TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFOG's Goliath's New Terrible Locker Policy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I am speaking for every man out there, because I will never be caught alive in a fanny pack.

So basically...if you're not willing to wear a fanny pack because it's important to you to make a fashion statement at a park, but you require so many random objects with you at a park, too many to put into cargo shorts that you NEED to bring some kind of back pack, then you pay $2 if you want to ride Goliath and you don't have anyone to leave your bag with while you ride.

I don't see an issue with that. Am I the ONLY one?

--Robb "I seriously do not understand why people NEED to bring a back pack to a park..." Alvey

This is why I wear cargo pants, they are comfy, and you can put your stuff in them. Seriously. And like Robb said it is A FREAKING DOLLAR. Big deal. Compared to what they charge for everything else, thats a bargain. But Id still never wear a fanny pack....

People, save up some money for cargo shorts if your so drat worried about "looking like a tourist" with a fanny pack on. You can get a decent pair of cargo shorts for $20 that have zipper pockets.

As for backpacks, the only time I'd probably wear a backpack is probably when I become a parent of young children and drag along a diaper bag. Other than that, a backpack is extra drag that is more of an inconvenience. Same with souvenir cups and popcorn buckets.

Again, just save some money for cargo shorts (and look for a pair with a zipper pocket(s)).

Again, I think a much bigger deal should be made out of the fact that certain parks won't even let you have stuff in a zippered pocket. To me, that should be where the outrage is focused, since these parks don't seem to understand common sense. But perhaps I'm in the minority on this.

All of this stuff is why I'd much rather spend the money to go to parks outside of the US. So much less trouble than visiting most places here.

dt

Well, the ride is only 4400 feet long, and it was kinda shoehorned into the park (hence the 45 degree lift hill). If they had added a second station or MCBR to enable 3 trains, the ride would not have nearly as many air hills.

It didn't make sense to go with three trains when the ride is only 4400 feet, since if they could run three trains, it would stack and probably double stack.

Yeah, but they could have installed a longer ride with more capacity if they had really wanted to. If Indiana Beach can squeeze 5 coasters into a tiny boardwalk, then SFOG could have a B&M hyper as long as the others. Raging Bull is squeezed into a smaller footprint. Though Goliath is a much better ride, except for the first drop.

Since I really haven't been to that many theme parks, I didn't realize that many parks had an enforced "put stuff in lockers" rule. I think I would be annoyed if I found out I had to pay to put stuff away, while I would pay it if I had to, I wouldn't be happy about it, and it would make me less likely to return.

I think the same can be applied to the GP, who will overpay for stuff, but then won't come back as often if they're dissatisfied.

To me, it all comes down to the fact that you "have to" pay for the lockers. Apparently, Busch Gardens and Cedar Points (both of which I've never visited) have this policy too at some rides. Well, honestly, I'd be disgruntled at that too if it was enforced. It may be only two bucks in the grand scheme of things, but it just seems like an insidious way of grabbing as much cash as you can.

Then again, I'm a cheap Asian.

Although I have to say... what if you're the type of person who brings a bottle of water with you so you can stay hydrated? Is it your fault if you're unhappy you have to pay two dollars to store a bottle of water in a locker (you've gotta have some huge cargo pants if you can fit a standard 20 ounce bottle in a pocket)?

I am still lost, I see a lot of men with Fannie Packs on in Parks. I would have never thought about that. The point of it is that it is functional, but I am in my 40's and I never even would think of looking at that and I am very fashionable and listen to hip-hop hahahahahhaha!!!!!!

Other people wear worse than a fanny pack to a park you know.

But when I go to HP in a week and a half, my mom usually wears the fanny pack and I usually hold the backpack with all the swimsuits and towels in. Plus, I usually bring my camera bag. We usually have no problem with this because we can just give the bags to a non-rider or put the stuff in the bag drop areas.

Here's more news from screamscape. Looks like it affects SFA now.

A reader tells us that the same new mandatory locker police added to Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia was also added to Wild One and Superman at Six Flags America earlier this season and has been generating pretty much the same negative reaction there from park guests. These lockers also share the same over the top price point of $2 for a 3 hour window, one time use, where if you leave anything in them for more than 3 hours, they will charge you $5 per each additional hour afterwards. Apparently the official word from management to the staff is that it isn’t a money generating concept (yeah, right…) but rather an attempt to improve capacity on the rides, since the blame for slow load times was being placed on riders and not slow ride ops. I guess that riddle has now been answered since apparently the load times have not improved at all. To be fair SFA has been well documented over the years in countless trip reports online for seeming to have some of the slowest ride ops in the world however, most far too busy talking with each other or sending text messages to friends, something I know I certainly witnesses first hand on my one and only visit to the park years ago.

So $5 for an additional hour after the 3 hrs. Well, who really stores stuff in a locker for 4 hrs unless what you're storing is very valuable or you REALLY hate to carry it around.

That is ridiculous regardless if you're a enthusiast or a regular joe. $2 just to rent a locker for that short amount of time is outrageous. Bad enough you gotta pay for your ticket, parking, and food, which are all overpriced, but now $2 for a locker just to ride Goliath?? Yeah, yeah you probably thinking "what u expect, its a theme park, everything's expensive", but its just the principle of it. Had it been cheaper like .50 or at most $1, it wouldn't get as many negative remarks as it is now. Does it really take that long to just put your stuff in a bin and get to your seat?

