TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland California Discussion Thread

I know it's kind of early to speculate 2013 rides, though I think it might be Flying Ninjago, a Gerstlauer Sky Fly. This is based off of what they're building in Legoland Duetschland and I hope they build it here in LLC.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were some amazing displays in the Master Builder Competition. Where did they put those displays that are usually on the Master Builder shop rooftop, like the lego Thinker and lego art?

The only picture that was from the Master Builder competition was the one picture at the end. That was the model I made of the Death Star Detonation scene from episode 4.

All of those models were fan made creations on display for the Lego Star Wars weekend.

I know it's kind of early to speculate 2013 rides, though I think it might be Flying Ninjago, a Gerstlauer Sky Fly. This is based off of what they're building in Legoland Duetschland and I hope they build it here in LLC.

I've mentioned before in this thread that they could be getting a SkyFlyer. However...it's not looking too hopeful. Legoland Deutschland already opened their SkyFlyer last month and I had the pleasure of viewing several in depth videos of the attraction. There are two main issues that make an installation less likely:

Height: At it's peak, Ninjago is around 70 feet tall...it would the tallest of any attraction at Legoland CA is it were built here. There's a very low height variance the park has to work with due to the Palomar Airport less than a mile away.

Space: The other issue with the ride system is that in addition to the space needed for the base of the ride, there also needs to be clearance all around the ride because of the spinning arm's length.

Both of these issues would affect where they could place this ride in the park, however the location I think would work best would be in the hardly traveled area across the Lion's Gate Bridge where the entrance to Sky Cruiser used to be. The issue with this location would be whether or not it would conflict with the Sky Cruiser or Kid Power Tower. That area has been dead for years and really needs something,

I particularly like the "old school" mural.

That was one of my personal favorite touches. It was quite similar to the one they had on the opening day of the Star Wars Miniland Last Year:

(it can be seen at 0:16)

The new ride is looking great so far and is larger then I originally anticipated. The peak of the lift is 30ft while the drop is 25ft. Boats are modled after the old school shoot the chute boats. Each boat will carry 20 people and the ride can run two boats at once. Some of the track for the drop is now in place.

Mmm...by the looks of it I'm not quite sure they'll fully make it by opening day. There's still a heck of a lot of work they have to do.... I'd rather they delayed it a week or two and have it full quality than have them rush it open with numerous issues. I really don't want another "Pirate Shores Opening". Although...if they want to catch the Memorial Day Crowds...

They'll be going up against Manta as they are both set to open the same weekend. It'd be better off at this point if they're running behind to just let Sea World have Memorial Day, then open Pirate Reef once all the schools get out.

I've mentioned before in this thread that they could be getting a SkyFlyer. However...it's not looking too hopeful. Legoland Deutschland already opened their SkyFlyer last month and I had the pleasure of viewing several in depth videos of the attraction. There are two main issues that make an installation less likely:

Height: At it's peak, Ninjago is around 70 feet tall...it would the tallest of any attraction at Legoland CA is it were built here. There's a very low height variance the park has to work with due to the Palomar Airport less than a mile away.

Space: The other issue with the ride system is that in addition to the space needed for the base of the ride, there also needs to be clearance all around the ride because of the spinning arm's length.

Both of these issues would affect where they could place this ride in the park, however the location I think would work best would be in the hardly traveled area across the Lion's Gate Bridge where the entrance to Sky Cruiser used to be. The issue with this location would be whether or not it would conflict with the Sky Cruiser or Kid Power Tower. That area has been dead for years and really needs something,

I think the height will be fine as it would be only 20' higher than the Technic Coaster. For space, the ride's footprint is only 44' x 31' and the "flight path diameter" is 98'. I think that the ride can be squeezed in somewhere as it is only a flat ride, it doesn't take much space. I think if they moved Flight Squadron to the Lion's Gate Bridge area that you mentioned and to place the Sky Fly there. I don't think Flying Ninjago would be a suitable theme in that location as the only area of the park I can see it suited in is near Techic Coaster.

I think the height will be fine as it would be only 20' higher than the Technic Coaster. For space, the ride's footprint is only 44' x 31' and the "flight path diameter" is 98'. I think that the ride can be squeezed in somewhere as it is only a flat ride, it doesn't take much space. I think if they moved Flight Squadron to the Lion's Gate Bridge area that you mentioned and to place the Sky Fly there. I don't think Flying Ninjago would be a suitable theme in that location as the only area of the park I can see it suited in is near Techic Coaster.

There's no space left readily accessible over by Technic. Most of that is backstage stuff that's there to stay.

The issue is more finding a place without disturbing the flow of the park.

