TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mississippi River bridge collapses

odene497

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse/index.html

(CNN) -- At least three people were killed when an interstate bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapsed Wednesday evening, plunging cars and chunks of concrete into the Mississippi River below.

Mark Lacroix photographed the collapsed bridge from his apartment window.

There were "lots" of injuries, said the state Homeland Security and Emergency Management Department.

The accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. (7 p.m. ET). There were 50 to 100 cars on the bridge at the time, according to early estimates.

Lt. Amelia Huffman of the Minneapolis Police Department told CNN affiliate KARE it was "not clear at this point what caused the collapse" of the Interstate 35W bridge near University Avenue.

"We have personnel there in the rescue effort," she said. "I have never seen anything remotely like this before."

Shortly after the collapse, a tractor trailer was burning on the bridge.

Rescue workers are using boats to help remove people from the water, bringing them up on the river bank.

Aerial footage showed the middle of the bridge caved in, lying in the Mississippi River, with cars both on top and submerged in the water.

Witnesses told CNN a school bus filled with children was on the bridge when it collapsed, but they also said the bus did not drop into the water and it appeared that the children had all been evacuated.

The main part of the collapsed span is not submerged, but the span clearly separated from the land-based sections of the highway on both the north and south ends of the bridge.

Don't Miss

I-Report: Are you there? Share video, photos

Mark Lacroix, who lives on the 20th floor of an apartment building near the bridge, told CNN he saw the last seconds of the collapse.

"I heard this massive rumbling and shaking basically and looked out my window," Lacroix said. "It just fell right into the river." Watch Lacroix describe the collapse »

He said there had been construction work on the bridge in recent weeks.

Nighttime construction took place on the bridge Tuesday night and was to take place again Wednesday night, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation,

The highway would have been restricted to a single lane in both directions from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. both nights.

This is pretty crazy.

-Nick

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the bridge was being worked on at that time when this happened. Could be a structural failure or a mistake on the construction workers' part. 6 people have been found dead so far. This doesn't happen very often. I feel sorry for the people on the bridge at the time.

My hubby (who lives part-time in Minneapolis) drove across the bridge less than an hour before it collapsed. Scary as hell.

Before I finally got in touch with him, I kept getting the "all circuits busy" message. People in the Twin Cities are freaking out, understandably.

My hubby (who lives part-time in Minneapolis) drove across the bridge less than an hour before it collapsed. Scary as hell.

Before I finally got in touch with him, I kept getting the "all circuits busy" message. People in the Twin Cities are freaking out, understandably.

Wow, I'm glad he's alright.

I'm watching the news right now and they said that when the bridge was inspected in 2005, it was sited for having some structural inefficiency.

Also, the official death count is 4 at this time.

Oh man, they just showed video footage (looks to be from a traffic cam from the river shore) showing the bridge collapsing.

A security camera actually caught the collapse on video. This is just insane. Can you imagine if you were just one of the motorists on the adjacent bridge and you witnessed this? How you not cause/get into a fender bender?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4081030565795767790&q=minneapolis+bridge+collapse+security+video&total=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4