TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Evolution or Creationism

c0@ster

Evolution or Creationism  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Evolution or Creationism

• Evolution
    • Creationism

I believe that God created the Earth, but I also believe that things evolved over time.

I agree

I don't get how people feel this way. I mean, you either think the bible is true, that god created man, or science is true, and that we evolved.

How do you pick and choose things out of a bible? It would seem that you either think it was based on truth, or it wasn't. And if you don't belive God created man, as it says in the bible, why would you believe anything else it says? (Like the fact that there is a god at all)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You can believe that God created humans, but also believe that he made things to adapt and "evolve". There is black and white proof that certain animals, plants, bacteria, etc, have evolved just within our own lifetime. I think that is what people are saying when they say they believe in both.

If the question is more specific; Do you believe humans "evolved" or were "created", then I would agree with what you are saying.

I don't get how people feel this way. I mean, you either think the bible is true, that god created man, or science is true, and that we evolved.

How do you pick and choose things out of a bible? It would seem that you either think it was based on truth, or it wasn't. And if you don't belive God created man, as it says in the bible, why would you believe anything else it says? (Like the fact that there is a god at all)

Think of it this way. Do you think a baker makes a loaf of bread? Or is it the yeast reacting with all the other ingredients combined with the heat which makes it?

The two can overlap sometimes depending on how you look at it.

I believe that God created the Earth, but I also believe that things evolved over time.

I agree

Do you believe eating shellfish is an abomination??

The bible says that too.

Think of it this way. Do you think a baker makes a loaf of bread? Or is it the yeast reacting with all the other ingredients combined with the heat which makes it?

I think his problem is more with people believing certain details but then ignoring other parts or simply adding their own ideas into it, and not the actual idea itself. Like how the Bible says God created man and animals and everything terrestrial, and basically leaves it at that, but here we see many people seemingly having a belief that is "unscripted." I think, and yeah I could be wrong, but I think he has a problem with people saying they believe in the stories in the Bible, but then changing or adding on to those stories as if they were either left vague or simply incomplete.

I know I've always found it odd how some passages are written off as "outdated" and then others are clung to so tightly, even though they were all supposedly divinely inspired by their god.

I am Christian, but you know, both could have happened. God could have created the earth with completely different animals from today (since the bible is not specific about that) and had the animals evolve into our animals. And the bible just says there were humans, it doesn't mean that they looked exactly the same as they do now! They could have evolved into us! So I'm not sure what to put in this poll.

Here's another one:

"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Please don't use old testament law, in Christianity, Christ came to fufill the law, and therfore Christians are no longer bound to obey old testament law, but to obey Christ teachings

not to say we do not use things from the old testament to guide our faith, but we are not required to follow them, I can't remember the last time I sacrafice a young goat to pay pennace for my sins

The fact that people make interpetations on a vague passage of scripture should not confuse anyone, the bible is not really specific about HOW God created the earth, just that he did, and although it says it took 7 days, the bible also hints that time means nothing to God.

I could quote off a bunch of scriptures, but I won't. The fact remains that faith is a very personal thing, and while some members like Shepp seem to truely dislike christianity, I have met some really amazing people who really do good for thier communities in the framework of organized religion.

Here's another one:

"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Please don't use old testament law, in Christianity, Christ came to fufill the law, and therfore Christians are no longer bound to obey old testament law, but to obey Christ teachings

not to say we do not use things from the old testament to guide our faith, but we are not required to follow them, I can't remember the last time I sacrafice a young goat to pay pennace for my sins

The fact that people make interpetations on a vague passage of scripture should not confuse anyone, the bible is not really specific about HOW God created the earth, just that he did, and although it says it took 7 days, the bible also hints that time means nothing to God.

I could quote off a bunch of scriptures, but I won't. The fact remains that faith is a very personal thing, and while some members like Shepp seem to truely dislike christianity, I have met some really amazing people who really do good for thier communities in the framework of organized religion.

