TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney World Raises Prices...Again

I don't think I'd ever pay $71 for a one-day ticket. I'd look for deals, like multiday tickets or Florida resident and AAA discounts. Like retail, you never pay full price for Disney tickets!

That being said, like death and taxes, Disney tickets go up every year. It's inevitable. When Disney ticket prices go up, so do the ticket prices of the other Orlando theme parks. I remember way back in the late 90's Disney park admission was approaching $50 and people said that those prices were too high. Today, $50 for a one day ticket for a WDW park is a bargain!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your research. Attendance has been up.

Again by whose figures are you going by? I'm not doubting you its just that their recent policies don't seem to support this. From the age of 3 until the age of 18 we used to drive down to WDW once every 3-4 years- every time in mid-to-late August when the crowds were not horrendous but still there. My parents took my neice, nephew, and sister down there two summers back and the Magic Kingdom closed at 8pm and had no evening entertainment about two weeks before Labor Day.

I just find it interesting that some attendance lists list Disney as the Top 8 while other listings have other parks in there as well.

^^Also CP is not the only park I am refering to. Just out of boredom I planned a fake trip to Universal Studios and IOA- 1- a park which has added 10 major new rides since I was there last (as opposed to MK, Apriot, and DMGM which combined have only added five or six and that's 3 parks) and 2- a park I have never been to which again compared to AK (I haven't been there either).

I could get an unlimited park pass and a hotel for five nights for under $400- yes I'm a sorry single rider- that's at a hotel less than 1 mile from the main gate and an early entry pass and a City Walk Pass.

I'm sorry I just don't find the Disney "quality" really that much better than Busch or Universal and they are much cheaper.

I can't find the link for 2005-2006, but here's 2003-2004. From what I recall reading, it's been steadily increasing each year. Which, of you think about it, isn't difficult since it hit rock bottom after 9/11.

The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 15.2 million, up 8%.

Epcot at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 9.4 million, up 9%.

Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 8.3 million, up 5%.

Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., 7.8 million, up 7%.

My goodness this topic is a loaded gun. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're into hard core coasters and thrill rides, disney is definitely NOT the place for you. That being said, I'd take WDW over BGA any day. I was there for the first time in months yesterday...the employees were rude, the park was dirty (trash and people smoking everywhere) and everything I rode needed noticable refurb with the exception of Montu. It is very rare that you find any of those things at any of the WDW parks. Therefore, I don't mind paying more for something that is of superior quality.

Bring on the Disney fanboy accusations baby.....

Funny because I was there(BGA)a month ago and it was clean, the employees were nice except at Gwazi, and none of the rides I rode(all of the coasters) needed refurb.

Most of my Disney park trips I notice a lot of rude employees, and as well their need to be like Cedar Fair and invest in more trash cans because I see a lot that are full.

Do your research. Attendance has been up.

Again by whose figures are you going by?

Not sure if they were using this, but the best figures I could find are from TEA/ERA, published this April; here's the full PDF. A small excerpt can found at Theme Park Insider.

(Go to page 12 of the PDF for the US park figures - all of WDW's parks are in the Top 5, Cedar Point is in 15th.)

Personally, I just think that Disney is going to reach a point where the price of the tickets starts to cause the attendance to drop. $71 for one park! It's probably too much for a large amount of Americans right now.

Most Americans don't go to Disney for one day (and most of those who do, local residents, get a discount) and they get cheaper multi-day tickets.

Besides, these days Universal is kicking the crap out of Disney in terms of themeing and rides. (Thats just my opinion) Yet you don't see them jacking up prices constantly like the mouse is.

As much as I love Universal, they are at $67 for one day, and from what I can remember, when one goes up, the others usually follow. Market economics.

After reading 4 pages of this junk and people who would rather go to a CF park then Disney, or who just can't grasp the multi day ticket idea, or think 4 dollars less at Universal is a lot. In general people who just want to bash Disney because for them ride count is more important then ride quality. You should stand up a do something about this. DO NOT GO to Disney, prove to them that you are right, stand up for this massive injustice. Don't worry that a Nascar race or front rows tickets to concert cost much more, when you can experience those things on TV for free. Just don't go to Disney.

