TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Miles go to Erasure @ The Grove in Anaheim

Robb, "A Little Respect" from 6000 miles away was an AWESOME birthday present, I loved it, thank you guys!! And the quality was really good, I could hear you guys yelling to me, the crowd singing, AND Andy singing!!

I'd totally forgotten what an awesome song "Stop" is, I really need to dig out the Greatest Hits album now!!

You just got instantly 406% cooler for saying that you like Depeche Mode. Another of my old favourites. Depeche Mode, Erasure, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, the Police, Wham, Dexy's, Spandau Ballet, Foreigner... God I love the '80s.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray! Erasure and roller coasters in one happy little interweb community! This is my favorite day on the internet ever.

I'm a little jealous because I was not able to see them on this tour. I've held tickets to see them 3 times but only actually made it to the show once (Cowboy tour, '98). Vince dressed as a giant cactus and played guitar during the first half and during the second half, he drank a giant beer and smoked cigarettes while Andy danced his a$$ off.

Robbie "not gay but I also like the Pet Shop Boys" Crockett

*edited to remove an inadvertent smiley

Silly, you've already got a pink scrunchi or what appears to be a pink scrunchi...

That was the whole joke! We got everyone a scrunchi during the Mini-Europe trip, and of course all the "Panthers" took pink ones. I, of course did too to show my support!

You can see Miles wearing his here:

And I'm wearing mine here:

--Robb "Really this was just a poor excuse to link to those two pictures again!" Alvey

I know you young whipper snappers think that only boy bands are awesome, but you need to go check out some real music.

Actually to tell the truth, the only difference between groups like Erasure and groups of today is that they wrote the songs. Rather than the majority of the singers being given songs or writing lyrics to be given credit for the song to make some money.

I went back and listened to songs I grew up with and to be honest they aren't much different on how they are set up. I think I may have liked them because the industry wasn't relying on image to sell records so you had someone unattractive person screaming their lungs out. (We can blame C&C Music Factory and Milli Vanilli for music's downfall ) I don't like a lot of songs because they really don't have a chorus or bridge... just a loop. A lot of Erasure songs are like that too, thus they weren't one of my favorite groups. Too much keyboards and not enough bass and drums annoyed me. I did buy Depeche Mode's Violator though, even though one of my roommates stole it.

You want to hear real music, you're gonna have to hit the classical and jazz sections of your music store.

Terry "Worked in a music store to put himself through college so he heard everything" Weaver

I saw Depeche Mode at the Ford Amphitheater in Tampa about two years back. Awesome concert! But, not too familiar with Erasure...

Anyway, looks like you had a great time.

Michael *Who is going to be missing Projekt Revolution for the Midwest Trip* Redig

You want to hear real music, you're gonna have to hit the classical and jazz sections of your music store.

I'm a pretty big fan of jazz, and even I think that statement is a little bit extreme. Within each genre there are usually a few acts with undeniable talent or originality that aren't just doing what everyone else is doing.

For rock take an act like Radiohead. Both classical and jazz artists have covered Radiohead. Many critics and fans consider OK Computer to be one of the greatest albums ever.

For electronic music (death to the awful MTV term electronica) take Massive Attack. Again a completely original act that copies nobody, and winds up being copied by other artists countless times.

That being said, I think your point is generally valid if taken to mean that the general standard for music today is lower than it was 50 years ago. That's undeniable. 50 years ago you couldn't pull studio tricks to make bad artists sound great. So, you had to be pretty good. And the jazz artists that were popular in that day were 1,000,000,000,000,000x more talented than the pop artists the industry bombards us with today.

Cool report. I was never a big Erasure fan, but Mary and I love '80's music (yes, I listen to stuff besides scary metal music that would kill most of you). We played a lot of '80's music at our wedding. Duran Duran rocks!

I too LOVE no smoking at concerts! It makes it so much easier to see, and I'm not hacking and coughing after a show. I'm looking forward to the smoking ban going into place here in Baltimore next year.

As far as photography/video goes, it's pretty much up to the bands these days. Mary and I go to shows all the time, and the policy changes at just about every show. Most bands still don't like video, though with cell phones/digital cameras, this is pretty hard to control these days. I personally think that relaxing the rules about photos and video is a good thing, as it is another form of promotion (which given the state of the music industry, a lot of bands need all the promotion they can get). Mary does a lot of band photography (her work is all over the net, and she's done CD/DVD covers for bands), and it's gotten a lot easier in the last five years or so for her to take her camera to shows.

I still wish Oingo Boingo would do a reunion tour...

dt

Great trip report, Robb. I'm glad the place was smoke free for you, because I hate going to a place where smoking is allowed. In addition to the room being hazy, when there's a lot of smoke you can't smell or taste anything, you smell like smoke when you get home, and your throat and eyes hurt the next day. I love smoke free NY!

And just for the record, I know all those late 80s/early 90s bands, and Depeche Mode remains one of my favorite bands to this day.

Wow... sorry to get off subject here, but I didn't realize that Danny Elfman was in Oingo Boingo before his independant work, maybe I'll have to check out some of their older stuff. I think Danny Elfman does more of soundtracks now? But they're all amazing compositions.

Thanks for sharing pics, and your story, Robb. That was definately a different TR.

-Justin

Oh wow, Young Love was the opening act. They are amazing. I have their CD and the song Discotech is amazing. I am going to alot of concerts soon, Warped Tour at St. Louis in August (Red Jumpsuit Apparatus**, Boys Like Girls**, Cute Is What We Aim For), then I'm going to go see The Academy Is... in November. Concerts are so much fun, except when you get ran over by moshers and hardcore dancers.

Growing up, my older sisters listened to things like Erasure and Depeche Mode, so I've always been partial to them. Most of my favorites are still 80's bands, my all-time fav being U2, then DM, Pet Shop Boys... I have to agree that 'Violator' is DM's best, followed closely by 'Playing the Angel'. My favorite Erasure song is probably "Ship of Fools", I heard 'The Innocents' a lot growing up.

Nate "loves DM and Erasure but is not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that"

Yay for being gay at Erasure concerts!

I love them although I'm not too familiar with thier older stuff. I also really dig Young Love too.

I always wondered what the inside of The Grove looked like. Didn't it used to be something else before it became a concert venue?

The Cure is (are) GREAT! That was my college music -- yes, I'm that old.

I was wondering why '& Bouncy Bouncy' was changed. Great to see that the Panthers are sharing the love.

Miles, you crack me UP! I'm glad that you and Robb had fun. Thanks for the update, Robb!

Dave

-- Panther, yet scrunchy-less