TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tornado hits Flamingoland

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow great photos. Yeah the weather has been pretty shocking this year too, same here in Dublin as the rest of the UK I think. Thunder and lightening happening more recently.

I remember a street in Birmingham got hit last year by a Tornado and then this year some house in London got hit too.

Think its just a Funnel cloud which we do get lots of in the UK.

Agreed. Tornados hit over here, they make the news bigtime. Especially if they hit some kind of attraction or tourist destination. Not that Flamingoland is our biggest and most popular park but... Yeah, I'm thinking it's a funnel cloud too.

It IS NOT a funnel cloud.

It was on my local news, and it said it was about 21 miles away in a town called Shipton. The photo clearly says not. Flamingoland is in the middle of knowhere so its not exactly like birmingham where there is lots of people who can record it and tell the news or anything

Funnel Cloud Description:

A funnel cloud is a funnel-shaped cloud of condensed water droplets, associated with a rotating column of air and extending from the base of a cloud (usually a cumulonimbus or towering cumulus cloud) but not reaching the ground or a water surface.

A funnel cloud is usually visible as a cone-shaped or needle like protuberance from the main cloud base. Funnel clouds frequently form in association with supercell thunderstorms.

If a funnel cloud touches the ground it becomes a tornado. Most tornadoes begin as funnel clouds, but many funnel clouds do not make ground contact and so do not become tornadoes.

Also, a tornado does not necessarily need to have an associated condensation funnel—if strong cyclonic winds are occurring at the surface, then the feature is a tornado. Some tornadoes may appear only as a debris swirl, with no obvious funnel cloud extending below the rotating cloud base

Why in the world do they have a skyride running when a funnel cloud is in the background? Usually when there's a funnel cloud it means that a nasty thunderstorm is nearby. Most parks should have weather detection systems to close rides when bad weather is nearby. A skyride is the worst place to be when you see one of those.

Nobody in the world gets more tornadoes than the United States. Australia ranks second.

HUH? That's really odd! I have seen tornadoes in the news perhaps once in the past 2 years. And i vividly read the papers for such activity.

According to a documentary on Tornadoes i saw on NatGeo, the UK has just as many tornadoes as the US, just they are usually much smaller and cause much less damage.

I much prefer America's funnel cakes to our funnel clouds!

Anyway - friends of mine were at Flamingoland today and had a fantastic time so I guess all is well (all coasters running blah blah)

That said - I actually liked the pics of the funnel/tornado wanabee so thanks for posting them.

Thanks for the pictures, its strange but yes tornadoes happen in the UK as well as in the rest of western Europe (my country included), they just barely cause any damage and occur (in Belgium, at least) less frequently. I was surprised when i heard about a tornado hitting The Netherlands some time ago, but apparently it happens.

Here's a map that shows what countries have tornadoes:

Map

For those of you saying it's a funnel cloud, I don't think it was.

Funnel clouds that don't touch the ground don't cause any damage. When it touches down (Even if you can't see it) it will cause damage to the area it's near. We had one here not too long ago that didn't look like it touched the ground, but did cause damage. It was classified as a tornado.

We had a major tornado hit my (ex)house in 1987... A tree was ripped outta the ground and crashed into the front garden, almost hitting either my dads Jag or BMW... Thank God they were company cars... Imagine how annoying that must be?
I'm guessing your from the south, if so that was a hurricane, regardless of what Michael Fish says

I seem to remember one in Birmingham making the news a few years ago.

Ok, some figures pulled from Torro...

The average number of Tornadoes reported each year in the UK is 33, but this varies alot from year to year and is a 30 year average. Many are only reported because they have done actual physical damage. The largest outbreak was in 1981, where 105 tornadoes spawned in a little under 5 and a half hours.

I have seen a few funnels myself, but never a full Tornado.

Though I do hope a Tordano (weather) hits Tornado (coaster at M&Ds) to rid us of that devils torture device.

I much prefer America's funnel cakes to our funnel clouds!

Anyway - friends of mine were at Flamingoland today and had a fantastic time so I guess all is well (all coasters running blah blah)

That said - I actually liked the pics of the funnel/tornado wanabee so thanks for posting them.

Did your friends turn around at the parking lot and go home? That's the only way to enjoy a visit to Flamingoland.

Why in the world do they have a skyride running when a funnel cloud is in the background? Usually when there's a funnel cloud it means that a nasty thunderstorm is nearby. Most parks should have weather detection systems to close rides when bad weather is nearby. A skyride is the worst place to be when you see one of those.

Skyrides are not like roller coasters where they wait for the coaster to let off passengers and then they either put it away or leave it sitting there. Chairlifts constantly have to move to move passengers. Now, it may not have been running but what are they supposed to do? Take off all the cars?