Yes, the SkyFlyer could be placed in a several locations. The location I suggested is the most logical if they were to apply a Ninjago Theme. Seeing as it is the most popular Lego Brand at the moment, an attraction based on it makes sense. It wouldn't fit in the atmosphere of Fun Town. Fun Town has a small, quaint feel to it that would be disturbed by a Sky flyer. In terms of minimal park impact during construction and space constraints to the rather large nature of the ride, the location above the waterfall and Lion's Gate Bridge makes sense.

In all honesty I can see theme doing a similar expansion as Legoland Germany and expand Miniland over the Lion's Gate Bridge and create a mini Ninjago area with the Sky Flyer and a Miniland area.

A while back, right around the time Nemisis Sub Terra was opening I had the idea of theming an indoor drop tower to Ninjago and calling it "Dojo Drop". Riders would enter a "Dojo" and learn to "master the four elements" (the ride itself). Not sure if Legoland has that kind of cash to spend on their next big park expansion (which SHOULD happen once the hotel opens?).

Still having a Ninjago area is not that far fetched.

Mmm...by the looks of it I'm not quite sure they'll fully make it by opening day. There's still a heck of a lot of work they have to do.... I'd rather they delayed it a week or two and have it full quality than have them rush it open with numerous issues. I really don't want another "Pirate Shores Opening". Although...if they want to catch the Memorial Day Crowds...

They'll be going up against Manta as they are both set to open the same weekend. It'd be better off at this point if they're running behind to just let Sea World have Memorial Day, then open Pirate Reef once all the schools get out.

I think it it will be done on time, they are moving along at a great pace! They have the whole drop track up as well as the turn around now they just need the bottom portion track and the lift! Ill grab a pick to marrow as it actually is a lot bigger then I originally imagined.

There's no space left readily accessible over by Technic. Most of that is backstage stuff that's there to stay.

The issue is more finding a place without disturbing the flow of the park.

Yes, the SkyFlyer could be placed in a several locations. The location I suggested is the most logical if they were to apply a Ninjago Theme. Seeing as it is the most popular Lego Brand at the moment, an attraction based on it makes sense. It wouldn't fit in the atmosphere of Fun Town. Fun Town has a small, quaint feel to it that would be disturbed by a Sky flyer. In terms of minimal park impact during construction and space constraints to the rather large nature of the ride, the location above the waterfall and Lion's Gate Bridge makes sense.

In all honesty I can see theme doing a similar expansion as Legoland Germany and expand Miniland over the Lion's Gate Bridge and create a mini Ninjago area with the Sky Flyer and a Miniland area.

A while back, right around the time Nemisis Sub Terra was opening I had the idea of theming an indoor drop tower to Ninjago and calling it "Dojo Drop". Riders would enter a "Dojo" and learn to "master the four elements" (the ride itself). Not sure if Legoland has that kind of cash to spend on their next big park expansion (which SHOULD happen once the hotel opens?).

Still having a Ninjago area is not that far fetched.

Also, on the park map on the Legoland website, there's a "glitch" where 2 Dune Raiders show up. The one on the right is the glitch which seems to be a possible location for the Sky Fly. Also, the Sky Fly can go to Pirate Shores as it seems like there's a bit more of land still there.

Also, on the park map on the Legoland website, there's a "glitch" where 2 Dune Raiders show up. The one on the right is the glitch which seems to be a possible location for the Sky Fly. Also, the Sky Fly can go to Pirate Shores as it seems like there's a bit more of land still there.

You can't judge land based on park maps. They aren't drawn to scale. The area behind Dune Raiders is a Pathway that leads into Miniland and some backstage equipment for Aquazone.

They could put one over by Pirate Shores & Pirate Reef, but for now I think they'll be focusing on the ?water park? for the Hotel's opening.

Speaking of Aquazone, I realized I never uploaded my footage I had of the ride until yesterday:

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning a trip this June/July to SoCal, and we want to visit Legoland. Now I am wondering if I should be getting a hopper ticket to the Sea Life Aquarium - is it worth it? Will we be able to complete both in a day? I am flying blind here, never have been to a Legoland before! We are filling our days up with parks - SWSD, DL, DCA, KBF, USH, SFMM and LGL, so there will be no opportunity for a second day pass. So, basically I need to know from those of you who have been to both - worth it or not?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. We are not doing the water park. I feel it is geared to young kids, and mine are 17 & 19.

How much is it to add the aquarium? If I remember correctly and it's only like $10 I would go for it as it's a nice relaxing quiet, dark, air conditioned respite to your day at Legoland. If it's more than that, I wouldn't bother as the Aquarium is just as geared towards children as the water park is and it's quite small.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems like Pirate Reef already opened over 2 weeks ago:

It looks like a really nice ride, any reviews on it?

