TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTC Announces Single bench cars!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right, so I came-up with a very technical mock-up, which can be seen below.

It would seem that, on a trailered train, each car only has the "back" wheels, and is then supported by the car in front of it, similar to how when a car is towed, the back wheels are on the ground, and the front is supported by tow-truck.

It would also seem that, if I'm correct, this would work much better on narrowed, single-row cars, like B&M's floorless trains.

If anyone could correct me, I thank you in advance.

t.bmp

You're right on the concept of the trailered train.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking with the image, but your first row would be standard two-bench PTC trains, your second row would be a two-bench trailered train (in steel, this would be like an intamin hyper/giga), and your third row has a single-bench trailered train (like the Millennium Flyers) and a B&M floorless (it's the same for standup, dive machine, inverted, etc).

So I guess... you're right(?)

Im pretty sure the MF trains were just ripoffs/updates of an older train by Prior and Church? No ones ripping off the MF trains...just updating on a very, very old style.

From what I have read up on, that is absolutely correct! Look at a picture of the Riverview Bobs, you can clearly see that millennium flyers are an updated version of the P&C trains.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right, so I came-up with a very technical mock-up, which can be seen below.

It would seem that, on a trailered train, each car only has the "back" wheels, and is then supported by the car in front of it, similar to how when a car is towed, the back wheels are on the ground, and the front is supported by tow-truck.

It would also seem that, if I'm correct, this would work much better on narrowed, single-row cars, like B&M's floorless trains.

If anyone could correct me, I thank you in advance.

Just one thing, the PTC single bench trains aren't going to be trailered (I am pretty sure that the bottom is a millennium Flyer train though) they will be like a combination of the MF's and the 2-Bench PTCs, the article says that they will have four weight bearing (road) wheels just like a regular PTC, but will have a single row instead of double rows, or triple rows. (or even in rare occurences quadruple rows!) Just saying.

Is there any coaster that runs with four bench PTC trains?

Also, from my understanding of the description of the technicalitys of coaster cars someone posted, although these trains won't be as flexiblde as Millennium Flyers, they will help because the axles are closer together.

Hopefully SFNE will put these to use on Cyclone, I could see these doing a world of good for that coaster.

I'm looking forward to giving Hershey's Wildcat another try now that it's got 'em.

You needn't be dissappointed. I just got back from Pennsylvania, and I rode Wildcat yesterday, back seat, and other than the final turn, the ride was as painful as Lightning Racer (in other words, pretty much painless)

It used to be my second least favorite wooden coaster, (I have been on 15) but now it is my #3 wooden coaster, the spot that Dania Beach Hurricane held since April.

But to comment on PTC's trains - I pretty much have no opinion until I see pictures.

Forgot to mention in my super realistic diagram that, yes, the top picture was of a normal, non-trailered train.

Gotta agree with Tanks4me05 that Wildcat at "Hersheypark" is unbelievable - it's been a favorite of mine for a while, but the new trains are a surprising improvement. You talk about a wild ride that really throws you around in all directions, this improved version is certainly it.

Quick question about the Millenium Flyers: are those built by GCI, or some other company? And if they're built by another company, would they sell them to other manufacturers/parks?

They are built by GCI for GCI. They do not offer Millennium Flyers to any rides made by someone else, but you can see why, why just sell them a ride and let PTC get the money for trains that barely even work? Why not sell them a ride and trains. More money in your pocket. But GCI does offer maintenance services to other coasters, notably Yankee Cannonball at CaLP, from what I heard the ride was worse than Wildcat at LC before GCI retracked it. And when I rode it, it didn't feel no 70+ years old.

Yeah, its amazing how smooth Yankee Cannonball is for being almost 80 years old. Now if only GCI could work the same magic on Cyclone. SOMETHING has to be done to that coaster. It's getting worse and worse fast. Either that or rip it down and replace it with a better coaster like a Boardwalk Bullet style woodie.

• 1 year later...

Well I guess that picture kills all the previous posts in the thread... It clearly shows a trailer car in the set. I wonder if they can run a full train with only one 4 wheeler.

That said as has been pointed out it would probably hurt like anything because the seats look like the normal butt punishing PTC seats. I think what makes the Flyers so comfortable is the amount of padding in them that helps to absorb the bumps. That said I would still like to try it... It would probably look fantastic at Elitch Gardens

^ It clearly shows variations on the vehicle designs, the front one is a four-wheel design with open front and individual lap bars, the second (white) car is a four-wheel with closed front and buzz bar with no seat dividers, and the last car is a trailored version of the first.

-James Dillaman

^ It clearly shows variations on the vehicle designs, the front one is a four-wheel design with open front and individual lap bars, the second (white) car is a four-wheel with closed front and buzz bar with no seat dividers, and the last car is a trailored version of the first.

-James Dillaman

You are right... I hadn't taken in that the final one had the same open front as the front one. I just wonder what sort of restrictions the trailered cars will have. I wonder if it will not run on coasters that generate higher G forces.

One of my friends had seen these cars in person, and he was right: They basically cut a two-bench car in half. I'm not sure the nontrailered cars would be too great, but the trailered ones would probably track better on twisted track than a standard two-bench car.

Those trains aren't very impressive in my opinion. They may be an improvement on the original two bench cars, but if these are supposed to compete with millennium flyers then they really fell short. If they made these trailered and put in more padding then they would probably work better on twisted layouts.

Well, I guess we'll find out for sure if/when they make it on a coaster...