TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Has a waterslide ever scared you?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah. Before they took out the speed slides for racing ones at Kings Island, I was scared out of my mind with the tallest one. My dad made me go all the way up there. I believe they were about 8-10 stories up. I was only 7 or 8 at the time. Had the biggest weggie ever after that ride lol.

About 2 weeks ago when I went to KI, I went on these enclosed slides that were also racing slides. There was 3 of them. The 2 side slides were exactly the same, while the middle slide from what it looked like, went straight down lol. I went full force and pushed my self out into it. I didn't touch the bottom of the slide until the very bottom. When I did, my head nailed the bottom of the slide. I can not tell you how much pain I was in for about 10 minutes. I didn't say anything, since it was kind of my fault anyway.

Lesson learned. Never get a head start on the middle slide.

Venom Drop at Hurrican Harbor (SFMM). That thing is rediculous. The drop off is pretty shear, so you don't see the middle section for a tiny bit. And the sides aren't very high, so you get some airtime and feel like you're gonna fly off the slide.

I was pumped full of adrenaline when I did it, and literally jumped on it before my nerves could calm down

Body slides in general don't go over well with me. Even ones that are very small tend to be painful going over the joints in the pieces on my back. I'm 5'10" around 260lbs though, I don't know if being a fatty makes it worse for me. Maybe.

Then the really big ones, forget it. Way more painful than the roughest wooden coaster I can think of.

I can recall doing a vertical drop ride at a waterpark in Devon a few years back. The drop was so intense I had a noise bleed, cracked my elbow on the way down - we had a river of blood all over the place. You should have seen how quick the queue for the drop ride suddenly went from loads to nothing.

Haven't felt too compelled to repeat the process - can't recall having a coaster ride having the same effect even after riding for far too many years.

Was that at Tower Park in Poole, Dorset???

I remember the park called Splashdown that has some pretty awesome slides, one of which is completely black with a short drop, but is almost vertical with a tight right turn at the bottom, great fun!!

The only slide I have wimped out on was Summit Plummit at Blizzard Beach, got to the top and decided it was A) Too tall, and B) Waaaaayyy too steep!!!! Not a chance in hell!

There aren't any waterslides that have scared me so far, but I won't go on vertical towers (or whatever they're called) after my first (and only) experience on one.

Drop Out, Raging Waters San Dimas. While going down, instead of laying down with your arms crosssed like you're supposed to, my first instinct was to sit up, like on a roller coaster. Then you get to the bottom, and my head got flung back and hit the slide...hard.

It was my fault, but I'm not taking that chance again...

I like the really tall, strait down body slide at GADV's Hurricane Harbor, but there are two other twisty ones next two it which might have been the worst ride experience of my life. Not only are they steep, but they take you in two circles before you hit the bottom, and to make it worse they feel like their less than two feet in diameter. The actual ride felt like someone was beating me up and holding my head underwater. I was so relived when it ended. I’ve never ridden either of those again.

The only way I have been scared to ride one is fear that it will collapse. At Magic Waters in Rockford, IL last year, there were several slides that had duct tape all over. Perhaps this was all that was needed for whatever reason they needed it for, but it sort of gets you thinking...

Speed slides (the near-vertical ones) scare the living shit out of me. I don't do well with free-fall experiences (which is why I don't ride drop rides, skycoasters, etc.), and the fact that these have nothing to keep you from falling off the slide but your own momentum really messes with my mind. The only time I rode one, my heart rate was about 1,000x faster than normal for the next 2 hours. not a pleasant experience.

I've never actually chickened out of a water slide, but I am always anxious before riding any open vertical speed slide.

The ones that make me feel somewhat uneasy prior to riding are...

Summit Plummet

Cannonball Falls- Green (SFNE)

Stealth (when I ride backwards) at Aquaboggan

The dark body slides on Black Snake Mountain at SFMM's Hurricane Harbor (I think they're called like "Coiling Cobra" and "Twisted Fangs" or something like that). They're 75 feet high, and they look like your typical dark slides. But I honestly didn't think they would be as fast as they were. You lie on your back and since the slides are totally black you can't see where you're going - all you can sense is yourself picking up speed until you're going so fast the water is splashing backwards onto your face!

I was a bit freaked out my first time on since I had never been on that style of slide before (Schlitterbahn is my home waterpark). Makes the dark tube slides on that complex look like kiddie rides!