TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What are your TOP TEN COASTERS

^Don't underestimate Kumba. Many people here consider it the best coaster in the park, myself included. It was also my top B&M for a decade until Fury 325 finally bumped it. You'll love BGT. Have a great time!

^Don't underestimate Kumba. Many people here consider it the best coaster in the park, myself included.

Guilty. Kumba is complete greatness. Ride in the back row, far seat (next to the exit platform)... seriously, take notes. It's important. Get ready to fly in the zero G roll. Ride Montu in the back row also and make sure to save some room for two big B&M's in your top 10 list. Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt are a slight step down for me but are both amazing coasters. Scorpion rules too.

I'm sure a lot of people have read my opinion on calculated top 10 lists, so I have something only slightly different that I took 30 seconds to come up with. I don't have an analytical top 10, but I have a lot of roller coasters I like more than others. These are coasters that I want to ride again and again in no particular order:

Fury(probably my favorite)

Millennium Force

Maverick

Banshee

Diamondback

Beast

Raging Bull

Afterburn

Limited experience, but fond memories:

Thunderbird

Outlaw Run

Gone, but not forgotten:

Mr. Freeze @ SFSTL (prior to conversion)

Deja Vu @ SFGam

^Don't underestimate Kumba. Many people here consider it the best coaster in the park, myself included.

Guilty. Kumba is complete greatness. Ride in the back row, far seat (next to the exit platform)... seriously, take notes. It's important. Get ready to fly in the zero G roll. Ride Montu in the back row also and make sure to save some room for two big B&M's in your top 10 list. Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt are a slight step down for me but are both amazing coasters. Scorpion rules too.

Notes taken. I'm very excited for this park!

You should be. I love that park to death. It's easily my favorite park in Florida despite the amazing competition. Check out the Cheetah Presentation too...

You should be. I love that park to death. It's easily my favorite park in Florida despite the amazing competition. Check out the Cheetah Presentation too...

The one right by Cheetah Hunt? Loved that, really showed the power and speed of the park's cheetahs. Overall an amazing day and was going to finish it off with a ride of Falcon's Fury after Montu, but decided to hightail it back to Kumba and got an amazing zen ride all by myself in the front seat.

I'm a sucker for launched/Intamin coasters so Cheetah Hunt was obviously my favorite by Kumba blew me away. I rode it backseat earlier on and that zero-g roll in insane! SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are now easily my favorite parks is Florida. Definitely going to save 2 days for the BGT next time though.

The one right by Cheetah Hunt? Loved that, really showed the power and speed of the park's cheetahs. Overall an amazing day and was going to finish it off with a ride of Falcon's Fury after Montu, but decided to hightail it back to Kumba and got an amazing zen ride all by myself in the front seat.

I'm a sucker for launched/Intamin coasters so Cheetah Hunt was obviously my favorite by Kumba blew me away. I rode it backseat earlier on and that zero-g roll in insane! SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are now easily my favorite parks is Florida. Definitely going to save 2 days for the BGT next time though.

Awesome! Glad to hear it.

• 2 months later...

Updated with a new contestant: Taron

1. Helix - Liseberg

2. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park

3. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park

4. Junker - Power Park

5. Flug der Dämonen - Heide Park

6. Taron - Phantasialand

7. Wildfire - Kolmården

8. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura

9. Piraten - Djurs Sommerland

10. Juvelen - Djurs Sommerland

Honors:

Fluch von Novgorod – Hansa Park

Black Mamba (front) – Phantasialand

Lisebergbanan – Liseberg

Silver Star – Europa Park

Tornado - Bakken

1.Number one of course is the Newyork Newyork coaster in Las Vegas! That coaster is epic! I dont get why it gets so much hate...one of the best coasters i ever been on! not gonna lie!!

2.Meanstreak best wooden coaster ever! People dont know a real ride when they see one! People who think its rough at just sissies!!

Lol just kidding! now to the REAL list!!!

1.M-force(now I know this is no longer the king of gigas but i have yet to go on the others so so far this one is my favorite)

2.TTD (this may not be the most popular for top spots but it was my first and only strata coaster so far and my fastest it may be over quickly but sure has a great adrenaline rush!)

