TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever been a guinea pig? (ie first after breakdown)

So have you ever been a guinea pig?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. So have you ever been a guinea pig?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have, front seat on Millennium Force in 2002. We sat in the seat and they were having troubles with the restraints (of all things) and they asked us to step back in line. While they were fixing it, one of those infamous lake storms rolled in and pounded the crap out of us. We were in the best spot to be in though... First up on Millennium Force in the front seat. That was the single greatest ride on the Force I have ever experienced.

• 11 months later...

I was a guinea pig for Spin Doctor up in Blackpool which is a Booster. They kept having restraint problems, send us off, back on, made us switch seats and everything else they could think of until they let us ride, but they didn't do anything different to all the times they'd said it was too dangerous. That was a bit scary.

My favorite one would have to be doing the safety ride on Flashback after it had not been operated for about a year, and then not having the ride open at all (Almost all the major rides in the park were closed or down for whatever reason)...It was quite fun!

Also, I was one of the first people on Deja Vu and X before they opened to the public...Come to think of it...That was the last time I was ever on those rides!

I was a guinea pig for Face Off at PKI. It serisously scared the crap out of me! The train valleyed (Well, the breaks on the loop set in and stopped the train) between the loop and the second spike, so they did the normal thing and got the train into the station by means of the second spike. Now, once they got everybody off, they tested the breaks (I could hear them popping from the station), then they boarded us! They sent NO test train at all! I was freaking out the whole ride, especially sence it was my first Invertigo!

Another time, I got first ride on Montu after a major thunder storm that lasted 4 hours, and yes I waited in the station the whole time! And that also was my first ride on Montu...

Colin C

• 7 months later...

the latest 1 was when i went 2 Disney's California Adventure, i went on2 California Screamin' a couple of times and then about ten minutes after i had got off of the ride they said it was closed down because of technical dificulties (they couldn't dispatch the trains and the restraints were locked) about 2 hours later i went back and got in line just in case it would open back up and about an hour later they said that they were letting people back on2 the ride and i was the first person 2 get in2 the car (because i was first in line i got the front row!) it was kinda weird being on it right after the ride had been broken 4 a few hours, but it was way better than the other 2 times i had been on it.

i have, many times.

Air at Alton Towers, the restrasints kept getting stuck closed on one of the trains. we managed to get right at the front!!! only problem was, we got stuck on it for at least half an hour after :\

Colossus at Thrope Park. with the restraints, they werent locking properly. stood there for 3 and a half hours to get on it.

Samurai at Thorpe Park. once again, restraints woulndt close for some of the rides. we sat down, the bars came down, the ride was about to start and all the bars were released automatically.

Ramesis Revenge at Chessington. got stuck on it (restraints, bloody hell, lol) while it was set to one of its extreme routines, nearly threw up over the girls in front of me.

madame tussauds seems to be having some problems, or the theme parks just hate me

Yeh i have been the first public rider on stealth after it borke down. THe catch car wasn't aligning properly, so we got in our seeats and then the brakes went down as usual but only the first set then they went straight baack up again and we were sitting there for 5 minutes before they got us out. They then rolled both trains back so one was in the unload area and the other in the small brake section before the station then they had to manually align the catch before we got back in and got our ride

I helped out test the block brakes on the Jet Star coaster while it was at Knoebels. Even had to evacuate onto the catwalks when testing the block brake after the 540 degree helix due to a design flaw. The flaw was that the apex of the 540 degree helix (where the block brake is) was lower than the next hill so the car would roll off the block brake then stop half-way up the hill on the anti-rollback system. The catwalk was not long enough to reach the side of the stalled car, so we all had to climb to the front of the car and then step off onto the catwalk. What's worse is that the "catwalk" was actually two pieces of 2X8 planks nailed together!

Many times. Usually the BORG at CAR. If I see it cycling empty trains, I haul tail towards it. Also, once this summer I did it twice in one day at SFOG. SUF and Deja, first train after breakdowns. On Deja it was after a typical 2.5 hr, two-to-three breakdown wait (which I personally was against, as I have the credit, but the people with me - aside from my girl - didnt).

Well...no....but I'm going to be a different type of one soon....here's the story:

We're going to Knott's on October 9th....last time we went, ghostride hurt. Since they just did rehab on it, we're going to try it again. I get to be the lucky guy to test ride it to deem it safe or unsafe....so I guess you can call me one in that way......

Wish me luck!

I actually have been the one to ride a coaster right after it breaks down on:

Twister II(1)

Raging Bull(2)

Viper(1)

Superman: Ultimate Flight(2)

Whizzer(1)

American Eagle(1)

I actually like to ride after a coaster breaks down since I feel better after I get off.