TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Has a waterslide ever scared you?

The Tornado at SFA scared me really bad at one point. I remember traveling a little bit through the tubes before dropping into the funnel, and completely forgot about the funnel. I was backwards, so when we fell into the fun, it was overwhelming .

The Bahama Blast at SFA also scared me the first time becuase we were in pitch dark, and you see nothing, all you hear is running water :a

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomb's Away, Raging Waters, San Jose...probably the freakiest moments I've ever had on a water slide! While I remained silent throughout the entire slide, the initial drop left my stomach still up on the platform up top! Bomb's Away is Pro Slide's take on the Aqua Loop with the whole drop capsule thing (which reminds me of stepping into a coffin). You are leaning on this almost vertical wall, what feels like leaning against the walls in a shower stall as you cross your legs. Inside you can hear the ride op count down before the floor drops...and next thing you know you are falling...doesn't feel like you're sliding down until you hit the curve.

Walking up to the top platform is even moreso nerve-wracking. All you hear is "Kerchunk! *scream* every 15 seconds.

I used to be afraid of plummet slides. Even further back, I was scared of enclosed slides where you rode single (both innertube and body slides). Now, however, I go on everything and have yet to find another slide that actually scares me (that may change once I find one of those trapdoor slides, however).

Walking up to the top platform is even moreso nerve-wracking. All you hear is "Kerchunk! *scream* every 15 seconds.

As much of a water slide enthusiast as I am, this would send me into shivers waiting in line! I got over my fear of plummet slides and am awaiting the day I can get over enclosed speed slides. My last step seems to be trying one of those trap-door slides as well! Every other slide I have absolutely no problem getting on whatsoever. It's just the tunneled body slides.

• 9 months later...

Honestly, waterslides are much scarier to me than any other rides. Most of them are fine, but some of the more intense ones can make me nervous just because there's less of a sense of security than on other rides. That's actually why I like waterslides though because they can still give me the adrenaline rush of being a bit scared on a ride.

Having tried my first (tiny) aqualoop on the Norwegian Breakaway this summer, I can gladly update that most slides don't really scare me anymore, unless they look extremely sketchy (old, water leaking through seams, people complaining about it, etc). Having valleyed once on the aqualoop, one thing that would probably get me panicky would be that happening and the escape hatch door being shut and unable to open. Luckily, they left it wide open and you just climbed out.

A waterslide has never scared me. I kind of wish they could make the slides more intense at times. And as crazy as it was I would have loved to go down the slipndie travis pastrana and crew did for nitro circus.

When I was 7 years old in 1985, I rode Geronimo at Water Country in Portsmouth, NH. It remains the only time I've ever genuinely screamed out of fear on a ride. I rode it many more times over the years, but that first time scared the daylights out of me.

Back when when I was like ten, I was at water works at kings island, and I told my dad I was just going to ride the hump slide right there by the entrance, you know the one on the same tower at the 70ft tall body slide (its not there anymore, now its the mat slides). Well I got up to the humpslide level and I was like, "you know what im going to surprise my dad and go down the tall slide" So I made my way up to the top of the tower and I remember being very very nervous!!! lol but I did it and my dad was like what the heck when I got to the bottom xD

I can't recall ever being afraid of anything in a water park, but I remember many years ago I rode a slide (don't even remember much about it, or even where it was located, but I'm going to hedge a guess that it was at SFA, because I have been to so few water parks, maybe 4 or 5, in my lifetime) that caused me to have a serious "wardrobe malfunction" which was precipitated by the worst wedgie I ever had. That was quite embarrassing, and, needless to say, I had no desire to ride that particular slide again. Part of it had to do with the way the bottom part of my bathing suit was constructed, but then again, I was a lot younger in those days.

I've ridden similar slides since then, and thankfully haven't had any trouble like that. But I have ridden some where I've had some other unpleasant things happen - like having a blast of chlorinated water shoot up my nose when I would land in the pool at the end. But now I just take a deep breath and hold my nose at the last moment.

As for being afraid, I'd imagine some of the steepest slides out there would give me concern, not because of the steepness, but because I would fear I might be flung off of the side of it. I remember once I rode a black enclosed slide, and it was a little iffy simply because I couldn't see where I was going until the very end.

The two scariest waterslides I've ever ridden were Der Stuka at Wet 'n' Wild in Orlando and the Peppermint Twist at Water Country USA. My friends named the latter the "Atomic Wedgie." Your butt hardly makes contact with the slide on the former.