TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney World Raises Prices...Again

The price of magic goes up this weekend at Walt Disney World, where the basic adult ticket is climbing 6 percent to a record $71.

Disney on Friday announced a whole range of new ticket prices that take effect Sunday. The price changes also affect the discount packages that still can push the per-day cost below $23 for adults who want to commit to as much as a 10-day run at Disney's four theme parks.

But almost all the prices are going up. And for the second year in a row, Disney is raising its prices in August rather than in December or January, when theme parks historically announced price increases.

An adult, one-day, one-park pass that now costs $67 will go up to $71. Price increases of 3 percent to 6 percent were tacked onto most of Disney's "Magic Your Way" tickets and annual passes.

There was no word Friday out of either Universal Orlando or SeaWorld Orlando about whether they, too, expect to raise prices soon. But Central Florida's theme-park resorts have a history of raising ticket prices at about the same time to about the same amounts.

Disney's increase came just two days after Walt Disney Co. announced a $1.1 billion corporate profit and another good quarter at the company's theme parks, where profit margins were exceeding 20 percent.

Disney officials said the price timing had nothing to do with the corporate earnings; rather, it was tied to the annual planning cycles of travel wholesalers, tour organizers and commercial publications. They need their 2008 information soon.

And there was no indication Friday that anyone expects Disney's new price to start scaring away customers.

"We strongly believe that Walt Disney World represents a great entertainment value. Our guests agree," spokesman Rick Sylvain said. "In our guests surveys, nine out of 10 rate their theme park experience from good to excellent."

Well, Disney could probably charge $100, and people would still come since every kid wants to go to Disney World. Now $71 is a lot of money, but I'd rather pay that than the $55 for Great America.

Link

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Issues of price have been discussed on some other non coaster boards I post at. And it has all come down to this: Expensiveness is in the eye of the beholder. If that even makes sense. Basically meaning, that if someone wants it bad enough, they'll fork up the money for it. So if someone wants to go to disney bad enough, they'll pay $71!

OK, but I wonder how many people actually pay $71 to get in there?

Disney World mostly trades off being a resort, so when people visit they packages for hotels and park hoppers. And there's Florida residents discount as well for the locals.

^ I was gonna say, how likley is it that somebody is going to go to Florida for something besides Disney, than decide "Well, I am gonna go to one of the Disney World Parks."

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is doesn't happen since I agree that it is possible, but I don't think it is likly.

Disney officials said the price timing had nothing to do with the corporate earnings; rather, it was tied to the annual planning cycles of travel wholesalers, tour organizers and commercial publications. They need their 2008 information soon.

Yeah, they really need to put out the 2008 prices already. I'm planning a WDW trip for January, and can't book anything until Disney bothers to put out the new pricing.

^Well the article says that almost all the prices are going up. It doesn't specifically say "park hopper", but if you read the article it's a safe bet that they will jack the prices up.

Disney on Friday announced a whole range of new ticket prices that take effect Sunday. The price changes also affect the discount packages that still can push the per-day cost below $23 for adults who want to commit to as much as a 10-day run at Disney's four theme parks.

But almost all the prices are going up. And for the second year in a row, Disney is raising its prices in August rather than in December or January, when theme parks historically announced price increases.

I still think Disney World offers excellent value for money in the experience that you get compared to any of the other chains.

Personally, I just think that Disney is going to reach a point where the price of the tickets starts to cause the attendance to drop. $71 for one park! It's probably too much for a large amount of Americans right now.

It's eventually going to start to scare some guests away, so what will happen then?

A price DROP?

Besides, these days Universal is kicking the crap out of Disney in terms of themeing and rides. (Thats just my opinion) Yet you don't see them jacking up prices constantly like the mouse is.

I don't see alot of guests happily dropping seventy-one bucks for a day at MGM or Animal Kingdom.

Excuse me, but....have you read ANY of the last 16 posts?

If you knew about the way that Disney works, you'll know that it won't really make much difference. Very few people acutally pay $71 just for one day. In fact this $71 day ticket shouldn't really be the crux of this topic, because that affects very little people. It's the park hoppers and the passes which are the ones to watch out for.

But even those price hikes won't make much difference, because Disney is big enough to trade off its name alone.

Wow, for only $50 more you can buy a Cedar Fair Maxx Pass!

I remember that my Florida Annual Pass back in 1994 was just over $100, then again you could still find gas for under $1!

