.drugs.com/levaquin.html

Levaquin is used to treat bacterial infections that cause bronchitis, pneumonia, chlamydia, gonorrhea, skin infections, urinary tract infections, and infections of the prostate.

hmmmmm. Someone's getting exclusive ride time.

GREAT Trip Report Wes! Sheer Awesomeness-licious!

Hilarious bunch of trip reports. Thanks Wes.

PKI was kind of meh to me but largely due to it being the very last park of the trip (aside from Stricker's)... agree about the navigation though. And I actually felt kind of let down by Italian Job & Top Gun, I expected them to be more exciting.

Having the two post-closing night rides on Beast was an awesome experience so it was worth the visit for that.

I did also like the 1/3 scale Eiffel Tower & the fountains out the front of it with the lighting FX.

Firehawk is actually very unique, especially to non-coaster enthusiasts. When someone thinks of a roller coaster, they most likely think of a coaster where you sit down, or ones that they rode when they were a kid. Firehawk, more than likely, does not come to mind. People who only go to Kings Island and don't know of too many other parks, let alone been to them, will see Firehawk as being very unique. Is it unique to us? No. Is it unique to people who aren't coaster enthusiasts? Yes, very.

Wes - thanks for the photo report. Coming from anyone else - it just wouldn't make sense. Since meeting you on the trip - I can "see" your point. Scared the people in the bank when I came upon the Gemini Trash Can picture. I laughed quite loudly and my office door was open.

As far as PKI - I had a blast there, but not because of the rides, theming, navigation challenge, heat (that all kind of sucked.) It was great being with everyone from TPR.

The hardest thing to understand is why I knowingly got on SOB. I knew what it would do to me, but the Coaster Dork came out in me and I willing got on. Next time I decide to do that - I'd like a friend to just punch me in the face, then beat me with a baseball bat. The end result would be the same.

David

Firehawk is actually very unique, especially to non-coaster enthusiasts. When someone thinks of a roller coaster, they most likely think of a coaster where you sit down, or ones that they rode when they were a kid. Firehawk, more than likely, does not come to mind. People who only go to Kings Island and don't know of too many other parks, let alone been to them, will see Firehawk as being very unique. Is it unique to us? No. Is it unique to people who aren't coaster enthusiasts? Yes, very.

Okay, can the KI fanboys please put this argument to rest? This simple fact is that the "flying" coaster is NOT unique anymore. Period. Since the year 2000, there have been several dutchmen, 6 B&Ms worldwide, and I guess you can even toss in the "rat cages of death" scattered throughout the land. Not to mention the countless Discovery Channel-type shows which either mention, or specifically feature (Tatsu) the "flying" coaster.

Quit stretching to make a valid argument here. I hate to give 'em this much credit; however, either by word of mouth or seeing it firsthand at a regional park, even most of the general public is somewhat aware of this type of coaster by now.

Okay, can the KI fanboys please put this argument to rest? This simple fact is that the "flying" coaster is NOT unique anymore. Period. Since the year 2000, there have been several dutchmen, 6 B&Ms worldwide, and I guess you can even toss in the "rat cages of death" scattered throughout the land. Not to mention the countless Discovery Channel-type shows which either mention, or specifically feature (Tatsu) the "flying" coaster.

Quit stretching to make a valid argument here. I hate to give 'em this much credit; however, either by word of mouth or seeing it firsthand at a regional park, even most of the general public is somewhat aware of this type of coaster by now.

Thank you! I find it almost fraudulent when Kings Island talks about "one of a kind thrills" in reference to Firehawk. It's a 6-year-old ride with a new coat of paint that is chipping already. Ain't nothing special about it.

All the life has been sucked out of this park, and it's so bad I actually have no plans to even buy a season pass next year.

Joe "will get a season pass just as soon as KI installs a real coaster" C.

The one you've been waiting for.......CEDAR POINT!!!

Wait... all these trashcans were open. We must not have been there the same day. It's not safe to operate an open trash receptacle with the threat of inclimate weather someplace over Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...