TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elissa's Random Thought of the Day!

My brothers and I had Creepy Crawlers and one of those Vac-u-Form machines. We loved playing with them, and didn't mind the occasional singed finger.

I was watching some movie on cable where a bunch of people were playing the Green Ghost board game--that thing was awesome!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cre-e-e-py CRAWLERS!!!

I loved those things. My brother and I would play with those for hours on end. I know I grew up with a lot of those toys since my older brother was younger when quite a few of those were still popular and were passed on to me.

I miss the toys of those years. So much simpler, so much better. Toys today are all electronic and overdone. For example, I was at...Target...I think...whatever, and there was this dragon toy that was literally two and half feet long or so, and when activated, it walked moved its head, neck, legs, tail, mouth, etc. and made growling noises and stomped. It was insane. But not as insane as the price. Three hundred dollars. I asked my friend how spoiled kids must be these days if these are the gifts that they are getting. Right then, a girl, maybe three years old, pushed the button, giggled, and the dad grabbed a box and bought it for her. I was amazed at this, I would never have gotten anything that expensive as a gift when I was little, heck, even today. Whatever happened to the simple LEGO sets, or the Fisher Price train sets, or the Fisher Price town sets? They were incredibly simple, but you needed imagination to make them fun. Which is what I think the problem is. Kids these days don't need their imagination to have fun, so these simple toys just don't cut it. And that saddens me greatly.

Edit: My bad, it's a dinosaur, not a dragon. But here is a video of it in action.

^Funny story...that was actually the first Yo Gabba Gabba toy we ever got! It was on clearance at Target way back, before we had even seen the show!

12/31/09 - The Real World

I actually took some time and commented on the MTV Real World Show...check it out here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53685

After reading that catalof I desperatly want to watch Gumby, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, and All That(the original cast) as well as the movie Good Burger. Also, its weird... I dont even think they make hotwheels anymore. I used to have an awesome how wheels set that shot out of a volcano. I also used to have Ducktales and Darkwing Duck playsets. Anyone remember Legends of the Hidden Temple? I almost got on based on Application but was a few years to young, but I got a call back and everything.

^And the creepy guys still troll retail stores as soon as they open for the more rare ones to sell one e-Bay. Ugh I hate hardcore toy collectors.

As for the Real World, I watched Boston, Seattle, Hawaii and New Orleans then it just kinda fizzled out for me, Back to New York's cast didn't interest me and I haven't watched since. I miss the original Road Rules where they had an RV and had to travel to the challenges, none of this crappy "Real World/Road Rules Challenge" crap they have on now. I guess that's why I enjoy Amazing Race when i remember it's on lol.

After reading that catalof I desperatly want to watch Gumby, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, and All That(the original cast) as well as the movie Good Burger. Also, its weird... I dont even think they make hotwheels anymore. I used to have an awesome how wheels set that shot out of a volcano. I also used to have Ducktales and Darkwing Duck playsets. Anyone remember Legends of the Hidden Temple? I almost got on based on Application but was a few years to young, but I got a call back and everything.

As long as the videos have dodged the copyright violation cleansing which happens every so often, you can find full-length episodes of most of the shows you listed on YouTube. I know there are a number of channels that host full-length Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, and Darkwing Duck episodes.

The Nick shows you referred to are much harder to find on YT (mainly because Viacom removes them the second they're uploaded ), but if you happen to come across some that were missed or recently uploaded, you could download them and watch them from the safety of your own computer.

I've also been able to find some old Nicktoons/classic Nick shows on the Nick.com website, but that was a few years ago. Lastly, there are websites that host full length retro-TV shows all over the Internet. Including a lot of old Nicktoons and Cartoon Network cartoons.

And the creepy guys still troll retail stores as soon as they open for the more rare ones to sell one e-Bay. Ugh I hate hardcore toy collectors.

Are you kidding? I love hardcore toy collectors! How else would I be able to sell new, name brand die-cast vehicles for $90 on eBay?

Also, "Legends of the Hidden Temple" rules!

Jason "I'm not a troll, but I have my sources" R.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, Elissa! I feel officially old now too. LOL I ordered the catalog in my youngest son's name since he loves to get mail. Hubby opened his own lawn care business and I keep joking as he adds equipment that I want an excavator just so I can dig in the backyard to relieve stress. Now he's joking that he's going to buy me the toy ride on excavator off this site. Not. The. Same. LOL

BTW, I've been lurking for years, posted maybe twice, but I wanted to let you know I've been enjoying your random musings, especially since you're "one of us" now (a mama bear).

Christie

12/29/09 - I officially feel old.

So I was looking through a ton of random catalogs here at my parents house today (since my mom is pretty much on every mailing list known to man) and I ran across one called "Back to Basics Toys".

It's a toy catalog with a ton of awesome toys from yesterday and today. It's sad that all the old toys seemed so much better to me than the newer ones. It's also weird seeing rotary toy phones and etch a sketch's listed as 'classic'.

Anyway, it's worth a look if you want to feel nostalgic... www.backtobasicstoys.com

They most definitely still make Hot Wheels. We have a large bin full of them.

Ditto here with an 8 year old and a 10 year old. We have millions, I swear. We have the ones hubby had when he was a kid 3 decades ago and the ones his brother had, plus the ones the boys have accumulated over the years. I have to say the sets and tracks are crappy and unless you glue them together, fall apart before the kid can try it out. (Which comic character was it that used to always set up his Hot Wheels to end up smacking into people at the end of the track? Was it Calvin and Hobbes, or am I thinking of Ryan King and his Vekoma box? )

The cars from our generation are much sturdier (and more painful LOL) and definitely had more interesting themes and details to me. Now, the plastic's cheaper and they are boring. At the risk of sounding like my dad, they just don't make things like they used to!

As long as the videos have dodged the copyright violation cleansing which happens every so often, you can find full-length episodes of most of the shows you listed on YouTube. I know there are a number of channels that host full-length Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, and Darkwing Duck episodes.

Hulu.com is a good place for vintage cartoons and shows also. My 8 year old should have been born in the 80's as he is an Alf, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future (yes, he has drooled over the Delorean trip report) and he gets his fix of those shows and cartoons (remember The Real Ghostbusters?) on Hulu. I've watched Silver Spoons, Facts of Life, Punky Brewster, etc on there also. Yep, really showing my age. How about this one? I remember Fergie when she was just Stacy Ferguson on Kids Incorporated.

• 3 weeks later...