TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Alabama MisAdventure 2007

The great thing about trips is that you never know what is going to happen. A simple outing to an amusement park becomes a memorable experience in a much different way than expected. This was my Alabama Adventure.

For thoses who don't know, Alabama Adventure used to be called Visionland. It' s small and still growing park in Bessemer Alabama, not far from Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. It's about a 2 hour trip from Huntsville and is pretty popular with the locals. It's divided up into a couple sections: Magic City is the theme park and Splash Beach is the waterpark. AA's pride and joy is Rampage, a wooden coaster that anchors the back of this hilly park.

Now for the good and bad:

Good

* Very clean

* Coherent and considerate ride ops this trip

* Friendly staff this trip. A couple nice ladies went out of their way to point out shorter ticket and entrance lines. Appreciated that greatly!

* Decent admission price (roughly $32 for both Magic City and Splash Beach).

* Decent variety of attractions

* Simple park layout (never really needed a map to find things)

* Lots of fans with water sprayers to cool off people

Bad

* Needed more shady places to sit, especially around the food stalls.

* Wild River Gorge (the rapids ride) just didn't get you very wet at all which is rough on a hot day.

* Just felt like it neede something more...

For the record, I asked permission BEFORE attempting to film PoVs. No dice. AA is also on the "No PoV" bandwagon. No worries and I followed their rules.

After baking in the sun starting at 10:30 and ending about 1:30, it was bloody hot and crowded. Time to head home. Just as soon as I left the park, my car overheated. Had to drive 14 miles with engine temps pushing red before getting to an exit and gas station. Refilled the coolant, double checked everything and got back on the road.

Got back to my apartment and my air conditioner had leaked all down the wall around an electric socket and switch. On the other side of it was a steady stream of water flowing down the wall! Carpet in the corner was flooded and squishy. Additionally, my arms and upper lip were stinging. I got sun burned bad! My shaved head looked like I dipped in into boiling water, like a lobster. My forearms were the same. Unpacked my AA fridge magnets and Rampage mousepad and just laughed. Well, it was either that or cry!

To sum up, it truly was an Alabama Adventure. The park has some good potential and really is pretty good for what it is, but don't expect Six Flags or Cedar Fair. Might fall in line with the old Myrtle Beach Pavillion for size and feel. I'd give it another go.

Ok, enough of the blabbin', it's picture time! Bonus for SharkTums at the end.

2138104856_JabberJawandMichael_KingsIsland_CincinattiOhio.jpg.f4b49133599e66b55f0da7da7c29532c.jpg

This one's for SharkTums. Me and Jabber Jaw at King's Island in 1985. Completely unrelated, but amusing.

sPict0061.jpg.b68a36b42479cd6f7b948e16328b02bc.jpg

Oh, if that sucker ever came loose, it'd be wheel trouble.

sPict0067.jpg.8c210b4d7888f6506e168f1486776ef2.jpg

Ahh, the rare Southern Octopus (Biblus Beltus) in it's natural habitat...the gift shop.

sPict0063.thumb.jpg.7e89e8da7041c06f119854f4d31e3322.jpg

This creepy old guy rocked. No, really. He rocked really slow and that made him creepy.

sPict0054.jpg.514a1d7f981afa71471c18e14f24fc02.jpg

Through the tracks. Ok, fine. I got nothing on this caption.

sPict0051.jpg.2fc2695862ca5b1c0771de54f120b466.jpg

And I will call it Mini Coaster...

sPict0056.jpg.aedf92fd49fde34879a27f2d3867303e.jpg

I like that boulder. That is a nice boulder...through the trees.

sPict0071.thumb.jpg.1f815ff5092c46e936cac45e7c91ac4f.jpg

Too late. Uh, Turtle Power?

sPict0042.jpg.416a07b0807f4204d9deb69f4723cab7.jpg

Hey! You with the camera! Look out for the big fuzzy orange turtle!

sPict0038.jpg.4ba3e1d690389fe35cc6deb8fcd4e0ba.jpg

It's a Dan aproved rapids ride.

sPict0005.jpg.d33080a633dfc39a10847879400e6713.jpg

Now we know where the "Soul Glo" people sat.

sPict0014.thumb.jpg.054143bce3ac6b17e757c310791cdbe5.jpg

Rising wood. The Log Flume lift hill.

sPict0016.jpg.5150f510ea610e410d1d6ff2dad22278.jpg

Foxy Himilaya!

sPict0026.jpg.3a5d6d36b2551d47e560cb6d01365f82.jpg

Yep, Stratus Fear is still neutered.

sPict0018.jpg.f5e9353214f457ad3cf91cf403081eb4.jpg

Kneel before Zod, er Rampage.

sPict0028.jpg.0d86d9dec40a7ae7cd626847b0ad12f2.jpg

sPict0027.jpg.86f8e424281bfaf04bf10b41b4233f33.jpg

Snappy caption not found.

sPict0025.jpg.1eed0f72f7aeec68c34beffda5d490ee.jpg

How do I end up with these loop guy photos? I must have a one track mind...hope enjoys 'em.

sPict0020.jpg.ad57be9dd4baebbb086b3c363e7fdbaa.jpg

Zoomerang...through the hill.

sPict0010.jpg.34481875353c40ac48949daf582921a0.jpg

Wheely decent skyline.

