TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Im planning a trip to japan, can you help?

jarmor

Im planning a trip to japan and I wanted to know if you can give some insight and some tips. Wondered of you can give me some advise on places to stay and what I should expect as far as pricing.....

Oh yeah Im planning on going to disneyland tokyo and disney seas...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're just doing the Disney Resort it will be extremely easy and not even too expensive!

Fly in and out of Narita take the shuttle bus to Disney for $20...stay at one of the non-disney hotels on disney property and have a great time!

During Season expect to pay around $280/night for a hotel right on property...during less busy times expect to pay around $180/night. 4 Day park hopper will be about $150.

Elissa "damn those souvenirs!!!" Alvey

That's really a question you have to answer. How much do you like Disney, from what you've seen how many days do you think you want there, do you want to do anything else in Tokyo (La Qua and Joypolis are both less than 20min from Disney)?

We did Disney for 2 full days, and 2 half days. Felt pretty much like we'd seen most. Although I would really like to go back!

Elissa "The Chip and Dale Stuff is calling my name!" Alvey

That's really a question you have to answer. How much do you like Disney...

I like Disney quite a bit but Im really into themed parks that totally make you feel like you are in a whole new world. IOA is my fav destination. I did all 4 disney parks in one day. Im a single traveler so Im not taking that many breaks while at the parks.

from what you've seen how many days do you think you want there

I had plan on flying out on a sunday (probably getting there monday their time) and leaving fri their time.

do you want to do anything else in Tokyo (La Qua and Joypolis are both less than 20min from Disney)?

Based on the time frame do you think I will have enough time to visit the outside parks based on what they have to offer? Im thinking about just getting the 3 day pass and doing both on one day. I have a taget date in may to go, does anyone know how busy the parks are during that time or should I wait to go later this year?

If you want to go really cheap, Tokyo has TONS of backpacker hotels like the New Koyo for only $24 a night.

I dont pack light so I dont think thats gonna be an option for me lol lol But hey, thanks for helping out!!

All and all I have located a reasonable flight flying out of columbia sc at aprox 1300.00 I could get a hotel package and flight for aprox 1800.00 but I would rather stay onsite because from the looks of things the other hotels are 30-60 minutes away from TDL.

I appreciate all of you guys help so far and I welcome more comments and suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to bring this back from the dead but I have a date set Sept 18-23, got a flight for like 1050.00 but having trouble reading the sites in japanese. Im really trying to get the hotel set up now. The hilton is out of the question because I dont think I wanna pay 300.00 plus per night when its only just me.

Jarvis "im a banker but I dont own the bank!" Morant

I know that some of our friends used Priceline.com for their hotel in Tokyo. It was very nice, had english speaking staff, and was about a 20-30 minute train ride to Disney. Maybe you could try that? What sites are you having trouble with? We found that most of the Japanese sites had english ones or we could use babelfish to translate.

Elissa "You're going to have a great time!" Alvey

On the tokyo disney resort site i was looking at the tokyo bay hotel tokyu. i clicked on "stay" and from what I saw the rooms were pretty reasonable (like 100 something once it was converted). Im gonna start putting my planns together in about a month or so because im currently putting together my trips to ohio, va/md and fla! The guide you guys have is gonna become my bestfriend!

Did you guys learn some japanese or was it possible to get around only knowing english?

oh yeah and I opted to go to segaway (I think thats the right spelling) and laqua. Is it possible to do them both in one day?

If you mean Sega Joypolis and LaQua...you can easily do them on the same day, but keep in mind if it's raining at all you might not get Thunder Dolphin and Linear Gale at La Qua.

As for Japanese, you most certainly need to learn probably about 50 - 100 words to get buy. The vast majority of people over there (including at Disney) do not speak any english.

Learn polite conversation, numbers, how much, that one, etc.

I recommend the "Japanese For Dummies" book. It was very helpful and comes with an audio cd so you can actually hear the pronounciation.

