TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hypertension VS Roller Coasters

sa11480

Hi! I have this question that bothers me a lot & I hope it's not too silly to ask.

I LOVE ROLLER COASTERS, but at the same time I'm suffering from mild hypertension. I take my pills & so my blood pressure numbers are perfect.

Can I still ride roller coasters? Or do you know of anybody who has the same problem as I do?

Many thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would be wise for anyone to say on here that it is safe for you to ride roller coasters. Even if someone has hypertension and rides coasters themselves it doesn't mean it is safe for you as individual cases vary. Only your doctor can really advise on this matter.

How would someone feel if they told you it was safe and you subsequently suffered problems. In this day and age you might be within your right to sue anyone who said it was safe.

Hopefully a doctor can put your mind at ease and you can enjoy riding coasters for years to come.

I don't think it would be wise for anyone to say on here that it is safe for you to ride roller coasters.

eh, I think I can at least share what my doctor told me. I too am in the same situation (mildly hypertensive)

So long as you are taking your meds and they are working, then there is no problem with you riding. Of course, there could still be a problem, but even if you had very high blood pressure the likelihood of a serious health problem is pretty slim.

Besides, its not so much roller coasters you have to worry about... its spinning Disney rides

oh, just like all the pharmaceutical commercials say, you should ask the doctor "if its right for you" next time you see him

ParkTrips,

hey~~~ thanks so much for sharing your experience with me.

i've just been diagnosed with hypertension quite recently. i guess that's hereditary. my parents both have it. i'm on medication but a very low dosage. aside from having to take pills on a daily basis (doesn't really bother me though...), the "worst thing" i have to worry about is if i can go on roller coasters. i don't get to ride them a lot, but when i do, i make the most out of every second. i just love love love them!

i've talked to several doctors. the "older" ones suggest that you don't want to risk your life. the "younger" ones, however, say it's fine. (um... i'll just take the words of the "younger" ones, i guess! )

anyway, thanks so much. it's very comforting!!! i'm very happy now!!~~~

"roller coasters make me happy~~~"

Hi,

I also suffer from hypertension and take medication for it. The problem I have after riding is dizziness, so I avoid the multiple inversion rides. I recently returned from a Socal trip, and rode California Screamin, Goliath, Collossus, Ghost Rider, Hollywood Tower of Terror to name a few, without any health problems, I just felt a bit dizzy afterwards.