TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride operator killed in path of swinging pendulum ride

Another accident from www.rideaccidents.com

At Powerland Park in Ala-Härmä, Finland, a 24-year-old ride operator walked into the path of a giant swinging pendulum ride and was struck by the ride's spinning gondola. She was killed instantly.

Park officials say that the woman was attempting to retrieve shoes that a passenger had left on the platform.

One rider suffered minor injuries in the accident.

------------------------------------------------------------

Why do people do it when they know the ride swings fast and there is no way they can cross the concrete before the swing heads earthwards again

powerlandtyphoon.jpg.d5a581ef95e83b5bef4edee58cd69e3e.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE HELL????? It swings, it's fast and it'll more than likely hurt when it starts, so why do it at full swing????

I'm not sorry for the person who got killed, I'm sorry for the people who she landed on and who had to watch her die... It's disgraceful!

A prime candidate for a Darwin Award.

Just what I was thinking.

While it is sad, how stupid can you be?! Seriously, what made the person think it was a good idea to cross the station while the ride was in motion? This is something I'd expect in America , and hearing an accident with this much stupidity in another country(let alone Finland) is kind of strange.

When I was there last thursday, it was only one ride-op running the ride. But I feel pretty sure that they have an automatic ride cycle so that all the ride-op has to do is to press the start button.

A prime candidate for a Darwin Award.

Just what I was thinking.

While it is sad, how stupid can you be?! Seriously, what made the person think it was a good idea to cross the station while the ride was in motion? This is something I'd expect in America , and hearing an accident with this much stupidity in another country(let alone Finland) is kind of strange.

thirded.

I hope they were humming the Indiana Jones theme whilst trying to retrieve the shoe

This is sad.

Although it seems elementary to the people here, I wonder how well the dangers of rides are illustrated in the training of operators. Maybe they should go old school driver's ed style, and show lots of gruesome pictures of what happens when people jump in front of moving rides. Showing the grim reality of these accidents is always going to be more convincing than just being told "fatal accidents may occur".

Most ride operators are younger, and don't have the best concept of death just yet. Recent neuroscience research indicates that the part of the brain that evaluates risk assessment isn't fully formed until about age 25.