TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Couple questions before heading to Germany...

First, how prevalent are ATMs over there? I figure there has to at least be one in the Dusseldorf airport... Also, my card has the "star" logo on the back, if that helps. Their website only locates ATMs domestically

I mean I already called them and put in a travel notice and they didn't say that they didn't service those areas, but Germany is kinda big..

Also, someone mentioned a public transport strike, any more details? I was going to have to use the trains in Dusseldorf next Wednesday night while the others go back to Madrid because I am in and out of DUS and would like to know in advance if I have to plan around that.

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does your card have any other symbols on it? Such as Plus or Interlink? Is it just a debit card or is it a visa checkcard?

Have you contacted your bank and asked them about this. I am sure they would have an idea if you can use it in Germany. If they do not then it might be time to find another bank.

When I was stationed there in the late 90's I found ATM all over the place. There are a number of them in the airport that you are flying into. It has been a number of years since I have been in Germany. But it might be a great idea to take Traveler's Checks with you. You will find it alot easier to use them when converting dollars to Euro.

Do you think Germany is a third-world country? There are ATM's all over the place, in fact, it is probably more technically advanced and convenient than America.

As for your ATM card...ask your bank, you may be liable for hefty fees each time you withdraw money. In such case, you should get a different, international card.

ATMs are as omnipresent there as they are here. If your bank here isn't linked to any bank in Germany, you might have to pay some steep fees for transactions, or your card might not work at all.

You can always try going into a bank there or just bringing cash or traveler's checks ahead of time.

When I went to Spain last year, I asked my bank if it was better to get money changed ahead of time or wait and get money out of ATMs once I was in Europe. I was told overwhelmingly that using ATMs was the better bet.

Once I got home and took a close look at my bank account, not only was I charged the two ATM fees (from my bank and the bank owning the ATM), I was charged a "conversion fee" since I was withdrawing something other than US dollars AND I got a TERRIBLE exchange rate! Something like .10E per dollar worse than I could have gotten before I left home.

So yeah...I'd definitely give another call to your bank and ask about all the fees you might get stuck with, because over the course of 10 days, those fees added up to probably $50 or more! Needless to day, I will be changing all my money ahead of time next time.

-Julie

It's the same when I travelled to USA, obvioulsy for europeans who use Euros the cheapest way for paying is a Credit Card. Euro Vs. US$ everyday has a new conversion and for Europeans travelling to United States is getting better to buy.

In Spain or Germany (and in every country) there's a commssion, (too big!) for taking cash money from ATM. (Geldautomat in german, Cajero Automático in Spanish) But, if you use your card to pay things you buy in a shop there won't be no commssion. Sometimes unknow credit cards are able to charge you a 1% of total amount of goods and ATM money (+ % from cash money remember) if you use your card outside your own country. So let's take a closer look into those little words at the back of credit cards contracts.

Also, someone mentioned a public transport strike, any more details? I was going to have to use the trains in Dusseldorf next Wednesday night while the others go back to Madrid because I am in and out of DUS and would like to know in advance if I have to plan around that.

Huh where did you get that information? I have to go to Dusseldorf by train so it would be a big problem if the public transport isn't on time

Any more details?

Hi. I'm the guy that mentioned the public transport strikes. It was happening the last 3 days, but the unions went back into negotiations today (Thursday) and hopefully everything is done for now. As far as I know, it was only the "drivers" and staff of the long distance trains and certain regional trains. U-bahns will still be in service, so if you're coming on a train that's NOT Deutsche Bahn and you arrive at the Dusseldorf Mainstation on time, you will have no problem getting to the airport with the U-bahn or a taxi. Let's hope everything goes fine and everyone gets there with no problems!!!

As far as the ATM's go, I can confirm they are all over the place and you should have no problem withdrawing cash, but you'll definitely get a better rate if you bring Travellers checks or get Euros before you come.

In other news, the weather here in Germany has been unseasonably cold and rainy. Who knows, maybe there will be a miracle and it will warm up and be sunny when we're on our trip, but I would definitely pack some warm, weather-proof clothes, (just in case).

News concerning the strike:

Negotiations between the Deutsche Bahn company and their train drivers failed and they are planning a new general strike for next week. This week, the strikes occured mainly during the rush hours in the morning.

If your train is scheduled for this time of the day, good luck to you. But at least they will announce the particular date in advance.

PS: MrMorgan is right. This has to be the crappiest summer in history. And the weather forcast for next week is not that promising to say the least.