Elissa "San-nin desu - 3 people...we had to use that at every attraction grouper!" Alvey

Based mostly on R&E's video and Japan TR, I was highly considering going to Japan to visit USJ and TDL. My mom wants me to go with her to China in October 2006. If I can get her to buy me the plane ticket, I think I can find some way to go to HKDL, USJ, and TDL. Then again, she wants to find me a Chinese bride!

One more question for now! (im serious lol lol) I was planning on converting 500.00 USD to yen's. Do you think that would be enough to get by for the week? Im not a big souvineer (spl??) person.

Wow. Do Americans have some kind of secret super priced travel agency? Ideally i wanted a hotel in the Disney area, but these were way too expensive - the cheapest alternative 5 star accomodation going in Tokyo was over £100 a night. The miracosta and surrounding hotels were around £300 ($600) a night. Also, we are worried that £800 good old british pounds isn't enough for a week in Tokyo, and thats just for food, transport etc. So Jarmor, i'm not sure if 250 squid will be enough... that would buy a meal for two, a train ticket and cheese sandwich on this side of the pond, and Tokyo is renowned for being pricey

I would bring extra cash with you since many places in Japan do not take credit cards. Luckily most of Disney does, but in case you have any 'contingency' you should have extra cash.

How much money to bring? Well, that depends on where you're staying. You're going to need money for transportation each day (more if you're staying farther away), money for food, drinks, admissions to other parks, etc.

Do a budget to figure out how much you need.

Elissa "Japan isn't as expensive as everyone thinks" Alvey

Just finished reading through your Japan Trip Report. Have to thank you for all the details you took the time to document, as well as helping me kill an afternoon at work

Going to be heading to Japan end of October/ Early November for 1 week with only Tokyo Disneyland on the itinerary so far. Was just wondering what type of transportation the Hilton provided to the Disney parks, was it included in your room cost, and how long of a trip was it.

Also, was the 4 day pass around $165.00, or am I mixing my yen up. Since we're only going to be in Japan for a week, I will probably only be able to squeeze out 3 days at TDL - so any other time saving tips you might have would be great. My wife (well, she will be by then), is not a huge Disney fan, but I am - and would love to take in as much of TLD as possible in those three days. She's also a late sleeper, so I was wondering if the Hotel was close enough that I could go out at park open - then come get her around 10AM (when she finally wakes up) and head back for more.

Joypolis and LaQua are pretty much out of the question this time around, as we'll probably spend the rest of the time sightseeing.

I also have and do recommend the Japanese for Dummies book. Luckily for those of you planning to venture to Japan, it's not a difficult language to pick up. If you have sometime before your trip, I'd also recommend a language series known as 'Instant Immersion' (or something like that). It teaches you Japanese (or any other language of your choice) in a way similar to how a child lears to read (helpful for most of us). It's for your puter, and not quite as convienent as listening to CDs in the car - but definately a helpful language tool if you invest the time.

Learning Chinese, that's another story. Luckily I've still got some time before heading out to HKDL.

I found the PC Japanese software the most effective learning method by far - i think it was the immersion one i used but not sure. The four day Disney pass was about £85 each which is bloody good value considering the scabbesville Thorpe Park here is £25 a day.

I contacted the tokyo bay hotel tokyu and they have english speaking staff. From what I can tell they seem to have the cheapest rates from looking at the website. Im now thinking about spending 2 nights at the disney resort then 2 nights at a place close to laqua and sega joypolis...

Is there anyway to combine the 2 "going to japan" threads

You're only interested in Disney right?

At Disney the crowds were bad, but manageable. We were there during "normal" season. From what I understand the park is NEVER empty, just busy, busier and nearly unbearable. We were there during "busier" but with as efficient as they were, fastpass, and the general awe of the place it was fine! Make sure to arrive at least one hour before the gates open as the lines get VERY long just to get in. Run right in and get a fastpass for something then standby for something else right away.

Don't worry as much about Disney Seas, it wasn't as busy and quite easy to do without fastpass.

Elissa "other than Disney and Fuji-Q the parks were DEAD" Alvey

Im going to la qua and joypolis also but I was thinking should I just stay the 4 nights at disney and just travel out of it or spend 2 nights there then 2 nights near the other parks. Im going to be there from the 19th to the 23rd.