TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2 people died in a fairground accident in France.

2 people died after one of the gondolas on the Booster giant swing ride fell to the ground. 2 other rides seriously injured.

This accident happened Saturday evening at the Fete Des Loge near Paris. I could not find any information in English but what I understood is that the ride is called Booster which is 40 meters giant swing ride. One of the 2 gondolas left the main arm of the ride and hit the ground.

Both victims are father and son from the same family.

I guess a French member will give us some more information about what went wrong.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh! I'm really surprised you've heard about this accident!

Well what can I say more? You're completely right!

For the moment, we only have some informations about it, but I think tomorrow it will be in first on the TV news, maybe I be able to show you an article from TF1 (it's the first channel^^)....

That accident is really horrible! Imagine juste one second how are the bodies!

Here's a translation of some french news site's report...

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/fr/nouvelles/france/20070805-accident-mortel-fete-foraine-loges-manege-forain.html

Two persons were killed and two seriously injured others Saturdays to the Party of the Lodgings of Saint-Germain-en-Laye in the carousel accident, the most serious arisen one in a carnival party for technical reasons for a number of years.

This spectacular, intervened accident towards 18H50, probably is had to the "rupture of a mechanical element" attraction "Booster", according to the prefecture of the Yvelines.

The "Booster", of a total weight of 28 tons, is a big articulated arm revolving around an axis with, to every extremity, a gondola taking four passengers. It can attain the speed of 90 km/heure and carry out thirteen turns to the minute.

"The one of the gondolas crashed to the ground on the central podium provoking the death of two persons", specified to the afp a judicial source, confirming a France information 2.

According to a carnival one Party of the Lodgings, joins by the afp, the two deceased persons were located in the same gondola with the two injured others. These four persons - same family - were installed two by two and back to back in the gondola where they solidly were docked.

"The support of the one of the two gondolas, with four persons, then opened and the gondola came to hit the ground provoking the death of two of its passengers", specified this carnival one.

The victims are a father and his son, 48 years old and 21 years, native of the Valley-d one' Oise, according to the assistant mayor of German Saint, Maurice Solignac. According to the prefecture of the Yvelines, the injured persons, an uncle and the brother of 14 years of the young killed man, were it seriously.

Two other persons, injured and blocked nos to 36 meters of top in the second gondola, finally were descended in reminder little before 01h00 by the firemen that had tronçonner blocks it security keeping them in the gondola. The solution of the hélitreuillage by a helicopter of the civil Security finally was not kept.

A representative of the Italian group Fabbri, the manufacturer of the vehicle, was awaited Sunday on the places. According to the person in charge of the carnival Xavier Saguet, it is a matter of a machine "dating back to three years" that "underwent the verifications habitual securities", which ones "not nothing had revealed of abnormal one".

This accident is the most serious arisen one in a carnival party for a number of years because of security problems or technical. The investigation was confided in the judicial police.

In April, 23 persons had been injured in a carousel accident of a park of attractions of Tournehem-sur-la-Hem (Not-of-Wedged).

In August 2005 to Holy paul (Oise), four persons seriously had been injured after summer éjectées of a type gondola "big eight" after this one had disconnected itself from others.

The same year to Rambervillers (Vosges), a man of 46 years was dead while leaning itself outside a gondola, his head having bumped the central arm of the carousel.

The Party of the Lodgings, that dates back to 1652, musters on eight hectares in the forest of Saint-Germain-en-Laye some 150 attractions (traditional carousels, shooting stands and lotteries, artificial attractions). She opened June 29 and will close its harbors August 19.

And here I was thinking the next French death I would hear about would be because they don't build fences around their rides. I guess I forgot to take into account that people have a bit more common sense over there.

Sad news. It seems to be a bad week for the Amusement industry. When it rains it pours this year, unfortunately.

