TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

1080P HD TV's

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LCD is overrated and overpriced

Mitsubishi Rear Projection, or better yet, Mitsubishi Projectors. I have a friend with a 73inch DLP 1080p and its beautiful. He also have a projector from them thats 1080p and actually looks better. Partly due to the massively bright bulb but hey, its worth it. Plus, if youve got 25ft to work with, itll stay clear all the way up too a 25ft wide picture

His is set at 110inches and its gorgeous.

LCD is overrated and overpriced

Mitsubishi Rear Projection, or better yet, Mitsubishi Projectors. I have a friend with a 73inch DLP 1080p and its beautiful. He also have a projector from them thats 1080p and actually looks better. Partly due to the massively bright bulb but hey, its worth it. Plus, if youve got 25ft to work with, itll stay clear all the way up too a 25ft wide picture

His is set at 110inches and its gorgeous.

LCD makes plenty of sense in the 37" and 42" sizes that he's considering, and is pretty cheap in that range as well.

DLP blows if you're one of the unfortunate people that sees the rainbow effect. And I have a suspicion that it's a much higher % of the population than the manufacturers are claiming. I know several people affected by this problem, including my wife. Even if nobody in your immediate household has the problem, who wants to worry about their friends possibly not being able to watch their TV? DLP does give you a giant screen for cheap though.

Okay, so...I sell TVs. That's what I do. Here's some tips I can give you:

People who say LCD is overrated don't know what they're talking about. Overall, LCD has the potential to give you less problems than a plasma. Also, you'll be hardpressed to find a plasma in a 37" or 42". Panasonic makes them that small, but in models that we carry, 42" is the smallest. And it's only 720P. For that price, you can get a GREAT Samsung or Sony 1080P LCD. The main difference in picture quality between LCD and Plasma is that Plasma will have deeper blacks and thus deeper colors, where as the brightness of the LCD is awesome.

Plasma is considerably heavier (if that's a concern) and much more expensive and you also carry the risk of burn-in...though most modern plasmas have the ability to flush the screen to avoid burn-in. In either event, you need to bare in mind that these TVs are basically NOT fixable. If something goes wrong with it...that's it...so if the place you're buying from sells service plans, go with it because the manufacturer gives you almost nothing. Any problems in the display are not fixable. Computer parts can be replaced, screens cannot.

Thank you for all of your feedback on this topic, I have nearly decided which TV to buy. I don't know if you can buy these models in the USA.

Either:

£1,200 SONY: Model No: KDL-40W2000U = 1080P 8000:1 Contrast Ratio

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=357618&cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_-Plasma_and_LCD_TVs-_-position1

£1,099 SAMSUNG: Model No: LE40M87BDX/XEU = 1080P and has a 15000:1 Contrast Ratio.

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=389587

Both are stunning sets and produce lovely pic's.

^^I never said anything about Plasma - its a waste.

I would rather bump up to the 50 or 60 inch screens and get far more for my money. If yo have serious space constraints, then I can see LCD but the more recent RP Tv's are SUPER thin by comparison to their older cousins. My buddys 73inch is no more than 18 inches thick! Thats crazy.

Apparently LCD has still come down more in price since we looked at them when we bought his last 2 tv's in the last 6 months. Under 50inches the prices are only a couple hundred off but anything over that LCD is way too expensive.

But Ill agree on Plasma. I think its just a waste.

We got a 52" 1080p Samsung DLP. When showing HD programming it looks great. I also like the "just scan" feature which automatically adjusts the letterboxing and screen size to give the best frame possible.

DLP is good if you want something low maintenance as there is just one bulb to replace. On the otherhand, it does give off some heat.

Looks great with Direct TV HD.

We've got a Sony 40W2000, and it's great. We've only used it with non-HD stuff so far, and think it's great just for that, so I can't wait to get Sky HD and (eventually) a PS3 to try it properly. We got ours from John Lewis, as they give you a 5 year guarantee for free, and when we bought it (just checked, they still have to offer) we also got a Sony HDD/DVD recorder unit for free, and free delivery. We actually got 12% off the price as my wife works for them, but even without the discount, it comes within your £1500 budget.

Definately recommended!

That's good to know - that happens to me, and we're planning on getting a new TV.

Movie theaters use 3-chip DLP technology, which does not have the rainbow problem. I'm not sure if any consumer models have this. If they do, they'd make LCD TVs look cheap.