TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: $500 Million EarthQuest theme park coming to Houston!

The developer is saying that they have a committed lead investor. They have yet to close on the land. Last time, they even had land and nothing happened. I remain skeptical, too. This has been a rather long debacle. Though, I do believe that Contour at least seems interested in building a park unlike Don Holbrook. We'll see.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could've sworn I've seen this story before, but now it says August. Contour's Chris Brown is tenacious, if nothing else.

So, what are the odds that this investor trip will actually happen this time?

EarthQuest looks forward to potential capital infusion

Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:42 pm

By Jennifer Summer

Like its star attractions, plans for EarthQuest Adventures continue to evolve.

Despite previous reports heralding its extinction and deal closures on the land, the EarthQuest developers, Contour Entertainment, anticipate for international investors to visit the proposed land where the park will sit in August 2014.

According to Chris Brown of Contour Entertainment, the investors want to see the land in person before they close on the deal and personally meet the East Montgomery County Improvement District board of directors.

They still have the target date set for an opening in 2017.

“I recently returned from a trip around the world to speak with the international investment team that is interested in EarthQuest,” Brown said in the July EMCID board meeting. “We have had some very successful steps forward but nevertheless we are still stuck on the one step that has taken us many, many years which is the financial aspect of the project.

“I am doggedly pursuing the finance portion of this project. I feel very good about the progress of EarthQuest but also feel flustered with how long it takes.”

Though Brown stated at a previous EMCID meeting that investors could possibly close on the land in May 2014, the date has now been postponed until after August when the investors are reportedly set to make a trip to New Caney.

The original parcel of land where EarthQuest was originally supposed to be built was purchased by Friendswood Development and the deal was not closed because of restrictions on the land.

They have now selected a new parcel of land still located within the borders of EMCID but they have declined to disclose the specific location of the land.

The newest EMCID board members, who were recently elected by the public, had the chance to learn more about the EarthQuest project in executive session which is closed off to the public.

Due to contract negotiations and policies, developers such as Contour Entertainment can only discuss the details in executive session because they are still working through contracts and proposed plans that they are not ready to make public as of yet.

For Brown and Contour Entertainment, the process of finding the financial backing from investors has been a long road. Brown cites that the design details and architecture are among his favorite things when it comes to developing a new project.

“The international investors want to take the time to find out who EMCID is and what all of this is about,” Brown said. “I take this as a very good sign that it will be progressing. It is at this time in August that we hope to reveal the actual closing dates for the project and timeline. We all know this has been a long time coming.”

SOURCE:http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cleveland/news/earthquest-looks-forward-to-potential-capital-infusion/article_a6311cf0-035b-57e0-b8d5-f0b94379d3ad.html

• 10 months later...

Well its obituary has finally been posted on the San Antonio Express News website, they list it as deceased since 2011:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/150years/article/The-long-lost-amusement-parks-of-Texas-6321952.php#photo-5977537

The whole show starts at:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/150years/article/The-long-lost-amusement-parks-of-Texas-6321952.php

It's a great slideshow, some places I never even knew existed.