TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goodbye Wand & Arm

If only they'd get rid of those pillars of faces in front of Spaceship Earth, that would be even better. And then change Journey back to the old old version and we'd have a fantastic gift for the 25th Anniversary of the park!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as Starship plays at the pavillion this October I will be fine if the sign stays or goes.

But!

No Starship! Then rip the F***er out! Cause the only thing worse than no Starship is, no Starship and a big fat Micky hand holding a wand.

But!

If Starship's back then all is right with the world.

Finally! This is about 6 years overdue in my opinion. I thought it was a nice little addition for the Millennium celebration, but once that was over, it's appeal disappeared immediately! I always hated how it looked so faded...like Disney couldn't afford some weather beater paint!

Can't wait to take wandless pictures on my next trip! Woohoo!

-Julie

Now if they'd just take that damn Mickey hat down at MGM..............

I'd have to agree and say I thought it was the tackiest park centerpiece between all the parks. You can really tell Disney put no thought whatsoever on the thing when it came around to building it. I definitely think they could have done a lot better.

I'd have to agree and say I thought it was the tackiest park centerpiece between all the parks. You can really tell Disney put no thought whatsoever on the thing when it came around to building it. I definitely think they could have done a lot better.

The hat originally went up for the 100 Years of Celebration. Strong rumors in the GMR cast have it that it has to stay up because the owners of the Gauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and Disney are having disagreements about copyright infringement. The hat allows pictures of Disney-MGM Studios to be published without Mann's Theatre being visible.

The hat originally went up for the 100 Years of Celebration. Strong rumors in the GMR cast have it that it has to stay up because the owners of the Gauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and Disney are having disagreements about copyright infringement. The hat allows pictures of Disney-MGM Studios to be published without Mann's Theatre being visible.

I still think they could have done a lot better...lol

Since the Earful Tower is not even a real water tower, I don't see why they don't move it into the actual park itself so that IT can become the logo trademark again. The hat wouldn't be so bad it was over in the Animator's Courtyard, but the current location is just tacky.

As for the Chinese Theatre facade, if it is such a problem, they could just switch over to the El Capitan Theatre as they DO own that

In some ways I'm pleased it's coming down but in others I'm not. The trouble is that having now visited lots of parks around the World I've discovered that the Spaceship Earth structure is far from unique. In fact there are quite a few of them dotted around the place. At least the wand and arm made it unique and different from the rest.

However I did look completely out of place and not in keeping with the look and feel of Epcot, so I guess it's a good thing to see it coming down.

SSE was the first geosphere - may still be the only "real" geosphere for all I know.

I am extremely happy the wand is coming down. If anyone listens to Inside the Magic "Skipper Ben" read my e-mail on the air today. My site, fixepcot.com talks about it. I think I am possibly a geek. Maybe I need a new hobby.

In some ways I'm pleased it's coming down but in others I'm not. The trouble is that having now visited lots of parks around the World I've discovered that the Spaceship Earth structure is far from unique. In fact there are quite a few of them dotted around the place. At least the wand and arm made it unique and different from the rest.

However I did look completely out of place and not in keeping with the look and feel of Epcot, so I guess it's a good thing to see it coming down.

A lot of european parks seem to have copied it yes, a fact I was unaware of until a few weeks ago. I dont know any place in the US with a similar one.

As for the first Geosphere, depends on the definition I guess, but there was one back in the Montreal Expo as well

I didn't mind it either way... so... yay, and all that.

This thread is in such stark contrast to the one below... like not comparing the wand's removal to the Civil Rights Movement, for one.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=200771

Some of those Disney fan boys/girls are just scary.

But this was just great.

"Just out of curiosity, Do people go into the parks and enjoy them anymore? I know when I go into the parks I am just thrilled to be there for all the attractions, shows, and everything else they have to offer. I find it to be more fun exploring the park rather sitting there and wishing death upon a wand or hat."

The poster makes a great point, do Disney fans ever enjoy the parks anymore or do they just look for things that they think are wrong!

But this was just great.

"Just out of curiosity, Do people go into the parks and enjoy them anymore? I know when I go into the parks I am just thrilled to be there for all the attractions, shows, and everything else they have to offer. I find it to be more fun exploring the park rather sitting there and wishing death upon a wand or hat."

The poster makes a great point, do Disney fans ever enjoy the parks anymore or do they just look for things that they think are wrong!