Anyways, I can't wait to ride it as I'm getting my LLC season pass in 2 weeks, the first time going to Legoland since 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally Uploaded my footage/review:

Legoland has a winner on their hands. Pirate Reef is the real water attraction myself and many other felt was lacking from the original Pirate Shores Expansion that opened in 2006. This brand new 10 million dollar Hopkins Jr. Shoot the Chutes attraction tells the tale of two rival Pirate Bands engaged in battle on the stormy Pirate Reef.

The theming is some of the best on any of Lego's attractions and features quite a few figures (including the Pirate Captains Redbrick and Blue Brick in two locations). The ride itself features two Pirate Boats on either side of the splashdown. These boats serve as the exit for the attraction. Guests can board the attraction from both the water park and the regular park. If you have a season pass, I recommend going over to the water park in a swimsuit as the ride waits are often shorter, and you get absolutely drenched.

Yes! Even for its rather small stature Pirate Reef gets you ridiculously wet! There were signs warning guests of the experience all around the queue line, and they aren't kidding. The track has two boats, one that is used for guests from the water park, and one that is used for the guests in the normal park. This system works quite well. The exit, as a result of the dual boarding, is split in half, with one half of each boat being used for water park and the other half used for normal park.

You get a great view from the lift hill of the ride, and there's speakers playing music all the way around the turn before you plunge in a rather decent sized drop into the water below. Go check out Pirate reef if you have the opportunity to!

416698816_DSCN2973(Copy).JPG.e311339114ee9032c9d9062d859bca82.JPG

Arrrrr you ready?

• 2 months later...

The hotel definitely is doing good progress, they are starting to paint the columns red in the back, right portion of the hotel (at the parking lot's point of view). I can't wait to see how it looks when it is finished.

Brick or Treat was great!

Fantastic way to kick off the Halloween season. This year we saw a guest appearance by an amazing performance group by the name of Art Attack, who performed live artistry mixed with a variety of show elements. Altogether the event felt really strong this year. There seemed to be an increase in the number of roving actors, and the atmosphere continues to get better and better!

I'll post some photos and videos tomorrow.

Edited by SoCalCoasters

I'm surprised to see that the hotel was painted very quickly over the last two weeks. I'll post a picture in a few days.

Hope it is not priced a ridiculously as the other Carlsbad hotels!

It probably will be very expensive as:

1. It is in Carlsbad, a very popular tourist destination.

2. It is in Legoland, so it will have a premium in its price because of its location.

3. It has lego themed rooms, so it will probably be pricy.

Brick or Treat was great!

Fantastic way to kick off the Halloween season. This year we saw a guest appearance by an amazing performance group by the name of Art Attack, who performed live artistry mixed with a variety of show elements. Altogether the event felt really strong this year. There seemed to be an increase in the number of roving actors, and the atmosphere continues to get better and better!

I'll post some photos and videos tomorrow.

Brick or Treat was pretty good, I got free candy without waiting that much. Also, you forgot to mention you saw me.

Here's the video! My camera unfortunately died about half way through the event, so this was the best footage of the show that I got.

I apologize for the shaking at the start, I stepped up onto a bench to get a better angle.

Definitely watch this all the way through, the reveal at the end is great!

• 2 months later...

http://california.legoland.com/legoland-hotel/

You’ve always wanted to spend the night at LEGOLAND. Now you can.

Opening April 5, 2013, treat your family to the ultimate LEGO® experience – a day at LEGOLAND® California Resort and a night at the all-new LEGOLAND Hotel! LEGOLAND Hotel will immerse your family in the creative world of LEGO®, for a truly unforgettable experience. From the moment you arrive at the spectacular dragon-guarded entrance, you’ll be delighted by interactive LEGO features, themed play areas, family pool and kid’s entertainment!

Located right at the main entrance of LEGOLAND California, a stay at our new LEGO themed hotel will turn a day you’ll always remember into a night you’ll never forget! All 250 guest rooms are themed, so your family can choose from one of three popular LEGO lines – Pirate, Kingdom or Adventure. Rooms include two separate sleeping areas, with a queen-size bed for grown-ups, and a separate area for up to three little ones, complete with a bunk bed, pull-out trundle bed and their very own TV! A stay at LEGOLAND Hotel also gets your family exclusive early admission to LEGOLAND, as well as kid’s entertainment every night!

907513370_ScreenShot2012-12-18at7_26_56PM.jpg.8f1ceae207b62fe539fea8abfd66c84a.jpg