TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wild Rivers last year

Sorry for no link, but on the front page of the newspaper announced that 2007 will be Wild Rivers water parks last year. You can see photo's of the park here: www.themeparkreview.com/wildrivers/wr1.htm . This is my home park being just 5 min away. I'm very sad to be able too see the park close .

--Jay

EDIT:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1756146.php

Wild Rivers Waterpark's 22-year run will come to its end after this season.

The water park's lease with landlord The Irvine Co. expires this fall and will not be renewed, despite Wild Rivers' request for an extension.

"The time has come for us to take the next step and to provide future housing to meet the needs of the community," Irvine Co. spokesman Bill Rams said. "Because of this, we were not able to accommodate their request."

In 2006 the city changed the zoning of the land to allow residential development. The Irvine Co. plans to build about 3,700 houses and condos on the parcel of land, which includes Wild Rivers and Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, according to an Irvine World News report from last year. The amphitheatre's lease ends in 2017.

The Irvine Co. plans to honor the amphitheatre's contract until it ends, Rams said.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this fate has been looming over the park for years. It just greatly saddens me that it is actually happening. This is a great park, and for those who won't be able to make it down to it, are greatly missing something. River Rapids is an old school chute ride and is really fun, but the star attraction is Bombay Blasters. I'm really going to miss this park.

R.I.P. Wild Rivers 1986-2007

---Brent

It looks like an awesome place, why does it have to close?

It's lease has ran out with the Irvine Company, and they won't let Wild Rivers renew it. I think we already have enough homes. Well, at least in the article it said the management is trying to find a new place for a new waterpark.

---Brent

^Wow, I've heard that story a few too many times this year. At least they're using the land for homes and not a parking lot in this case.

However, doesn't a good water park increase land values? You'd think keeping the water park would be of better benefit to local investors/developers.

Confirmation that this is not a rumor.

Take your pick.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_6328249

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/article_1756146.php <---This one has the most info plus comments.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-wildriverclosure,0,3640209.story?coll=ktla-news-2

EDIT: Cool Knottslover77 I noticed you added your own link on the first post!

This really piss me off. Most of my childhood summer memories are of Wild Rivers. I loved that place. Haven't been there in ages and I guess now is a better time than never (literally) to visit (one last time). If this news is true ... what a disappointment. Wild Rivers is one of the better water parks I have been to. I love the unique slides that the hilly terrain allows.

I just don't see why Irvine would want to build more homes in that area. Do we really need more homes? Irvine has already exceeded the number of homes that the original city plan allowed for. There is so much open land in the city that they can build homes on. Why do they need to tear down attractions that give the community something to do? Plus, isn't the housing market in a slump right now anyways?

Furthermore, who would want to live next to the Verizon Wirless Amphitheater? Hell, I live in Mission Viejo and I can even sometimes hear the concerts. Can't imagine what it would be like living next door to that.

I mean, come on ...This is just freaking crazy beyond all belief.

AND there is NOTHING (affordable) to do in South OC, or OC in general. What, we got Boomers? Yeah ... thats fun ... Lets close down entertainment/amusement facilities and build more homes. And then since there is nothing to do in OC, people will have to pack onto the freeways and sit through traffic on the drive up to LA or down to SD where there are things to do. We can also kiss the last traces of Lion Country goodbye.

"The time has come for us to take the next step and to provide future housing to meet the needs of the community,"

Ok, lets analyze this statement. Meet the needs of the community? Well wouldn't the community be the people that are already living in the city or area? If so, then why would people already situated in a home give a rats a** about new homes? One would think they would be more concerned about things to do in the community they currently live in. When was the last time people protested because there were not enough homes in the area? Please... This is how the quote should have looked:

"The time has come for us to take the next step and to provide future housing to meet the needs of our greedy, money-loving pockets,"

"The time has come for us to take the next step and to provide future housing to meet the needs of our greedy, money-loving pockets,"

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!!!

Wild Rivers is one of the better water parks I have been to. I love the unique slides that the hilly terrain allows.

The hill was all man made btw.

After going to Wild Rivers, Why do they have to close Wild Rivers for housing? The entire area around Wild Rivers is nothing but sand! What the hell!

Kevin"Irvine sucks big time"Bujold

Furthermore, who would want to live next to the Verizon Wirless Amphitheater? Hell, I live in Mission Viejo and I can even sometimes hear the concerts. Can't imagine what it would be like living next door to that.

It sounds like that's going too.

That sucks.

I remember that place from when I was just a little spec. Like 84-87 or so. Seemed like a very cool, and fun water park from what I can remember even at such a young age.

Funny I remember it being this huge water park. But then again I was probably around 3-4’ tall. Doh!

• 1 month later...

That doesn't clear the Irvine Co.'s name at all. In fact, it just worsens it.

Also, why do these snobs build 3500 houses just to ruin the childhoods of all the campers?

That's the intention I'm getting from this.

And what about the people that move in?

"Yeah! Let's move to Irvine to get closer to the water park!"

And when they get there:

"Our house is where it used to be..."

Sometimes I swear these money-loving snobs had bad childhoods...

• 10 months later...

So I went on a nostalgia trip one last time to Wild Rivers a couple weeks ago, and I have to say I had a lot of fun. I also have to say that I'm glad my friend and I brought his little sisters because we would have totally looked weird there without them. EVERYBODY was either 9 or the 9 year olds parent.

Not much has changed since I went when I was a little kid, which is kinda nice, and I will definitely miss this place. I agree with a post a few back, I really dont understand the purpose of razing the land...there are TONS of bare hills all around it!

OK So a few observations that I would love some commentary back about:

1) I Got a MEAN ball-smack from the bombay blasters. Cross your legs, or else, ouch!!! Nonetheless, this now, and back when I was 10, is the most re-rideable thing ever.

2) The Bazooka Bowls. Is this unique to Wild Rivers, or was this not THE most painful waterslide I have ever been on? Something compelled me to go a second time, and man, I was curling up in a little ball to avoid the excruciating pain on my back. Were they just not putting enough water on it or something?

3) The rapids ride is the most insane thing ever. It basically forces you backwards and we FLEW down that slide having no idea where we were going. Pure fun and TERROR all in one:)

4) The Edge. What the heck happened there? Doesnt look like it operated in years.

Would love to hear some more feedback and comments about this weird, truly UN-LA park that we are about to lose.

Chris.

^I doubt Wild Rivers is going anywhere for awhile. For one, Irvine Meadows still has a lease to use the place as a concert venue for another 20 years. Who is going to want to buy houses/condos next to that? For another thing, it's not exactly the best time to building new developments. So I'm guessing there will be a lot of one year leases in Wild Rivers future before it's really gone.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the grave, but has anybody heard anything about this? With the interesting state of the economy right now, I doubt they WANT to build any more houses in Orange County, but would they even want to open the park? I can see neither projects going forward, at least this year.

Chris.