TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe (MOA) Discussion Thread

Yes, no new theming! They could touch most of the rides in the park, but if they did anything with the log chute, there would be some wrath, except for an aquatrax themed to Yo Gabba Gabba perhaps. If they would, I'd name it "I Like Fish". But that's not important, the Log chute is still Paul Bunyan's!

I'm glad to hear the themeing is still the same on the log flume. I haven't been on that ride in years! I grew up near MOA and back then we would go here almost all the time. My first ever log flume ride and roller coaster ride was at this park and I hope to one day experience them once more.

The last time I was at the park, it still had the Snoopy theme so I can't comment about what all the Nickelodeon theme has done to the place. I hope the place still has the same feel as before.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I should clarify a little bit. I wouldn't expect anything along the lines of a SLC...perhaps a roller skater or a junior suspended like Reptar. Many of us wouldn't consider that a "major" addition like NU would i guess. I also heard something a month or so ago that mgmt was looking into the idea of adding a "ropes course" where Kidsquest was (above Ghost Blasters) which would include a zipline.

Are there any plans to remove rides for this new addition? Where would they put a new roller coaster without removing a ride?

My guess would be that the balloons and train rides would be removed and put the coaster there. A kiddie invert would actually make a great addition to the park.

Are there any plans to remove rides for this new addition? Where would they put a new roller coaster without removing a ride?

I believe they would take out the 4U store on the west side and maybe even the Great Lakes Ballroom. I also still am hearing rumors about Mighty Axe (Tak Attack) eventually leaving.

Mighty Axe is a ride that requires a lot of maintenance and NU is pretty good at keeping it maintained. The problem is that the ride is a piece of pooh! NU has to "tame" it down to enhance the longevity of the ride. It use to run fast and insane, but beat the hell out of itself. It now runs a lot slower and never really completely flips upside down which results in a lame ride experience which results in lower ridership which results in less money. Basically, the ride experience and resulting revenue is not worth the investment to keep it open.

One of the last times it stopped upside down, the fire department had to come in with the Jaws of Life to cut the bolts in the harnesses and ended up denting the Jaws of Life!

Ahh the good ol' days of the mighty axe. I remember those.

Flipping upside down at the start & holding the riders there for a while, seeing cell phones plummet to their death. Waiting at the top, flipping upsidedown once and then going around and flipping upsidedown at the bottom while still rotating. I remember that. Good times good times.

I was just there a month ago and for the first time I actually had to waitt for the Axe, it was kind of weird. And yes I do agree, that the ride runs a very tame cycle compared to its previous one.

Edit: Any news on the new ride, that has been rumored, or is the economy taking its toll here as well?

• 10 months later...

I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I thought I would share with you that Nick Universe is receiving a Unicoaster from Chance Morgan. They are getting the standard prototype and it will be placed in the large area currently occupied by Blue's Skidoo's (Blue's is being moved next to the main support between Tree Swing and where Blue currently is).

I wouldn't expect a press release for this but there is a flier posted with a picture and a youtube link:

I didn't hear anything about an opening date but I'd say it'll definitely be open by summer!

I didn't see this posted anywhere else so I thought I would share with you that Nick Universe is receiving a Unicoaster from Chance Morgan. They are getting the standard prototype and it will be placed in the large area currently occupied by Blue's Skidoo's (Blue's is being moved next to the main support between Tree Swing and where Blue currently is).

I wouldn't expect a press release for this but there is a flier posted with a picture and a youtube link:

I didn't hear anything about an opening date but I'd say it'll definitely be open by summer!

Without any substantiation (news link) on this we are going to have to move this to the Rumor Super Thread. It is quite odd that the park or Chance would not issue a press release that would be picked up by a local news source.

I did not see the flier on the youtube link, at what time does it appear?

Nickelodeon Universe has added the Flying Dutchman Ghostly Gangplank and adventure maze above the amusement park last July, ut it hasn't been discussed here previously. Below is the article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Nickelodeon Universe adds Ropes Course

A high-strung attraction at Nickelodeon Universe offers a choose-your-own adventure in the rafters of the Mall of America.

By STEPHEN REGENOLD

Last update: January 24, 2010 - 4:43 PM

Neon lights blinked in the distance. A set of small hands gripped a rope tight. The boy on the wobbly line above was screaming, "I'm not gonna die!"

It was a Thursday night at the Mall of America. My daughter and I were resting on a platform, gazing up at a white-knuckle drama unfolding atop the megamall's latest attraction.

Touted as the tallest ropes course of its type in the world, the Flying Dutchman Ghostly Gangplank course is a unique mental and physical challenge. For about $6, any adult or child who is at least 42 inches tall can ascend the course's vertigo-inducing heights, including obstacles, tightrope crossings, planks and an apex perch towering six stories above the carnival scene.

"Falls are pretty rare," said Ann Jennings, 21, an attendant who has overseen safety on the Flying Dutchman since its opening last July.

My daughter, Gwen, and I met Jennings about 30 feet up in the air.

It took five minutes -- and several obstacles crossed -- to reach the operator's station. Jennings was roped in and offered tips of the "don't look down" type.

Jennings' job as a roaming ropes-course attendant has her leading kids and timid adults up and down the crisscrossing course. She climbs to the aid of people in trouble.

"There are occasional freakouts," she said.

My daughter, who turns 5 next month, was nervous as we approached the attraction's entrance gate.

"Is this like mountain climbing?" she asked.

In a way, yes. Flying Dutchman climbers suit up in a webbing body harness. An operator at the base of the attraction cinches buckles and affixes an overhead lanyard into a track. As you head up the initial stairway, the safety line above trails along to keep you always "on belay."

You can fall on the Flying Dutchman, to be sure. But the rope will catch you a few inches below, letting you grab and pull back onto the stunt.

Alissa Blaeser, an attendant working at the start of the course, reassured Gwen as she was fitted and buckled up.

ropes2.jpg.09fc0f5e8bbf2ef10626e63ec0a06815.jpg

ropes1.jpg.8d39f4a86d56ed14ae131a59bd58babb.jpg