That way when I go I won't have to deal with your tight fisted, park bashing attitude, when I am enjoying my favorite parks.

Interesting to compare a theme park trip to a trip to Maui- ....

Actually that hits the nail right on the head.

This is straight from the mouth of the mouse at a Disney Institute training class--they consider their product to be a multiday resort vacation experience that many guests only get to have once or twice in a lifetime (many people save up for years for their trip to Orlando). Their competition is anything else that people might spend their discretionary income on...season tickets to a sports franchise, a Caribbean cruise, a new bass boat, a trip to Hawaii etc.

Other amusement parks are not really competing because they do not offer the same product. How many people (outside of the few thousand enthusiasts in the world) are going to do a week long coaster trip? How many people would spend a week at Cedar Point (I would think 1-3 days is enough for most people)? How many people are going to do a one day Disney trip (I think the one day price is there so they have a value in the table to show how much you save with your park hopper)?

The key thing to consider is how much does a week at Disney cost versus a week somewhere else. I just signed up for a ski week next March at Beaver Creek CO. The package price was $1525.00 for air/ground transportation, 7 nights ski-in/ski-out lodging and a couple of parties. A 6-day lift ticket will probably be an additional $250-300(the walk up price is comparable to Disney's and "no one" pays walkup to a ski resort either), equipment rental will be around $180 and food will probably be $300-400 more. Suddenly a $1200 Disney trip starts to look cheap. It all depends on your perspective.

^^Also CP is not the only park I am refering to. Just out of boredom I planned a fake trip to Universal Studios and IOA- 1- a park which has added 10 major new rides since I was there last (as opposed to MK, Apriot, and DMGM which combined have only added five or six and that's 3 parks) and 2- a park I have never been to which again compared to AK (I haven't been there either).

I could get an unlimited park pass and a hotel for five nights for under $400- yes I'm a sorry single rider- that's at a hotel less than 1 mile from the main gate and an early entry pass and a City Walk Pass.

I'm sorry I just don't find the Disney "quality" really that much better than Busch or Universal and they are much cheaper.

You're right that Universal quality is right up there with Disney. But you're not comparing apples to apples. Whenever I've looked at staying on property at Universal it's pretty much every bit as expensive as Disney. Their resorts ain't cheap. I can stay at Motel6 in Kissimmee and get a Disney vacation closer to your price.

Actually, I plan to hit both Universal AND Disney in January.

As much as I love Universal, they are at $67 for one day, and from what I can remember, when one goes up, the others usually follow. Market economics.

It's like $79 for the two parks in one day pass. So really, which one is more bang for your buck?

Disney and Universal can charge more then Cedar Fair/Six Flags.

They are premium parks, with rides, food, shows, and overall theme, miles ahead of

How many rides can compare to Dragons, Everest, Spiderman, Mummy, Test Track, or Tower? They aren't the tallest, not the craziest, but everyone will want to go again and again.

Other amusement parks are not really competing because they do not offer the same product. How many people (outside of the few thousand enthusiasts in the world) are going to do a week long coaster trip? How many people would spend a week at Cedar Point (I would think 1-3 days is enough for most people)? How many people are going to do a one day Disney trip (I think the one day price is there so they have a value in the table to show how much you save with your park hopper)?

Well I for one would go to Disney for one day because that is all it would take for me to hit the stuff they have added since 1995. Actually a lot of people I know take multi-regional park trips. And yes there are people who take week long vacations to Cedar Point and they hit the Carousel museum and the lion safari and the R&R Hall of Fame.

Suddenly a $1200 Disney trip starts to look cheap. It all depends on your perspective.

Or your income level.

As far as the other post about staying off-site to go to Disney- vs staying offsite to go to Universal's two parks- Universal's area hotels are right across the street and no that price quoted is not a Motel6. But come to think of it if you take the odd over-sized theming away for the All Stars you are basically staying in a $39/night hotel but are paying twice as much and even they are not much of a time saver as they are so far out from everything except AK.

All I am saying is that Disney has been riding the "Image Train" for quite awhile now- its time to put more coal in the fire.