3.Ride of Steel at Darien Lake (I havent been there since 2005 but hypers are my favorite type of coaster and i remember enjoying it a lot.I was stuck on if i wanted to put this up so high because of all the flat areas but the drops were a lot of fun especially the biggest one and i remember still having a lot of fun none the less )

4.Goliath at Six Flags Great America (Again i know this is the king of RMCs but its sadly the ONLY RMC i been on! im sure if I been others my opinion would change however from just riding Goliath i know RMCs are AWESOME!)

4.Mavrick (This is a tie with Goliath. Its a smaller coaster but really packs a punch and is intense! Also love the steep drop.)

5.Magnum(My second favorite hyper it may be rough but has a lot of intense air time)

6. sheikra/valvran(also a tie they may not be the best of coasters but i still think dive coasters are awesome that hang and intense drop is a lot of fun)

7.Voyage(I havent been to Holiday World since 2007 but i really remember really enjoy this coaster)

8.Hades(I know this isnt a popular vote because of its roughness but i enjoyed it alot when i went to Mt Olympus in 2009)

9.Raging Bull(my third favorite hyper and is at my home park)

10.Vortex at Kings Island (I know this isnt a popular coaster but i think its cool because it had both the tall steep drop and inversions also yet again i have been to Kings Island since 2004 but id like to go again and try out the epic looking Diamondback as well as Banshee)

As you have probably learned from this list I didnt get to travel to as many parks as most here either because I didnt really have the money or/and also the fact i dont drive but i still want to go to more parks and experience more and im sure my list will change in the future.

I did some thinking and now I can decide for a top ten.

Intimidator 305

Kumba

Fury 325

Dragon Challenge Ice

Dragon Challenge Fire

Intimidator

Apollo’s Chariot

Alpengeist

Dominator

Hollywood Rip Ride Rock-It

Hollywood Rip Ride Rock-it was running great. It's really snuck into the top ten. However, with me riding Incredible Hulk later on today, I don't know how long that is going to last...

Edited by theintimidator

This was due on an update from August 2015. Blue are new entries red ones are kick outs from back then. One wish back then was to go to more countries then Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium and it worked out sort of got to see Sweden.

Steel:

1. Schwur des Kranan (Hansa park)

2. Expedition GeForce (Holiday park)

3. Taron (Phantasialand)

4. Blue Fire (Europa park)

5. Helix (Liseberg)

6. Black Mamba (Phantasialand)

7. Silver Star (Europa park)

8. Baron 1898 (Efteling)

9. Sky Scream (Holiday park)

10. Flug der Dämonen (Heide park)

13. Krake (Heide park)

15. Goliath (Walibi Holland)

17. Rock 'n Roller Coaster (Walt Disney Studio's Paris)

Wood:

1. Wildfire (Kolmarden)

2. Colossos (Heide park)

3. Balder (Liseberg)

4. Wodan Timbur coaster (Europa park)

5. Troy (Toverland)

6. Joris en de Draak (Efteling)

7. Mammut (Tripsdirll)

8. Loup-Garou (Walibi Belgium)

9. The Bandit (Movie Park Germany)

10. Robin Hood (Walibi Holland)

Wood is finally a top 10.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I've ever actually posted this, so here.

1. Kumba - Good God, I love this ride more than anything. It's intense, fast, has the best zero-g roll on any ride ever, and that final helix is on-par with Goliath/Titan's. A true classic.

2. i305 - "Intense" is an understatement for this ride. Try "face-melting" and "inhuman". Seriously. If you haven't been on it, get yo a$$ to King's Dominion right now.

3. Cheetah Hunt - True, it's not exactly the best ride ever, but this was my first launch coaster. It holds a really special place in my heart, plus that airtime hill after the third launch has some of the best ejector air ever.

4. Mako - The best ride in Orlando, no question. The airtime this thing delivers is crazy for a B&M.

5. Alpengeist - This is a really unpopular opinion, but according to me, this thing eats Montu for breakfast, craps it out, then eats it again. Awesome from start to finish.