Well this of course is off subject, but many "Christians" use the old testament to condemn homosexuals.

Back to that old picking and chosing to fit an agenda.

I think his problem is more with people believing certain details but then ignoring other parts or simply adding their own ideas into it, and not the actual idea itself. Like how the Bible says God created man and animals and everything terrestrial, and basically leaves it at that, but here we see many people seemingly having a belief that is "unscripted." I think, and yeah I could be wrong, but I think he has a problem with people saying they believe in the stories in the Bible, but then changing or adding on to those stories as if they were either left vague or simply incomplete.

I know I've always found it odd how some passages are written off as "outdated" and then others are clung to so tightly, even though they were all supposedly divinely inspired by their god.

Thankyou

Thankyou

Thank you, because you finally see the light?

Part of the reason that some people don't take everything in the Bible as the literal truth is because of the language it was written in. The Bible is almost 2000 years old now, and language has developed rapidly since then. If you asked someone 50 years ago what an MP3 was, they'd have no clue. The same can be said of the language used in the Bible. It had to be written in a language that could be understood not only by those writing it, but also those reading it 2000 years later. It's also part of the reason that translation is so hard. As language evolved, there became new meanings for different words, and different meanings for the same word. It becomes complicated. This is probably my biggest beef with those who believe in a completely literal translation of the Bible... and carefully neglect the words "Judge not lest ye be judged". They use it to point fingers when the main goal of being a Christian is to 'love the sinner, hate the sin'.

Anyhew, yeah. That's why we can believe in both creation and evolution.

Here's another one:

Well this of course is off subject, but many "Christians" use the old testament to condemn homosexuals.

Back to that old picking and chosing to fit an agenda.

Being human nobody is perfect! No one is perfect and not one thing in belief is perfect or cut in stone. There are so many variables in everything and with our individual beliefs what one person thinks is right the other thinks it is wrong. What I think is that no one knows what the truth is. We all are just going to believe in what we want to believe in and stick to it because that is human nature through our faith in our belief. All I can say is that the only way to find out is time. Maybe after death we will know what the truth is. But until then it's is a speculated belief weather or not you feel you believe you are completely and utterly right or just dont give a flying donkey.

But as for me, I believe in Creationism because that is what I choose to put my faith into and it works great for me.

I firmly believe in creationism.

This past year (in October of '06) my Grandfather suffered a heart attack. He lives in a very remote area of Maine, just 25 minutes from Canada's border. He was transported to a hospital in Virginia. During this time, he was revived twice, so he has actually died. His brain was without oxygen for well over 5 minutes. He should have suffered a massive loss in mental abilities.

I know for a fact that I as well as many other members of my family prayed for him in church that Sunday. Relatives from all over my family will attest that they prayed.

My grandfather had absolutely no trouble. As my mother, aunt, and grandmother were about to sign papers to pull the plug, he started talking to one of the nurses. He even recounted a story about how he was en route to heaven, and was told it wasn't his time so he returned to earth.

This past year (in October of '06) my Grandfather suffered a heart attack. He lives in a very remote area of Maine, just 25 minutes from Canada's border. He was transported to a hospital in Virginia. During this time, he was revived twice, so he has actually died. His brain was without oxygen for well over 5 minutes. He should have suffered a massive loss in mental abilities.

I know for a fact that I as well as many other members of my family prayed for him in church that Sunday. Relatives from all over my family will attest that they prayed.

My grandfather had absolutely no trouble. As my mother, aunt, and grandmother were about to sign papers to pull the plug, he started talking to one of the nurses. He even recounted a story about how he was en route to heaven, and was told it wasn't his time so he returned to earth.

So, when people die, it's because others did not pray hard enough for them? That sucks.

The question was if you believe in creationism or evolution.

The question was if you believe in creationism or evolution.

did you read the first sentence?

aaaand the story was a major reason I believe in creationism. No need for hostility.