Hello , I have found these photos on the Internet :

Forum : http://www.ameworld.net/forum/index.php?s=cdd4aa87276d977a812c91bed1c07502&showtopic=16264

It was in the Fête des Loges at Saint Germain en Laye next to Paris . When I watch again the forum , I read it was an error of Fabbri : it is a problem of soudure ( I don't know the word in English ) between the car and the axe of rotation . You will find other informations in French on the link for Ameworld .

My god, 2007 must be one of the worst years in history for accidents! I would say there have been at least 1 if not 2 a month! I really feel sorry for the people involved, this was not the riders fault. My prayers go out to the members of their family and the unlucky public who witnessed this horrible incident.

Here;'s a report off IHT: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/05/europe/EU-GEN-France-Amusement-Park-Deaths.php

A father and son were killed at a fairground outside Paris when a mechanical ride malfunctioned, throwing them violently to the ground, police said.

Two other family members were seriously injured late Saturday on the "Booster" ride at the fairground in Saint-Germain-en-Laye west of Paris, which has two spinning mechanical arms with baskets for passengers at each end.

One of the arms broke off, sending a basket crashing to the ground, police said. The victims were not immediately identified, but police said they were a 48-year-old man and his 21-year-old son. Two other members of the family, also in the basket, were hospitalized.

Firefighters rescued two other people who were trapped for hours in the ride's other basket, about 36 meters (120 feet) from the ground. Rescuers used ladders to reach the two — who were unharmed — then sawed through a safety bar to pull them free. Officials used cords to lower them to the ground.

Xavier Saguet, an official for the Fete des Loges, said the ride had recently undergone a safety check that found "nothing abnormal." Police were investigating the accident. The Fete des Loges, France's oldest fair, is held every summer and traces its history back to 1652.

Seems like Boosters are getting a bad name, it's not the first time one has been involved in a incident at a fair. I'll be interested to see how this one pans out.

I rekocgnise these pics, the guy who put it is also a memember of Coastersworld forum, and he told us, that he was there, but like nearly everyone he didn't hear anything because of all the noise...

Here a Tv article extracted from the news of the 2nd channel (France 2)

http://jt.france2.fr/13h/

Go on "accident manège à la fête des loges, 2 morts" you'll see the attraction...

I am really scared of these rides because they just look flimsy and it doesn't help my fear of heights... Can't believe an accident actually occured on one, now there's no chance I'll ever ride one. My one spin on a KMG SPeed was more than enough for me.

My thoughts go out to the family, what a tragedy.

This is an article extracted from Le Monde:

Une information judiciaire a été ouverte, mardi 7 août, pour "homicide involontaire" après l'accident de manège qui a coûté la vie à deux personnes et blessé quatre autres, samedi soir à Saint-Germain-en-Laye. Cette information, confiée au doyen des juges d'instruction de Versailles, a été ouverte après que l'enquête a conclu à "un défaut de fabrication et de conception" du manège qui s'est écrasé, de type Booster.

"Une insuffisance dans le bras cassé a été décelée", a-t-on appris de source proche du dossier, alors que le parquet de Paris imputait ce défaut de fabrication au "sous-traitant à qui l'exécution avait été confiée", qui "n'aurait pas respecté les prescriptions du cahier des charges de l'entreprise donneur d'ordre". En conséquence, tous les Boosters installés en France devront être soit "réparés" soit "changés" à cause de "la fatigue constatée sur les métaux", ce qui suppose leur arrêt momentané.

L'enquête a par ailleurs révélé que les contrôles effectués étaient insuffisants puisqu'ils ne mettaient pas en évidence la résistance ou l'usure des métaux qui composent l'attraction.

I can't translate all the article but I'm going to try to explain some important parts....:

So they said the accident happened because of a weakness of a metallic peace wich was to much slim.... The fault isn't Fabbri's, Fabbri has only designed the Booster, it's because of those who built the Booster...

Finally all the Boosters must be repaired or must change the piece...

So I wish you'll understand the most important in this "story"....