The problem is that the wand, for many of us fans was a major symbol of everything that is/was wrong with Disney in the late Eisner era. Put up a tacky, cheap looking structure on the side of Spaceship Earth so that people dont forget that its a Disney park? it was very poor and doesn't represent what EPCOT was supposed to stand for

rosscoe, you obviously do not get why Disney fanatics whined about the wand. The reason? Because the wand was so out of place.

The whole front area around Spaceship Earth was to be a vision of the future of sorts. However, I doubt that in the future, we'd have giant spheres with a wand saying "INSERT TOWN NAME HERE!" Also, the wand was just one of the many wastes of money Eisner made in Disney.

The hat, I just want it gone because it seems out of place. I thought for a while that the Earful Tower was gone because of that darn hat taking over as the symbol of MGM Studios. I just loathe the wand and hat, good riddance to both!

When you equate a building structure's removal to the second coming of Christ, not enjoying the parks is the least of your problems.

In short: Yes, the wand was out of place. But some people think it's, quote, "the heralding of a whole new Epcot". It's NOT.

Someone a page or so back made a good suggestion about the hat, in that it would look a lot less out of place in the Animation Courtyard. The 30's art-deco feel the Imagineers painstakingly created is kind of ruined by the big blue hat at the end of the avenue. Is it a big issue for me? No. I refuse to "sit there wishing hate upon a wand or hat". Heck, it's a Disney vacation; you're probably wasting money sitting there anyway!

Ironically, one of the first things said in the WDWMAGIC thread was, "this also means the end of all the wand threads, as well!"

...I've counted 17 active threads since Friday.

In closing, I highly suggest ignoring all of this discussion and hope you visit a Disney park soon. They're great! You should try it!

In short: Yes, the wand was out of place. But some people think it's, quote, "the heralding of a whole new Epcot". It's NOT.

We all know there's multiple levels in fanboyism for Disney parks, or any other park for that matter. For those of us who remember EPCOT for what it was supposed to represent, the wand was an abomination. SSE is a representation of Earth, that stupid Mickey hand and wand made it look like we were being guided through the universe by Mickey himself. Pretty silly if you ask me.

I'll admit, the wand grew on me, and it was really cool at night. During the day, not so much. Future World has turned into a shell of what it's supposed to embark upon, and hopefully this is an indication the Disney execs are finally figuring it out. I'm anxious to see the wand down and the changes to SSE.

Now get rid of the monoliths in front and replant the gardens.

I dont really care about the wand, though the hat can go, I am so excited about the renovation of Spaceship Earth!

This is such a great ride, and if they adjusted the rough track and brakes, and updated the animatronics/electrical components, I think the ride would be great. Though they also need to fix the angle of the hills, because going up in the beginning all steep, was painful for my neck, going down steep, was painful for my neck and head. They need a higher head rest on those cars, because I'm 13 and my head goes above that headrest. And what about the people who are really tall like 6 foot, that headrest is down at there chest. Its crazy how uncomfortable it is. They need to add padding inside the cars too.

Now if only we could renovate Space Mountain.

We all know there's multiple levels in fanboyism for Disney parks, or any other park for that matter. For those of us who remember EPCOT for what it was supposed to represent, the wand was an abomination. SSE is a representation of Earth, that stupid Mickey hand and wand made it look like we were being guided through the universe by Mickey himself. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Pretty well said. And to those of you who don't *get* why there's so much fuss over the wand issue, let me try and shed some light. If Cedar Point were to announce they were removing TTD, how many threads do you think would emerge? The wand became a lightning rod for criticism not by mistake. Epcot purists all have their own views on why it sucked, and they were ALL right for one reason or another.

To put it in perspective, here's how I always viewed the situation. What if you were to put the same type of monstrosity next to the St. Louis Arch? The Washington Monument? Etc. Etc.?

Do you need to have a sign proclaiming the destination you've arrived at? Some destinations, and the points of interest which define them, speak for themselves. I doubt anyone from any point in the entire world ever pulled into the Epcot parking lot wondering where they were.

And when you look at the entrances for most of the other Disney parks around the world (forgive me, going on memory here), although they usually have a park sign out front, they are generally understated, allowing what lies beyond the entrance gates to do the talking (minus the Hat, for which I don't know enough of the backstory to comment).

I'll admit, the wand grew on me, and it was really cool at night.
Stay off the drugs, Matt.

Acutally, it very well *could* be. The wand removal perhaps signals the fact that new management, as Matt stated, is possibly "figuring it out". It's early yet, BUT this really is a major step, providing hope to the purists.