The majority of the times when I see long load times, its mostly the ride ops slowly securing everyone into their restraints. If a ride op sees someone with a loose article, let them know to store it in a bin BEFORE they get on. Countless of times I see people take about 3 or 5 seconds to store their items and get back to thier seats.

Goliath has one the shortest wait times at SFoG even with a long line. But I'm pretty sure with that new rule the loading capcity is going to be LONGER because I bet alot of people is going to be unaware of it or not paying attention to the signs. Its sucks that Six Flags would do that to my #1 ride ever...(even though it doesnt directly affects me, but like I said, its the priciples)

$5 an hour after the first 3 hours is ridiculous. It's bad enough it's $2 for a one time use locker but the $2 should cover the entire time you are using the locker since it is one time use.

What happens if the line is 2 hours and you want to ride twice? After you ride, you have to open the locker, put another $2 in or you are going to be charged another $5 instead? And what happens on crowded days where the line could be over 3 hours (I'm sure those days are rare but do happen maybe on a Frightfest Saturday), then you have to pay $7 for the locker.

Well if someone is at the park for their yearly trip, they will pay the fee because they have been looking to the trip for a while. If they pay the $50 to enter, $15 to park, $10 for lunch, and $2 for a locker, they won't complain. While it is inconvenient for season pass holders, the GP probably won't think much about it. Here is an idea, leave your stuff in the car, or if you must bring stuff in, I'm sure there are lockers you can rent for longer times elsewhere in the park, so rent one of those. Basically, the GP won't care, and it only costs two damn dollars, so it is just a small price compared to other things in the park. As Robb said, amusement parks are an expensive form of entertainment(usually), and you have to expect to pay a lot when you visit one.

but you require so many random objects with you at a park, too many to put into cargo shorts that you NEED to bring some kind of back pack, then you pay $2 if you want to ride Goliath and you don't have anyone to leave your bag with while you ride.

I don't see an issue with that. Am I the ONLY one?

--Robb "I seriously do not understand why people NEED to bring a back pack to a park..." Alvey

I think the reason so many people are annoyed by this is because it's an obvious money-making scheme. The park should have said "no comment", but instead chose to say it was to increase capacity. First off, Goliath has no problems with capacity-even on busy days the line is short. Second, the reason the ride is slow loading is because the ride ops are terrible. They could not walk any slower or be any more slack in checking restraints. Capacity my ass, they just want to make money.

And that's what is causing all the uproar.

Looks like its becoming chainwide. Screamscape just posted that Six Flags America is doing the same thing with Superman and Wild One.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

Park News - (7/26/07) A reader tells us that the same new mandatory locker police added to Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia was also added to Wild One and Superman at Six Flags America earlier this season and has been generating pretty much the same negative reaction there from park guests. These lockers also share the same over the top price point of $2 for a 3 hour window, one time use, where if you leave anything in them for more than 3 hours, they will charge you $5 per each additional hour afterwards. Apparently the official word from management to the staff is that it isn’t a money generating concept (yeah, right…) but rather an attempt to improve capacity on the rides, since the blame for slow load times was being placed on riders and not slow ride ops. I guess that riddle has now been answered since apparently the load times have not improved at all. To be fair SFA has been well documented over the years in countless trip reports online for seeming to have some of the slowest ride ops in the world however, most far too busy talking with each other or sending text messages to friends, something I know I certainly witnesses first hand on my one and only visit to the park years ago.

they should make it free, or figure out some way to store peoples possesions in the station better. im all for keeping people personal possesions off the ride. i can not stand those cellphone and picture people who do it without permission, it really makes me feel unsafe. god knows what can happen... but charging people for one time use if not cool.

I was at Splish Splash water park out on LI a few weeks ago and they sold a key to a locker for 10$ when you bought your tix. It was good for all day, unlimited usage of one locker. At the end of the day, when you return your key, you got 4$ back. So it was 6$... i wonder if they can swing somethin like that - have some employee at the entrance to a ride checking for belongings. If they have somehtin on them, they can tell them before actually queueing up.

went to the park today

there were tons of bags just sitting outside the line on the ground

Doug's brother was told he had to drink his drink before getting in line

BS

it was 88 *at noon* and humidity is like ....weather.comming now....60% so it feels like 92 AND YOU CANT HAVE WATER in the bottle?

however, if you dont make eye contact with the nazi of the hour and he's working on someone else, you can still get in line with something that's not all that big. J took his bottle.

btw

its $2 for the first 3 hours, after that its $2/hour!

bs

the thing that gets me is that there were prolly 20 people who had to take their flip flops off and set them into the closet thing. I sat my flip flops in there along with J's bottle (which they said nothing about) and got in my seat. did the train still stack on this 4400' long ride? absolutely was it because of under staffing? no. there were 8, yes 8 workers up there + the locker Nazi.

while waiting, a lady lost an item on the ride. in order for her to fill out the claim, she had to go thru the guy @ the panel instead of the other 7 people working the station - talking. the ride did not stack only one time, the rest had people baking on the brake run.

i did have a good ride on G then left - the guest relation line was long so i didnt go

one other thing

they MAKE you take your loose items onto cyclone including bottles, stuffed things, hats ...everything

DSC06517.thumb.JPG.d226827f0163f766ec07121bff398862.JPG

J taking his bottle onto cyclone b/c they told him to