6. Iron Rattler - RMC at it's best. 'Nuff said.

7. Millennium Force - Is it forceful? Not all that much. Is it intense? Compared to other Intamins, no. Is it really fun for no reason? Heck yes.

8. Incredible Hulk - Launch. Zero-g roll. Cobra roll. Loop. Dive underwater. What can I say? It's iconic.

9. Loch Ness Monster - I'm a sucker for old Arrows. Plus, it's location is wonderful; one time I was on it right before the park closed, and I saw a herd of deer near the curve before the drop into the second loop

10. White Lightning - The only real reason to go to Fun Spot is a good one; this thing completely HAULS for it's size.

Edited by TheCoasterKid211

1. Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

2. Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure)

3. Maverick (Cedar Point)

4. Raptor (Cedar Point)

5. Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point)

6. Valravn (Cedar Point)

7. GateKeeper (Cedar Point)

8. Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)

9. Rougarou (Cedar Point)

10. Shivering Timbers (Michigan’s Adventure)

My coaster count isn't impressive at all (only 49, and that's counting Gemini, Space Mountain, and Dragon Challenge as two credits apiece)

• 2 months later...

1. El Toro- No doubt the best coaster I've ridden. Ridiculous airtime, the RT hill is the greatest thing ever and the twister finale is phenomenal. And it has the best drop I've ever experienced.

2. Superman (SFNE)- Just barely the best steel I've ever ridden. It's neighbor from across the park is giving it a run for its money. Awesome airtime, awesome tunnels, the spaghetti bowl is brilliant. May have the best layout of any coaster ever but..... the trains really really suck. Everything from the restraints, to the headrests, to the rattle. If it still had its old trains it'd be #1

3. Wicked Cyclone- This very well could be my #1 steel. The pacing is relentless the airtime is amazing and the inversions are awesome and it's soooo smooth.

4. Fury 325- I found this really overrated but still great. It had a nice drop, the speed was amazing and the treble clef was awesome and the air was nice too but it was just missing that all out intensity of the top 3. Dare I say some spots even felt force less

5. Nitro- I thought this ride sucked when I first rode it but some front seat rides changed that. The floater air is so nice and relaxing and the helix is so intense and the bunny hop run back to the station is amazing.

6. Afterburn- This ride surprised me so much. It's so insanely intense in the back seat. I thought the batwing was going to rip my arms outta my sockets. Seriously underrated coaster

7. Intimidator- All this ride really has going great for it is the floater air. I wish it wasn't so trimmed and because it's so trimmed it's basically force less. And the pacing really sucks

8. Comet (Great Escape)- It's been almost 5 years since I've ridden it but I remember it having some nice airtime and being pretty smooth. It got some spots retracked this year so I'd like to get back to Lake George to ride it.

9. Kingda Ka- I don't care what anyone says. This ride is absolutely mind blowing in the front row. The launch is so insanely powerful it just pins you to the seat peels your eyelids back and tries to rip your face off. Such an unbelievable experience.

10. Batman the Ride (GADv)- I only rode it when it was backwards and I really want to try it again with it forwards because Great Adventure regulars say it is completely amazing.

1) Twisted Colossus - For now, this is the only RMC I've ridden, but it's - hands down - my favorite ride at SFMM. It has inversions, lots of ejector airtime, and if you're lucky enough to race another train, it'll add another element to the ride experience. This ride also has great operations; if you're there on a crowded day, go to TC and you'll be on in about an hour or less.

2) X2 - one of those rides that you either love or hate. IMO, it's an excellent ride. 7th row is the place to sit. The drop is intense and you'll get plenty of ejector airtime on the turns and flips if you sit in the 7th row. The reason it's not my favorite ride is the roughness. If you sit on the right side (the side closest to Viper as you get on), the last flip at the end will deliver some headbanging. I have no idea why. Somehow, I always end up on that side. The other side is relatively smooth, though.

3) XCelerator - the very first Intamin Accelerator. This ride has a fantastic launch, and the overbanked turns are fun, too. The downside is you spend more time waiting for the next train to dispatch than you do actually riding.

