TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Opens!

I thought Nemo at Epcot could have been better, to be honest. But I remember the original Living Seas being booooooring (though the hydrolators were awesome!)

I have nostalgic memories of the sub ride at WDW but never rode the DL version... but you're right, if it's like the Epcot ride but "in a sub" it's probably not as exciting as they've hyped it.

btw, this:

may* contain a likeness to one Ricky Brigante, host of the insanely (absurdly?) popular "Inside the Magic" WDW-specific podcast who won a "Disney Dream Job" and picked the HM for his assignment.

(I may be new around here but I am indeed a geek. )

[* - I've only seen really crappy pictures of Mr. Brigante.]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a maintenance ladder lying on the ground. At the end of the ride, the final Indy appeared to have his neck-skin peeling out from beneath his shirt. REFURBISH INDIANA JONES ADVENTURE NOW!

I was there last thursday and all I saw was a latter next to some of the lighting equipment. All of the effects were working,including the rats whic h I hadn't seen work properly for a very long time.

But I really do think that the attraction needs some enhancements. It was built back in 94 and had many great break through effects/technology developments that hold up very well today. But there are other areas that are lacking. I think with some enhancements, the ride could easily be brought up to par, or made even better then the Disney Seas version of the attraction (which for the record is only better because it was built 7 years after the original, so don't bash the original. It's still a great attraction which only has a few minor problems, imo). But even still the original is definately better then a lot of the more modern attractions we see today.

So to end my little rant, I ask again, "Am I the ONLY person who feels this way?"

No, I totally agree with you. Like you said, the Epcot version is OK if it's a walk on. I cannot imagine waiting for the sub version for 30 minutes, let alone 3 or 4 hours. I'm sort of "meh" about the CA Disney parks anyway, and while I'm sure this will be very popular, I does strike me as being very overhyped.

dt

^Hmm--I guess I'm in the middle here: 1) Yes, I think it's a good thing that the subs are back, but 2) I'm not champing at the bit to check 'em out right away.

You're definitely not alone on this, Robb. I do want to get to Disneyland/DCA, someday, just because I've never been there, but this ride doesn't particularly interest me.

We've been on the Epcot Nemo ride several times, and I'm claustrophobic, so the whole Nemo sub thing is not something I'd be racing to try. Meh.

I remember I used to be terrified of the subs because of that green monster or what ever it was at the end. It just had the weirdest face ever!

actually, this picture of Jahan reminds me of the green monster juuust a little bit

just kidding.

Great TR though!

You guys are brave to go to Disney on a Press Conference day. I went when they opened the "new" Tomorrowland and almost got trampelled over a bajillion times.

Great TR and photos!

I agree with Robb, the wait kills. I'd like to ride the subs again (as a kid I was totally taken by them), but I don't think I can justify waiting that long for it.

The condition of Indy makes me weep, I wont even go on it anymore. I cant justify spending time in the queue for a ride where maybe 3 of the major effects barely work....

Wow Jahan, Great TR! Thanks for sharing! There was alot of reading, and the captions of the photos were pretty funny (Great photos BTW).

That really sucks how they're blocking California's Screamin' by putting that building in front of the loop... I mean its no big deal, but that kindof defeats the purpose of seeing the mickey on the loop, no?

Disneyland appears to be very crowded, its like that over here too, the other day I couldn't even walk around Magic Kingdom without having to bump into people every 2-3steps. So I think I'll wait till fall to go back and hope that its not as jammed as it is in the summer...

The Submarine ride looks okay I guess. I haven't been on one of those since WDW's version of 20,000 leagues, but I was like 5 when I last rode it and loved the ride. If its like Epcot's version of Finding Nemo like everyone says it is, I definately wouldn't get hyped over it. Epcot's version is okay, but its like riding a storybook. And I thought it would have more animatronics in it than it did, and not just projections.

Thanks for the TR!

-Justin

Being as I neglected to mention this in my earlier post, good job, Jahan! It does seem a bit strange that Disney would hide Screamin's loop behind a cupola, but I'l reserve judgment until they're finished.

Frankly, although the subs seem pretty cool, I'm more intrigued by Toy Story Mania.

Liked the report! I have never been to Disneyland... only Walt Disney World... So that was interesting to see pics and hear your report.

I would love to take more trips to amusement parks... but money is tight and my partner doesn't really care for coasters or other rides that I LOVE!

Jamie :0)

IMO, Nemo is nothing more than a re-hash of a 50 year old attraction over-hyped to cover up for the fact that Disneyland hasn't really added anything "new" to their park since Indy opened in 1995.

Yeah but if you try to tell a Disney Fan that, they will come back with "They added all of DCA since Indy..."

PS: Okay I'll admit it...I couldn't find any of my recent posts, so I posted so I could see if my "donkey" rating had changed...

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of your comments! Appreciate it, I really do!

Jahan, I see they kept the Nautilus. Did they keep all the other names as well?

I'm going to be honest with you Matt--as fanboyish as I am, I didn't know the original names of the subs. But I believe they are the same. They're all "exploration" names.

Did anybody else notice that Ryan, and Chris are wearing (almost) identical shirts?

Trust me. We gave them plenty of crap for that.

IMO, Nemo is nothing more than a re-hash of a 50 year old attraction over-hyped to cover up for the fact that Disneyland hasn't really added anything "new" to their park since Indy opened in 1995.

To "cover up". You've managed to turn the Subs into a conspiracy.

I personally believe that any "hype" was stictly in the Disney and theme park "communities". The fact that we're included in that makes it seem as if there has been a lot of hype. But to the general public--what has there been? A construction wall, a TV spot, some billboards, I got a poster with my LA Times......anything else? The general public never had someone on the "inside" saying "this will be the next Disney e-ticket" to them.

And yes, it isn't a new ride. But it is a new show (for those of use who cant go to Epcot five times a year). All "hype" aside, it was an enjoyable ride. Just because it was initially hyped up doesn't discount that fact. I really liked the ride and can see me getting up at the crack of dawn to be at Disneyland at opening to ride it again.

-Jahan

I personally believe that any "hype" was stictly in the Disney and theme park "communities". The fact that we're included in that makes it seem as if there has been a lot of hype. But to the general public--what has there been? A construction wall, a TV spot, some billboards, I got a poster with my LA Times......anything else?

The nemo mobile thing with a traveling turtle talk with Crush and the seagull animatronics. And radio ads. And all the media events (one to christen the subs, media previews before the ride opened, the opening ceremony). Plus they hosted the travel industry trade party thing earlier...think Nemo was mentioned at all during that?

I don't even think the huge 50th campaign got all that.

Add all that up and you have Disney's most aggresive marketing campaign for a ride since....I don't even know. Maybe Indy?

^ They closed the park for a day for the 50ths press event. I saw 15' x 25' banner-ads for the 50th in Vancouver.

And this is also most likely the most money Disneyland has spent on an attraction since Indy. Of course they're going to market the hell out of it. There wouldn't be a point of building rides if they didn't advertise them.

Despite all the advertising, I still know people who didn't realize that the subs are back.

-Jahan