Yeah, I don't think that Cedar Fair sells anywhere near as high quality of a product as Disney World does. There's a reason that the top 8 parks last year for attendance in the world were all Disney parks.

I don't really see what the big deal is. If you think it's too expensive, don't go. Disney surely has no shortage of people wanting to go. I'm planning a WDW trip for January, and the cost is going to be about $1,200 per person for 5 days staying at a deluxe resort, and including airfare, tickets, car rental, and all meals. Price out how much 5 days in Maui would cost you. Can you even fly to Maui for $1,200?

Yeah, I don't think that Cedar Fair sells anywhere near as high quality of a product as Disney World does. There's a reason that the top 8 parks last year for attendance in the world were all Disney parks.

Well of course you know if you park hop- Disney loves you because they get to count you at both parks in one day. And what is this quality you speak of? The Disney/MGM Studios has what five or six rides plus a few shows...that's more than $10 a ride at that price. If CP charged that gate admission would be over $600. It also depends upon which attendance lists you look at and how these figures are tabulated. And don't make the assumption that because something is popular that it is the best.

I am by no means a CP fan boy- I haven't even been there yet this year

I don't really see what the big deal is. If you think it's too expensive, don't go. Disney surely has no shortage of people wanting to go.

Actually they are down a bit from say the late 1990's park to park and of course the typical American reaction of anything slowing down even just a bit is to jack up the prices to make the same amount of money even if this means that you are going to loose even more customers as a result which is why companies like Wal-Mart make a killing in this country because they hold their prices low and ride the storm of flucuation.

I'm planning a WDW trip for January, and the cost is going to be about $1,200 per person for 5 days staying at a deluxe resort, and including airfare, tickets, car rental, and all meals. Price out how much 5 days in Maui would cost you. Can you even fly to Maui for $1,200?

Interesting to compare a theme park trip to a trip to Maui- but okay- for $1200 I could easily do a full theme park trip through lets say PA and catch Kennywood, Knoebels, Dorny, and a few other small ones plus see a few city sites on the way and come out having experienced a full state, 100's of rides, and more as opposed to...what was WDW's last total ride count? 60? And that is of course if you can hit all of them since they now close the park as early as 7pm even in mid-to-late August.

I'm just saying that this is one more reason that it will be a very long time if ever that I return to WDW- serverly cut services and park hours, continually raising prices, and increasingly rude employees, sorry Cast Members (you don't see them winning Golden Ticket Awards for Friendliness). There are just so many parks with far more offerings than "a name" that I could do for that much.

My goodness this topic is a loaded gun. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're into hard core coasters and thrill rides, disney is definitely NOT the place for you. That being said, I'd take WDW over BGA any day. I was there for the first time in months yesterday...the employees were rude, the park was dirty (trash and people smoking everywhere) and everything I rode needed noticable refurb with the exception of Montu. It is very rare that you find any of those things at any of the WDW parks. Therefore, I don't mind paying more for something that is of superior quality.

Bring on the Disney fanboy accusations baby.....

Well of course you know if you park hop- Disney loves you because they get to count you at both parks in one day. And what is this quality you speak of? The Disney/MGM Studios has what five or six rides plus a few shows...that's more than $10 a ride at that price. If CP charged that gate admission would be over $600. It also depends upon which attendance lists you look at and how these figures are tabulated. And don't make the assumption that because something is popular that it is the best.

Quality comes from the fact that Disney invests far more into their parks than CF does, because they have far more cash. Are you going to see a $100+ million attraction at CP anytime soon? Nope. CP has just a handful of hotels, none of them anywhere near the league of a Disney deluxe resort. Heck, you can't even get a great meal at CP. TGI Friday's doesn't count.

Yes, you're absolutely right that you can get more rides in for the same money elsewhere. But when it comes to a total vacation destination, I'd rather go to WDW than any of the other US parks I've been to.

OK, but I wonder how many people actually pay $71 to get in there?

Disney World mostly trades off being a resort, so when people visit they packages for hotels and park hoppers. And there's Florida residents discount as well for the locals.

I did. Once.

Disney's main goal is to get you to buy the 7-10 day tickets, the savings is tremendous after three day tickets. How can you argue and additional $2 a day? Wanna go one day? Pay the price.

Actually they are down a bit from say the late 1990's park to park and of course the typical American reaction of anything slowing down even just a bit is to jack up the prices to make the same amount of money even if this means that you are going to loose even more customers as a result which is why companies like Wal-Mart make a killing in this country because they hold their prices low and ride the storm of flucuation.

Do your research. Attendance has been up.