PS: One other thing to consider all of the WDW parks costs the exact same ammount but their offerings are far spread from MK and Apricot with a decent spread to MGM with what 5 rides. Also let me say that if I had a job paying $50K as a single man I might consider doing a Disney Resort thing, but as a low-income hope-to-soon-be-a-student. When $600 is all that you got for a vacation (granted I don't even have that) what are you going to do? Less than 10 years ago you could do Disney that cheap too- on property.

All I am saying is that Disney has been riding the "Image Train" for quite awhile now- its time to put more coal in the fire.

That's probably true. I think Universal is going to force Disney to do some drastic upgrades, as this Harry Potter thing is going to be MASSIVE. And Disney doesn't really have anything of that magnitude with which to respond in kind.

I think the theory is they have the additional days so cheap to keep you out of their competitor's parks. Disney is ALWAYS working on getting you to spend more time and therefore money at their properties. I find, for example if you try hard enough, you can take care of Disneyland and DCA in two days, but the three-day park hopper is the best deal.

I don't look at a place like Disneyland as a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The place changes a little over the years and it's nice to go back once in a while, but if I'm in the area, I ALWAYS go to Knott's and sometimes Universal and sometimes San Diego.

This park pricing is one reason I don't go to Florida. It always looks so expensive compared to what I can do in SoCal, and what is it-more Disney? I like to take a little break from the Mouse once in a while... which is why IOA still intrigues me....

When $600 is all that you got for a vacation (granted I don't even have that) what are you going to do? Less than 10 years ago you could do Disney that cheap too- on property.

Then it sounds like your trip plans are extremely limited, and continually complaining about Disney ticket prices is a waste of time.

This is just so unnessacery for disney to do this.

You're right. They don't HAVE to raise the ticket prices. But their costs still increase each year. Salaries, materials, upkeep, energy, etc. This means they have to accept lower profits if they don't raise admission to cover their rising costs. Lower profits mean smaller dividends paid back to shareholders. If this goes on for too long, shareholders get pissed and start yelling at the board to replace the management team with people who will correct the situation.

When $600 is all that you got for a vacation (granted I don't even have that) what are you going to do? Less than 10 years ago you could do Disney that cheap too- on property.

Then it sounds like your trip plans are extremely limited, and continually complaining about Disney ticket prices is a waste of time.

Yeah and you complaining about someone that's complaining about the prices is no better...

That's pretty much expected with Disney and I'm not surprised one bit. I think they can get away with it cause look what they all have to offer. As far as theming and the overall 'Disney' experence, $71 sounds just about right. I would never just stay there for a day, that's for sure. Then it'll be a waste. Now that I think about it, I see it more as a strategy thing to get you to stay in thier park for as long as they can. When you plan for about a week long stay at Disney, that $71 doesnt sound as bad...

^ I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out that if you don't have the cash, then what's to complain about in the first place, there's better ways to spend your extra money. Although I could do Disney for a day for under $600. Flight - $277, Ticket - $71, Hotel - $100, Food - $100, cabfare left - $52. It'd be dumb, but it's doable.

And thanks for reiterating points that were already made. Disney's whole goal is to get you to stay there for an extended amount of time, and away from Universal.

The whole pricing model is built around the multi-day packages and keeping your FAMILY on property for the duration of your vacation. Period.

Just like the Magical Express and Dining Plan prove, they want to get you in, take your money and get you out and they don't want to give anybody else a piece of the pie. It is actually a flawless business model as long as they can provide an excellent experience for all their visitors.

If you want to be more "enthusiast-like" and flexible, the only real way to get a value is to be 10 day tickets. Yes, they are expensive, but they are also worth it!

^ I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out that if you don't have the cash, then what's to complain about in the first place, there's better ways to spend your extra money. Although I could do Disney for a day for under $600. Flight - $277, Ticket - $71, Hotel - $100, Food - $100, cabfare left - $52. It'd be dumb, but it's doable.

And thanks for reiterating points that were already made. Disney's whole goal is to get you to stay there for an extended amount of time, and away from Universal.

Its dumb for me to want to take a vacation I can afford? I am planning a trip this fall as I should have the fundage by then and am pretty much left with Florida or California by then and where am I going to go- WDW where my budget would get me over 1/2 hour from the parks and maybe two or three days in the parks or Universal where I can stay across the street and get five days and do Sea World and BGAfrica for just another $80- shuttle to Tampa included