4) Tatsu - So far, this is the only flyer I've ridden, but I love it. The lift hill is terrifying, and the rest of the ride is a lot of fun. The intensity on the loop is akin to X2's first drop. It'll shove your head against the seat for the duration of the loop. The downside to this ride is that its operations aren't the best. Depending on whether they're running both stations, you may get stuck lying on your stomach while waiting for the next train to dispatch.

5) Full Throttle - a short, yet fun launched coaster. It feels like you're in the loop forever. It pauses at the top of the loop, giving you a few seconds of hang time. The two launches out of the tunnel are cool, and the top hat over the loop gives some floater airtime before you hit the brakes at the bottom. Downside is the same as XCelerator - it's a short ride, and you spend a lot of time waiting for the next train to dispatch.

6) Viper - a classic Arrow mega-looper. I don't care what anyone says, this is an amazing ride. The drop is thrilling if you're in the back, as you can't see the track in front of you as you get flung over the top of the lift hill. The three back-to-back loops will leave you dizzy, but the MCBR gives you time to re-coordinate yourself. The last half of the ride is slower than I'd prefer, but the upside is you get plenty of hang time in the inversions. If you're tall like me, the roughness won't bother you.

7) Batman - definitely the hidden gem of SFMM. It's way in the back of the park, so people tend to forget about it. It's the oldest B&M in the park, but somehow still the smoothest and definitely the most intense. It's not much different from SF's other Batman clones, other than the color scheme.

8) Matterhorn Bobsleds - another classic Arrow, and it's known as the coaster that laid the foundations for coaster track as we know it today. It's rough and jerky, but given its age, that's not surprising. The special effects were updated about 2 years ago, and the dueling tracks make this a must-ride at Disneyland.

9) Apocalypse - currently SFMM's only true woodie, and a very intense woodie at that. Its tight turns and hills deliver plenty of ejector airtime. It hasn't aged well in the California sun, but after its recent retrack, it's another hidden gem, for the same reasons as Batman.

10) Ghost Rider - Knott's woodie. This coaster also suffered from the CA heat, but its 2015 retrack seems to have smoothed it out. It's chock full of airtime hills, which give a decent amount of floater airtime. I still prefer Apocalypse, though.

1) Millennium Force

5) Fury 325

6) Lightning Rod

You always have the best sarcastic posts!

EDIT: I know you're serious with that list, but I think putting those two coasters over Lightning Rod is hilarious I get that opinions are opinions, it's cool to have them and everything. Lightning Rod is just objectively better then them in every measurable way. I also wouldn't consider your 7-10 in my top 25, but people look for different things in coasters I guess? I just know you've been on Skyrush and I305, so it's blasphemous to see any of those looping B&Ms ahead of those two. *IMO*

Edited by chickenbowl

1. Helix - Liseberg. The layout, the music, the lights...

2. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park. Dat first drop, plus endless airtime throughout the rest of the layout as well.

3. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park. Beyond awesome theming and great speed in layout.

4. iSpeed - Mirabilandia. Intensity.

5. Junker - PowerPark

6. Flug Der Dämonen - Heide Park

7. Taron - Phantasialand

8. Wildfire - Kolmården

9. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura

10. Piraten - Djurs Sommerland

Now that I think of it, nine of these I've ridden between 2014 and 2017. Travelling sure has its advantages!

• 1. Fury 325
    2. Mako
    3. Kraken
    4. Montu
    5. Afterburn
    6. Cheetah Hunt
    7. Thunderhead
    8. Manta (SWO)
    9. Volcano
    10. Alpengeist

This list will likely get updated next year when I make my first visits to Cedar Point & Kings Island.

After a recent trip to Great Adventure my top ten steel list has changed a bit:

1.) Top Thrill Dragster

2.) Maverick

3.) Millennium Force

4.) Nitro

5.) Griffon

6.) Diamondback

7.) Verbolten

8.) Firehawk

9.) Wildfire (SDC)

10.) Expedition Everest