TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

In-line Twist: An Inversion or Not? Opinions requested.

It occurred to me during a conversation about the Superman: Ultimate Flight coasters that they count the in-line twist as an inversion (in addition to the pretzel loop being counted as the first inversion).

By it's very definition, I do not believe that this element should be counted as an inversion.

Consider the following definitions I have pulled from the internet today from three different sources:

www.rcdb.com

"The physical number of inversions on a roller coaster. To be counted as an inversion the element must turn riders a full 180° upside-down."

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com

"A term used to describe any portion of a roller coaster track that turns the rider upside-down."

Merriam-Webster Dictionary online

"To turn inside out or upside down."

As any rider of a Superman: Ultimate Flight coaster knows, the train does not turn upside-down at any point during this inline-twist. It simply turns riders from a flying position to a lying position and back again. This is all done completely horizontal to the ground. The ONLY portion of the ride that turns riders completely 180 degrees upside-down is the fall to the ground during the pretzel loop.

What do you all think? Please let me know.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

By my terms, I wouldn't call it an inversion. I know that technically it is, the train and people are being inverted, just in a different way. I wouldn't call it one though, because to me, and inversion is when your feet are over your head.

-Nick

hmmm pretty interesting. Being that i rode Superman Ultimate Flight twice, I feel that I can input on this...Depending on how where you're looking, you can consider it an inversion. If you look forward while going throught the inline, it seems like you're going upside down. If you're looking downwards, it seems like you're bascially in the lay-down position looking towards the sky (which could be an upside down view if you're looking forward). So to me it all depends on how your head is positioned.

I count it as an inversion as you are flipped 180* from your former position While riders are not upside down(well technically, riders are not upside down at any point on S:UF), riders flip 360 from their former position.

I totally disagree with you. And just so we are all clear on what "upside-down" is, can we all agree that it means when your upper body and lower body are reversed in a vertical position?

And yes, of course, S:UF flips riders upside-down during the pretzel loop! Once you reach the apex (the highest point) of the loop and fall forward/down, you are completely upside-down until you reach the pull-out at the bottom.

Of course its an inversion, you flip over 180* which is the definition of an inversion..

The various definitions of an inversion all have one key phrase in common: UPSIDE-DOWN. Yes, the inline-twist on S:UF flips riders 180 degrees horizontally but a true "inversion" must flip riders vertically upside-down according to the definition.

Thank you for your opinion, but please read the definition before you interpret it.

Of course its an inversion, you flip over 180* which is the definition of an inversion..

The various definitions of an inversion all have one key phrase in common: UPSIDE-DOWN. Yes, the inline-twist on S:UF flips riders 180 degrees horizontally but a true "inversion" must flip riders vertically upside-down according to the definition.

Thank you for your opinion, but please read the definition before you interpret it.

Why must you be vertically upside down? Either way your upside down, which is all that really matters.

I guess it is, because it does flip you over. (though it doesnt have to flip you 180 degrees to be an ivnersion. inclined loops are nversions too).

Though if you translate "inversion" to hebrew(and i assume other languages too) its called(freely translated) "upside-down-er." meaning its not an ivnersion.

So something gets lost in the translation.

Consider this:

If you lie on the ground and roll to your left or right, that is not an inversion; you are not going upside-down. This is basically what S:UF does.

If you stand in one place and turn around, that is not an inversion; you again are not going upside-down.

A somersault, hand stand or cartwheel IS an inversion because your head is going under your feet. A loop (inclined or not), a diving loop, Immelman, cobra roll, zero-g roll, corkscrew, batwing, etc are inversions because you are going upside-down.

Regardless if the track on S:UF inverts on the inline-twist, the way the trains are attached to the track does not cause your body to go upside-down.

Flying coaster inline twists are definatly not inversions. Pretzel loops on B&M flyers and vertical loops on Vekoma flyers are inversions though, because during the element your body is turned upside down. Your body is not turned upside down on flying coaster inline twists, corkscrews, or zero-g rolls.

They are defintly an inversion. Your body rotates 360 degrees, its an inversion. Nuff said. If you roll on the ground, it may not be upsidedown, but its definitely an inversion. The whole upsidedown idea is bullcrap. If you rotate 360 degrees, Its an inversion.

I think it does count as an inversion. As long as it goes upside down (if the ride was a normal sit-down), it counts.

Well then if you count it like that inverted coasters are all one big inversion except for the parts that actually make riders go upside down