TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Floorless X-Car!

I know there are a lot of complaints about the X-Car being uncomfortable (I myself have yet to ride one, though I would definitely like to), but this looks like a wonderfully sick update - I can't imagine what being that free during an inversion would feel like.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Simply following the fad without any real difference in quality? Whatever your thoughts, it's definitely marketable.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there following the fads, but hey I rode SheiKra floorless and it was SO much better, so I think this will improve the ride, but it wont do much difference unless they change the restraints, but I dont see any other way they could change the restraint with a floorless car, unless its an OTS restraint, which are sometimes annoying.

I wonder what kind of floor retracting system this car would use to load, and unload. Thats the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this train.

I personally have never been on an x-car coaster but they IMO look like a lot of fun!

-coastakid

I know there are a lot of complaints about the X-Car being uncomfortable (I myself have yet to ride one, though I would definitely like to), but this looks like a wonderfully sick update - I can't imagine what being that free during an inversion would feel like.

The restraints are the whole idea behind the X-Car. It's designed from the beginning as an OTSR-free looping restraint. The way it works is slightly kind of like a European handcuff -- it's an elliptical curve that passes increasing through a ratcheting catch, thus tightening, and yet fitting more or less symmetrically about the waist.

It could stand a bit more padding, but it's a neat system. And I've been inverted in one for 5 minutes before.

Someone has a system somewhat like this, where it's a standard lapbar, with a translating ratchet that tightens the entire structure. It's less elegant, but seems to work about the same. I don't remember who had that, though. I want to say Compounce's Thunder and Lightning does.

I'm sorry to tell you this: I've already seen this picture on their web site, a few months ago!

This isn't a scoop!

Yes, I have seen the floorless X-Car picture(s) as well on the Maurer-Sohne website, along with other interesting designs.

I am excited to see an actual floorless roller coaster with a lap bar, if it hasn't been done already.

EDIT: ^ I don't really think the lap bar would really obstruct the riders' view. Just if you have seats in front of you, I guess.

Someone has a system somewhat like this, where it's a standard lapbar, with a translating ratchet that tightens the entire structure. It's less elegant, but seems to work about the same. I don't remember who had that, though. I want to say Compounce's Thunder and Lightning does.

I thank you for your synopsis of the system, though I already understood it.

"S&S" uses a system like this on many of their rides, including the "Screamin' Swing" and Powder Keg.

And as many negative reviews as there are about the X-Car's comfort, I still really want to try one.

I thank you for your synopsis of the system, though I already understood it.

"S&S" uses a system like this on many of their rides, including the "Screamin' Swing" and Powder Keg.

And as many negative reviews as there are about the X-Car's comfort, I still really want to try one.

Yeah, S&S Screaming Swing is the one I was thinking of. I believe the X-Car restraint is patented, which would explain why S&S's works differently.

You'd think, after riding two of the things, that I would have remembered who made it...

Yeah, S&S Screaming Swing is the one I was thinking of. I believe the X-Car restraint is patented, which would explain why S&S's works differently

S&S's New Restraints were first used on their Sky Swatter and Sky Sling when they opened them in September of 2002. Didn't the "X-Car" come out in 2003 or 2004?

- Sid

B&M floorless coasters it's only noticable in the front.

Dude it doesnt just make a difference in the front, its a HUGE difference, just the way it feels to have your feet with nothing on it is a factor, on how its changed. Theres a huge difference, its just the way you feel, with no floor, and SheiKra floorless, I rode the back row and its an amazing adjustment, you DEFINITELY notice its floorless. There is no downside to a floorless ride, I like this X-Car floorless idea.