TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Timberland Twister at the Park at MOA

Well, I just got back from our trip to Mini-Soda tonight (sorry - no photos!) and was VERY disappointed with their 2004 Gerstlauer spinning coaster, Timberland Twister. The ride jerked and bumped at every joint and caused headaches from all the head rattling - it was almost as bad as an Arrow corkscrew! Are all Gerstlauers like this or does MOA just have a horrible construction crew? After riding this, I'm a little worried to get on their new Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter next year. (No hints of construction, yet.)

Thanks,

Golfie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went on it a couple weeks ago and thought it was very smooth, second smoothest mouseish coaster i've been on (behind Pandemonium).

Hmm... I don't know - at the point each track segment ended and joined with another one, a rather violent bump occurred. (Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the park at MOA, I was just expecting more from TT)

That's what I was thinking - considering I sat in the same place both times. However, you could see the bumping in mostly every car when the riders were jerked around (and not just because of the spinning)

As an employee there, and an operator of TT, I can tell you that it varies by which car you are in and by how the weight is distributed. If the weight is uneven (heavier people on same side), you spin more and therefore may "bump" around more. Some cars go through the course and make a ton of noise while others will travel right above your head and not make a peep. It varies I guess. Also, that sudden stop you may have felt at the end of the course was the transition from the magnetic brakes to the boosters (drive wheels on the track). Again, the severity of the jolt varies by the weight distribution. I'm not trying to sound like a "Know-It-All", but that's the best explanation i can give you i guess. IMO, Timberland Twister is the best of the Gerstlauer spinners. It incorporates its surroundings better than the other ones I have ridden.

The new Euro-Fighter should be great. I just rode Mystery Mine last week and was completely blown away. Granted, Mystery Mine has a ton of themeing, but the ride itself is pretty good too! Also, I haven't seen too many people talking about it, but the Park WILL!!! be receiving an Intamin Halfpipe. I was talking with the GM a few weeks ago and he mentioned that they finalized all the paperwork recently to build one in the space currently occupied by the center fountain...not to mention that I personally have seen the plans for it.

For anyone planning on riding the Mystery Mine Ride one more time before it closes, you have until the end of August. Also, Nick Universe will have its grand opening next march, so hopefully all of the rides will be finished by then.

In 2005 I rode Mr Six just a couple months after it opened, and then Timberland Twister a year and a half after it opened. It definitely aged A LOT, like fairly smooth (MSP) vs. bumpy (TT). I really hope that Gerstlaurer's don't age that poorly normally.

^^^I hope you're right about the weight distribution thing. If that's the issue, the ride ops should be more careful about balancing the cars. I was in a bit of pain after bumping my head on the headrest in the last helix!

P.s. I'm glad to hear they're building an Intamin Halfpipe (OMGZ! <3 halfpipe) in the center fountain area - that thing is such an eyesore!

^^^Believe it or not, more people prefer to spin like crazy and are always asking us which is the best way to sit so the car spins. I have even been up in Guest Relations before listening to people complain that their car didn't spin!

^And yes, I will let you strangle me if I'm wrong about the Halfpipe!

If you want to spin, put the heavy rider in first on the right side, followed by the next heaviest. Then on the left side put the light weights in, small brave kids that want to spin usually work best on that side.

Once you learn how it wants to spin, leaning into the proper turns also helps out.

Now if you can get only 2 riders on the right side and the left empty, heaviest in first.

I have had some rides on TT that have spun the whole way and others that do not spin at all. Alot depends on how the car is loaded, what car it is and the moon phase. Same goes for smoothness.

Now if you do not want to spin, sit diagonally from each other

I have also heard there are plans for a half pipe.

I have had some rides on TT that have spun the whole way and others that do not spin at all.

I've had those rides. Thank you God for ERT. Wow, they are totally insane. Your head is plastered to the head rest. But the worst part is when it's lining itself up after the final brake run and you just keep spinning and spinning and spinning.

^^You need to try riding it again. You really do. It's usually way smoother than Ripsaw.

For the best spinnage, bribe the ride ops into letting you sit with only two people in a car facing forward.

I'll be sure to try that next year when we drive 6 hours to the Mall