TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Old KI Pics

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that brings back a lot of memories. I've been going to KI since I was really little. ^^We always called them the big and little water logs, lol. I miss that ride, it was fun. So many others that I miss too, Smurf's Enchanted Adventure, The Witch's Cauldron, The Flying Dutchmen and the Hanna Barbera Carousel. Everyone would always race to Scooby Doo first. A bunch of those rides I've never even seen though. They're neat. I remember the big elephant fountain too. And they used to have this cool covered walkway in Hanna Barbera Land, it was covered in vines and everyone would always go in there because it stayed cool. I always loved the Hanna Barbera theming and being able to have access to a wealth of Hanna Barbera merchandise. I still remember the last piece of Hanna Barbera merchandise I bought from KI, it was a stuffed Captain Caveman back in 1995. I know Scooby is still around but it's just not the same.

I wonder whatever became of all those rides that have now disappeared and all the Hanna Barbera and Smurfs stuff they used to have? And is it just me or did the original Enchanted Voyage with the big clown face seem a bit creepy?

Wow...talk about bringing back some memories! I have a box full of pictures from a trip there in the summer of 1979 before my sister was born! And probably another box full from our Geauga Lake-Sea World-Kings Island trip from a few years later with my grandparents. When your 80-year old grandpa is taking you on all the rides, you know you've got it good!

Did anyone ever ride The Bat? Those are the best pictures I have seen of it. I remeber seeing the coaster before it was torn down, but it was well after it closed. I have never heard what the ride experience was like. I would love to hear from those who were lucky enough to ride it.[/i]

Did anyone ever ride The Bat?

Yes, many times. You really have to remember that this was a groundbreaking concept and, honestly, ahead of it's time technically. By the time they were tearing it down, other parks (BGE "Big Bad Wolf", CP "Iron Dragon") were being built and they worked fine in comparison and are still running today. By the time KI/PKI built Top Gun it was like "You are kidding me? They are rebuilding "The Bat".

Thanks for this post. It was a great trip down memory lane. Some of those pictures almost made me cry.

Shari

• 3 months later...

Awesome post! Taught me quite a bit about the park. Some great Demon, Kobra, Best, Vortex, and Bat pics.

Man, I lived outside Dayton from 83-86 and remember going a couple times. Can't believe how much it's changed. We rode the Lion Country Safari because you could sit down and the air conditioning was just freezing. We had to wait a while for a lion or some other animal to clear off the tracks.

Most cool.

Wow..pics of the 1974 brochure really brought me back to my childhood..or at least what I can remember of it. When I was a kid, I used to collect brochures, and at one point, I had a lot of the major theme park brochures from that time period up until 1984 or so. Think I'm going to poke around this mess we call a house and see if I can find my older ones then figure out how to post them online.

Thanks for the trip to the past!

Great Pics that really take me back. KI was my 1st real theme park ever. My parents took me and my sister there in '78, so the big deal was "The Screamin' Demon" shuttle coaster and Kenton Keel's boat ride, most of the attractions (except the Racer) were just small time in comparison, but I remember having a blast.

We went back a couple years later and "The Bat" was operational, but not that particular day. I was terribly disappointed about that, but made up for it on mulitiple rides of "The Beast" (which was still being built the first time I went).

Is it just me, or was "The Vortex" like smooth as glass the first couple years? I tend to hit KI about every 3 years and it doesn't seem like it's aging real well.

Wow, KI really lived up to the name back then. It just looked like such a great park! A small animal kingdom, monorail, world class coasters, the awesome log flumes, and the perfect centerpiece. It was one of the top parks out there! Oh how the park has fallen...