TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever been a guinea pig? (ie first after breakdown)

So have you ever been a guinea pig?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. So have you ever been a guinea pig?

• Yes
    • No

I don't know about everyone else but being first on is kinda a weird feeling to me. So have you ever experienced it and on what ride. If you know anything about the breakdown that would be kinda fun too.

(BTW this is more of an excuse to play with the POLL I am sure everyone has had this experience at least once.)

Personally my most recent experience was early last summer when I went to Elitches to try out the Half Pipe. Well it was down about half the day and then they said it was getting close so they would allow people to line up. Well we waited about 45 minutes and were the first on. That was a very interesting ride because it is very possible to be accelerated sideways to start and rotating at the top while getting airtime is pretty cool. Still I can't tell you how sick I was feeling watching the thing run up and down with the poles swaying and them having trouble releasing the restraints at times.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I remember another time which was similar. One time when I went to Six Flags Over Texas we were going to go on Shockwave and watched as the lift slowed incredibly and stalled on multiple occasions while we were in line. I remember how slow that climb to the top was thinking it was definitely going to die and they were gonna have to get us out. Finally after what seemed like an eternity we went over the top and ran the course. Then I looked back and the people that got in the train after us were stalled on the lift...

Last year in movie world madrid i got stuck on batman. We were like 1 meter from the top and we stalled. So after 5 minutes a guy comes walking up the stairs and starts talking weird spanish, and we just said OK whatever. I think we were stuck there for 30 min.

Also one time the coach of Robin hood (SFH) had to much resistance and couldnt make the turn, so it rolled back. That was one of my best experiences ever 8)

I was on Superman at SFOG and the train I was on got stuck in the brakes for 15 min. When I got off the train, I was lightheaded and a little bit dizzy. I don't mind being stuck on coasters but flyers are one type of coaster I never want to be stuck on again.

Yeah thats definately NOT fun... being stuck on a midcourse or breaks on a coaster and just sitting there is one thing, but laying on your stomach is another.

I remember when we went to SFoG in 2002 of Fall to do the Superman Shooting for a TV commercial, they had is in lockdown mode for quite some time, sometimes very inconvenient and uncomfortable, locking our restraints in the station for 40minutes, laying us in the breaks on and off, and even riding the coaster too many times was enough to make your chins sore from laying on the "leg rests" ouch...

As far as feeling like a guinea pig, I was one of the lucky first people to ever ride the front of Swamp Thing at Cypress Gardens, we went there to wait to get the credit and the guy says "hey if your willing to ride come on up, we're going to send the trains on through with people in it to see how it runs!" Heh... lucky us...

-Justin "I will never be the first to test a Vekoma again!!"

I work at Dueling Dragons so every morning or when we add trains we get to be guinea pigs.. just pray they put everything back on right!

Aside from that though.. I've never done much being a guinea pig. Was on the first train out on Batwing for the day once.. at like 3 pm when they opened it. Vekoma and being a guinea pig is something I don't want to have anything to do with.

Eric

Hmm...I'm getting the "No posts exist for this topic" if I try to look at page two, but page 1 works ok.

Anyone else getting this?

--Robb

*The board already makes a new page when the first page is full, but that second page does not yet contain any data *

I have been a guinea pig twice. Once on AIR. It was ERT and we got to the bottom of the lift and it stopped. Ended up laying in the prone position for 30 mins before a engineer got the lift going again. It was a good ride though. Especially as it was my first ever 'big' coaster.

And Robbeal, you say you got stuck on Inferno at Thorpe Park? I was at the park one day in August aswell and it broke down for like most fo the day with a train being evaced on the saftey brakes. I was the first person out on the track when it reopend front row. Maybe you saw me? I was in a red Nemesis Inferno jumper. Spent about a hour chatting with the ops down at the ride entrance before it finally opened.

The problem was that when they dispatched a train the ride computer would unlock the restraints. Not sure if that is possible, but I got the info of the ride ops which are also copaster enthusiasts. Anyway, luckily only one disptach button was pressed, and for Inferno and other Beemers I think, both station and console buttons have to be pressed for the ride to dispatch. So one was pressed and the restraints popped up.

The ride was closed for a while and they did evac some people on the saftey brakes. But the wait was worth it, front row in the evening sun on the first train out. It rocked!

^ Possibly then. It was a monday, end of the August bank-holiday. I was stood chatting to a ride op waiting for it too. When they re-opened it, me and my 2 mates were the first ones, running up the queueline. Sad, yes, I was planning on keeping up with them though.

You've just reminded me that I got stuck in the prone position on Air too, but in the station. They got us back down, sent the train around a few times, then let us back on. Missed a massive downpour while waiting though!

^ Possibly then. It was a monday, end of the August bank-holiday. I was stood chatting to a ride op waiting for it too. When they re-opened it, me and my 2 mates were the first ones, running up the queueline. Sad, yes, I was planning on keeping up with them though.

lol. Small world...

I was the first person all day in the park on RotM. I was with my cousin's group for a field trip, and was literally the first person all day to walk through the park gates (including the tour guide), and the first one to board Mummy (back seat, of course). We were there so early, that we had conquered the park before anyone else came.

Three times believe it or not -- I was on the loch ness monster at BGW and got stuck on the lift for 20 minutes, also was on Borg Assimilator at Carowinds and was stuck at the bottom of the lift for at least 10 minutes(trust me that is not a comfortable position), and I was stuck on Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney for at least 20 minutes...felt like the longest 20 of my life because they kept playing the song over and over again.

--David "yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me" Johnson

I've been a guinea pig on the claw (my avatar on the left) quite alot in the past when it first opened. Basically it was having problems docking back into the station and so the floor wouldn't lift up. Not only have I been stuck for about ten minutes on it but I've been a tester on it afterwards.

I was also on the first official ride ever on it, and we had a specially altered ride that went on for twice as long and was on the maximum velocity settings. I definitely didn't feel too good after riding it for over four minutes.

Also, I rode the TOT (dreamworld) recently by myself after an e-brake had happened. Basically I was given a media pass to take onride footage and so I was the guinea pig for that.

It was just utterly awesome because there was no load, and so i did 161 kilometres. Just fantastic.