^^ This is definitely somewhat random, but concerning that post (as well as MrMorgan's), this is definitely an excellent example of the boards at their best. When you can get great feedback concerning international travel matters like that at a pretty quick rate, you really appreciate it. And heck, I'm not even the one traveling (although I wish I was in in Joe's spot!)

News concerning the strike:

Negotiations between the Deutsche Bahn company and their train drivers failed and they are planning a new general strike for next week. This week, the strikes occured mainly during the rush hours in the morning.

If your train is scheduled for this time of the day, good luck to you. But at least they will announce the particular date in advance.

PS: MrMorgan is right. This has to be the crappiest summer in history. And the weather forcast for next week is not that promising to say the least.

I'm going with a Regional-Express between Aachen and Dusseldorf, departs at 09:49 this sunday, so not really during rush hour. Could you please keep me updated?

Does your card have any other symbols on it? Such as Plus or Interlink? Is it just a debit card or is it a visa checkcard?

Its part of the Plus network. Its a Mastercard version of the Visa Check Card. Had it been a Visa I probably wouldn't have second guessed it.

My problem with bringing Traveller's Checks... aren't banks closed on Sunday? I'm arriving Sunday morn.

My bank doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals over here but I'll double check to see if they have any additional fees. Luckily I'm only looking for about $400/300€ so hopefully I wouldn't get beaten too badly. Everywhere else I checked seemed to think that even with fees, ATM withdrawals are best.

Thanks for the info on the strikes, that was probably more important. Especially since I can't translate the german newspapers I was searching. As said above, I definitely appreciate the help!!

as for the weather... booo! chance of rain practically every day =(

edit: found this

We just returned from our trip to Italy. I'm looking at my Washington Mutual statement. I used their ATM card. For a 200 Euro withdraw, I see $269.46 on my statement. This is a 1.3473 exchange rate which seems correct. Then, they charged me 1% or $2.69. This service charge of 1% is not bad.

I can live with that

Even most of the parks have ATMs, too. I don't know about Toverland and Klotten, but I'm sure the others have.

Usually all the major credit cards are accepted by the ATMs. Last year in America I was charged a EUR 5,-- flat fee for every withdrawal plus 1 % of the total amount for using the credit card abroad.

If you have a debit card, does it have the Maestro sign on it? Debit cards with this sign will also work. It depends on your bank how much the fee is you are liable for. I would clarify that with your bank in advance.

1780999669_maestro1_150dpi(WinCE).jpg.24e9259685c6673e58faafa916c75aa1.jpg

Even most of the parks have ATMs, too. I don't know about Toverland and Klotten, but I'm sure the others have.

Toverland has one as well. Klotten no idea, but I can't see why not.

Also, you pretty much only need cash for smaller shops and food carts. Most parks allow you to pay for tickets with credit card. Same in restaurants and hotels.

Another thing, forget the tips. Americans are used to giving 20 or more percent as a tip, but in Europe, waiters are paid a salary. A little something extra is nice and appreciated, but it doesn't have to be 20 percent. You'll be paying that in taxes already...

It's a good way to reduce your expenses a little...

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

Concerning the Bahn strikes. I was at the Hauptbahnhof (Mainstation) this afternoon and asked about the strikes at the info booth. The official word is the strikes WILL begin again, but not until MONDAY! So, for all people using the trains on Sunday, we're fine. Anyone who was planning on meeting up with the group for a day after that might have a problem.

I hope that it's good news to everyone and no one gets screwed by the strike!

Someone else mentioned the possibility of charges due to spending overseas. A lot, if not most, credit cards are charging a 1% fee for any transaction that occurs overseas. Additionally, you might want to notify your bank and credit card company that you plan on using your cards while you're overseas. Having a bunch of sudden transactions in Europe can lead to them putting a stop on your card, and that can lead to things that are not fun.

Otherwise, enjoy yourself and take some pictures of DUS's super cool suspended monorail.

I alerted my bank but don't plan to use my credit card over there, I hope it doens't come down to that.

Thanks for the bit about the tips - I had read some about that already. I just hope that service isn't compromised because tipping isn't common.

And thanks especially for the strike info. I hope that doesn't make things hard but we can deal with it I guess. At least the sky car thing mentioned above should be safe

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

Concerning the Bahn strikes. I was at the Hauptbahnhof (Mainstation) this afternoon and asked about the strikes at the info booth. The official word is the strikes WILL begin again, but not until MONDAY! So, for all people using the trains on Sunday, we're fine. Anyone who was planning on meeting up with the group for a day after that might have a problem.

I hope that it's good news to everyone and no one gets screwed by the strike!

Great news! YAY