TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Racer becomes an ACE Landmark

I read in the paper the other day that the Racer at Kings Island was decaired an ACE Landmark on Sunday during their Coaster Con XXX. Don't mind the XXX, it means 30......well I think it said tomorrow it will be given that plaque to put up infront of it. It's cool to have two ACE coasters, and one previous (Beastie). Atleast it had some track work over the winter so it is re-rideable!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These days, pretty much any park that ACE visits gets some meaningless plaque for some coaster there. By the year 2245, PGAs Grizzly and Gouderix will both have plaques for their amazing contributions to the world of roller coasters and the unity and joy that it brought to the community of ACE....and the Roller Coaster Museum will still be in the planning stages

Eh, well Racer actually has some meaning because they are the oldest coasters at KI, along with Beastie (FOC)...and I remember reading in some book a while back about it restarting the coaster craze. It was like the biggest and fastest when it opened.

^It has nothing to do with ACE Coaster Classics (another silly little title that means squat), ACE Landmarks are given every year to the parks that host the club's conventions. I mean, I think Twister II got one at Elitch the one year for the Preservation Con, because we all know how much of an improvement and important that ride was to preservation, same with SFMM's Revolution with its now undesired rideability with those stupid restraints.

The point is, outside of ACE, no one cares about the plaque or that the ride was the tallest for 19 minutes back in 1975 before something else was built. The club pretty much just gives these away to any park, finding some reason or another why they should have one, making it even less "special". I'm thinking about building my own coaster in the backyard out of paper towel holders and invite the club over for one of their conventions, maybe I can get a plaque too to cover up a whole I have in the wall downstairs.

My vote goes to the Boa Squeeze for the importance it played as being the only steel coaster in Forest Fair mall, even outlasting the uncertainty of a name change the mall endured when it was revamped as Cincinnati Mills. It's deserving of an award. I'll call my ACE rep right away...

-James "In all seriousness, the Racer was an important coaster, but ACE does give out a placque or two every year..." Dillaman

Let me start out by saying ITS ABOUT FRIGGEN TIME! Judging by the history of the ride, it deserves alot more than just that ACE landmark award. Still a bit rough, but Racer/Recar is still a fun ride that I love to hit everytime I make a trip up to KI (which is starting to become a weekly thursday thing for me if anyone ever wants to meet up.)

Bravo Racer. You deserve this

-Jared "Now for Cobra..."Becker

I thought if a part of a coaster was changed it could not become a ACE coaster classic, but I could be wrong. One set of hills is missing from each side of the coaster.

When and which hills were removed? I rode the FOC at Carowinds a few years back and the last bunny hop was removed as was the one on Scooby Doo at KD I believe.

I'll just kindly say I disagree with your views on the awards.

No, no, no....Wes is right. The ACE landmarks are completely pointless.....and totally stupid....just like ACE!

Racer ranked #100 out of 179 woodies in the Mitch Hawker poll. Now tell me again, WHY does this coaster deserve recognition over those other 99 woodies?

I agree that Racer IS a fun ride, and it's probably my favorite woodie in the park (never was much of a Beast fan), but still.....

--Robb

Racer ranked #100 out of 179 woodies in the Mitch Hawker poll. Now tell me again, WHY does this coaster deserve recognition over those other 99 woodies?

Because those other 99 coasters are at parks that aren't hosting their convention giving them unlimited gravy.

It's funny that my mom heard about it on the radio, and even she who knows nothing about this stuff thought it was fishy that ACE is handing out awards to a park that just happens to be hosting their convention.

I'll just kindly say I disagree with your views on the awards.

No, no, no....Wes is right. The ACE landmarks are completely pointless.....and totally stupid....just like ACE!

I agree that Racer IS a fun ride, and it's probably my favorite woodie in the park (never was much of a Beast fan), but still.....

--Robb

Racer is the best woodie in the park right now. It's a bit shaky, but still has airtime....the Beast is just a ride through the woods [thank God it has new wood] but it's still fun. ACE is just meh to me; a club where 50$ will get you free food when they stop at your park...and maybe a few photo ops. But the awards, it's nothing negative, just something the public looks at as a HUGE and incredible honor. To us, most people don't care.

Racer should be a bit higher in the polls since it has new wood in areas of the ride.

Racer should be a bit higher in the polls since it has new wood in areas of the ride.

I seriously hope you're kidding. I'm sorry, but the Racer is nothing more than an overgrown, out-n-back, junior coaster by today's standards.

Ghostrider, which had been in my top 5 for years, recently had a lot of trackwork done. Yet, after my last ride 3 weeks ago, I may never ride it again. It's probably dropped out of my top 75 wooden coasters. I had racer at #79 on the last wood poll ballot.

Granted, with the ACE convention there this year, it may garner a few more votes because people may actually ride it. Afterall, it probably comes with a free "ACE" buffet (along with the $259 registration fee).

But, new wood means nothing. Everyday upkeep, including greasing the track (i.e. see Kennywood or BPB) daily helps. But an overgrown, out-n-back, junior coaster with no laterals, will stay middle of the road or lower.

Always and forever.