sPict0011.jpg.380da23cec18e2f1fe23e95840cc1bf8.jpg

The foliage prepares for ambush.

sPict0068.jpg.f381cb960c5e1b736c2d27718d43bb8f.jpg

The sign reads "Splash Beach", but it says "Too crowded. Don't bother. Get you funnel cake and a corndog."

sPict0059.jpg.682a33ca06e2628559a7376e3132e965.jpg

The main street area. Every park should have one.

sPict0072.jpg.263874eb96b1374aab9cfe3fff600b97.jpg

Hmmm...what curious sponsors. Insert regional humor or current events joke here.

sPict0002.jpg.ff8c9a48d2fc7069922db9c77bbade2b.jpg

Amp? Check. Diffuser? Check. Pocket size Buddha? Check. Ready for action!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice TR. The only beef I have with the park is the location of the Boomerange. I know that was probably the only place the could add it but its ugly sitting up there....the colors make it look really bland and uninviting.

I get sick from most rides. Only rode 2 rollercoasters in my life and both left me feeling like a bad hang over crossed with jet lag. Ironic because I love theme parks and the atmosphere. Video and pictures grew out of having to sit rides out. Yep, held the bags too. No worries, just found different ways to have fun. I catch shows or do a little shopping too and still have a great time. That's why rapids are a big deal, can ride it, don't get ill.

Part of me would love to ride coasters very much, but it just doesn't work out so well. Weird huh? LOL!

As opposed to the usual off center perspectives? Hey thanks. I still have fun and enjoy talking shop. Been reading this site for a while and really love the vibe. It's fun and that's all it should be. Glad to be here and use my creativity to contribute to a positive thing.

You folks and your adventures are a riot!

I get sick from most rides. Only rode 2 rollercoasters in my life and both left me feeling like a bad hang over crossed with jet lag. Ironic because I love theme parks and the atmosphere. Video and pictures grew out of having to sit rides out. Yep, held the bags too. No worries, just found different ways to have fun. I catch shows or do a little shopping too and still have a great time. That's why rapids are a big deal, can ride it, don't get ill.

Part of me would love to ride coasters very much, but it just doesn't work out so well. Weird huh? LOL!

I think it's great that the sight is so awesome, (being a contributor and everything ) that even a non-coaster enthusiast likes to hang out here!

^ But...but...but.... I really AM a coaster enthusiast. I even build them in RCT3. I've ridden 2 in real life (5 if you count my last 3 love relationships using the Jeff Johnson system)....that counts sorta? Right?

Sounds like the logic is that if you don't currently ride, you aren't really a coaster enthusiast, and that's cool. No worries.

This is still great place to be!

Now we know where the "Soul Glo" people sat.

You win for that caption. I remember that film quite well.

You beat me to it. Random, and sometimes obscure movie quotes in trip reports are great!

Oh yeah, and Rampage is great. Well, at least it was a few years ago...the last time we rode it.

Scott "just let your souuuuuuul glo" B.

I love quoting from that movie, and that was a perfect picture to use the Soul Glo reference for.

Very cool that you like themeparks and coasters, even with them making you feel sick. I have a brother that's the same way, loves going to parks, but is content holding bags, watching any kids with the group, etc., because coasters make him sick. Back before there were kids to watch, he was content taking a book into a park and reading while we waited in lines.

Glad to see you here on TPR!

Thanks Coasternerdette! There were times that friends got off rides and said "Dude, you were the smart one by not going on the ride." I just smiled because it was all I could do after pointing and laughing hysterically at them as they ripped by me in sheer terror.

Hey, parks and coasters are awesome and that's why I joined this most excellent board. Station!

You beat me to it. Random, and sometimes obscure movie quotes in trip reports are great!

Oh yeah, and Rampage is great. Well, at least it was a few years ago...the last time we rode it.

Scott "just let your souuuuuuul glo" B.

Yeah, I dunno. I'd be skeptical to travel to Alabama just to ride one CCI woodie. I'd be pretty disappointed if it turned out to be yet another unmaintained POS. With the exception of a few places it seems like CCI is French for "wooden coaster that we don't maintain". Nothing against CCI, of course.

Yeah, I dunno. I'd be skeptical to travel to Alabama just to ride one CCI woodie.

You should be skeptical about traveling to 'bama for anything in the first place.

If indeed Rampage is starting to turn to crap, then 'bama now officially has absolutely NOTHING to offer anyone. Well, wait.....no I was right the first time...NOTHING. Okay, unless you're a Tide or War Eagle fan. In that case, it still falls under the definition of nothing in my book.

Look at it this way, if you're near Birmingham or Tuscaloosa and want

something fun to do that's close, Alabama Adventure is great for that.

No, it's not a destination park that someone is going to drive a couple

states/several hours to go do. 2 hours from Huntsville was even a bit

long, but it's a park worth doing, and I'd give it another go. Most of

the time, folks trek to Dollywood or Six Flags, since they're the

biggest and closest.

As for nothing to do in Alabama, we'uns (that's ya'll plus 3) like to

skin possum down by the crik on a Saturday night. Ain't nothin like

skinnin a possum with the one you love, especially if it's fresh off the

road. Now that's some good eatin right there! Hooo Dogggy! After that,

it's snipe huntin, and thems quick!

Now if you'll excuse me, I got me a banjo to tune and people to make

squeel...like pigs. Oink.