TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Evolution or Creationism

c0@ster

Evolution or Creationism  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Evolution or Creationism

• Evolution
    • Creationism

Well, I do believe in evolution, but I have a fair amount of religious faith as well. To me, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, though that doesn't seem to be a popular view with either side of the aisle.

I'd say I'm a deist. I believe there is a prime mover of some sort, and that our universe is much too complex for scientists to fully explain, even at this point. But, I think whatever this prime mover is, it leaves most of our existence up to ourselves. Most evangelicals probably wouldn't like me much, because I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the bible. The Old Testament, the book a lot of fanatics like to lean on, is also the book of the Jews. Ask any Jew, and he/she will most likely tell you that much of it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

I respect Atheists, and don't force my views on them...But at the same time, I just think it's a rather depressing, and hopeless way at looking at one's self and the world.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in evolution because there is such strong evidence in favor of it. While as others have pointed out that it takes a lot of time to see speciation, there are examples that can be seen. I encourage everybody to go look up and read about the peppered moth, as it is one of the easiest ways to see evolution in action. As far as the thought that we have evolved from monkeys, I'm not sure why so many people take such offense to that. It's not to say we are still monkey's, it's just who we are most closely related to. Sometime take a minute and go look at Australopithecus and I think it becomes pretty easy to actually see evolution.

I'm a dinocentrist. I believe dinosaurs are the center of the universe, and I theorize that the Earth is really just a big dinosaur egg. We were placed here by an advanced alien species as food for when the thing hatches.

Well, not really.

But maybe...

I think, for a lot of people, origins is a non-issue. It's just not something we dwell on or care about. As someone else said, we're here.

In this great* land of ours, you're free to believe the Earth is anywhere from 6,000 to 4.5 billion years old, and that's okay. But science should be left to the scientists, and theology to the theologians.

*Refers to land occupied by roller coasters and other thrill rides.

I believe in what can be proven. Or, barring that, whichever is closest to provable.

To believe that some higher power put evolution into motion is defendable, but to willfully disbelieve in evolution is the equivalent of disbelieving in gravity, motion, or bones.