TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Cedar Point, Geauga Lake, Waldameer, and more.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, when I went a few weeks ago Cedar Point had perfect weather and perfect ride operations. Maverick broke down at night and that was really it.

Maverick is my #1 steel, but then again I think Disaster Transport is a pretty darn fun ride as well.

Wildcat is also underrated.

Well, CP did once have a reputation for getting all their rides open on time, but that was before they decided to go with four Intamin coasters in a row. (I'm just saying....)

As for Disaster Transport...they don't run it in the rain because the building leaks--badly. Too bad they can't blame that one on Intamin, too.

CP has its good points, of course. But it's just not my kind of park.

Great pictures Justin! Looks like you guys had a fun time and enjoyed yourselves even though it looked like a freakin hurricane storm through Ohio.

Nice pictures of Maverick. I think I might be a total coaster nerd and put one of them as the background on my friends computer because he hates Cedar Point.

If you go on a weekday in the morning before schools in the area get out you can get on PLENTY of rides without waiting in terribly long lines. The only rides I've ever waited more than a half hour for at any given time were Millennium Force and Dragster, and from the sound of things, Maverick's line moves WAY faster than either of these coasters in their debut years. You shouldn't let that be the reason you don't see this great park!

GREAT trip report Justin, I really enjoyed it. I know nothing about Waldameer, was good to see those pics. Is that spinning a coaster a Maurer? (Off to rcdb...) What's with them not running Dipper because of a broken mic?! Can't they improvise with a megaphone or something?!

You dad and the Krispy Kreme cracked me up!!!!

I don't know why, but I just can't get at all excited about Cedar Point. I'm big on quality over quantity for the most part, but they certainly get enough good reviews that I feel like I *should* look forward to getting there someday but... I'm very meh about it.

Thanks for posting!

What's with them not running Dipper because of a broken mic?! Can't they improvise with a megaphone or something?!

Believe it or not, that does shut down rides. I was in the TTD station, about 3 trains from riding, last year, when that happened. They lost sound and it caused about a 30 minute downtime until they got it working again.

^ Oh I know it DOES, I just think it's one of those things that really shouldn't stop operations. Though I guess in any kind of emergency situation, they need to have everything working properly and not just be shouting unintelligibly through a megaphone.

^ That Vette was a 59 or 60 not sure which as they are identical on the outside. I race my 1965 Skylark every week.

Not having a mic might stop opperations at a Cedar Fair park but it most certainly does NOT at most other parks. Waldameer wasn't using a mic on any of there rides and they seemed to be doing just fine.

Lou, I felt exactly the same as you before going to Cedar Point. I was in the area, so I went. I am also a quality over quantitiy person when it comes to theme parks. However, CP does have some very high quality rides and they generally do a very good job at moving people through them. Honestly, I would say the rides ran more efficient than at any other park I have been to aside from Disney. I just have tendency to let certain things get under my skin. The Mic for one. The fact that the pretty much shut down the park if ANY rain falls which is total BS. They have no more liability than Disney and I have been on California Screamin during a major down pour. Other major park chains run many of there coasters in the rain also.

Bottom line, I really did enjoy CP and GL and plan on going back to both parks in the future with Sandi and the kids. But, if you gave me the option of going to CP for the day with 17 coasters, or say, Dollywood for the day with 5 coasters, I'd chose Dollywood, hands down.

The fact that the pretty much shut down the park if ANY rain falls which is total BS.

Well they did just have a coaster crash due to rain a few weeks ago, so you'll have to excuse them if they're a bit anal about that right now.

^ Disney had the exact same thing happen. They still run Screamin in the rain. And this isn't something they just started.

Anyway, really not a big deal. Just one of those things that kind of bugs me that probably wouldn't bother many other people.

Sounds like things have changed since I worked there. Very few of the coasters went down because of rain then (and Raptor only did because of all the guest complaints from dirty water dripping from the wheel assembly during rain). Corkscrew had to shut because it would overshoot the brakes, Disaster Transport because the building leaks so badly that the trough would fill with water and cause "shuttles" to not make it through blocks, Wildcat because of the brakes, and Magnum and MF only if it was raining hard enough to cause pain to the riders. It took lightning to shut down Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Iron Dragon, Mine Ride, etc....

Actually, it sounds like ops have changed a lot since I worked there, which is sad, because it was the one thing they used to take great pride in. Very little downtime, and high efficiency.

Hey man, Great TR.

I find that really funny about the wicked twister because when i went to CP about 3 years ago and it started raining, they closed it but luckily enough we had already ridden it about 2 hours before. Yeah i know what you mean about the rain, when we were there, you literally have a few minutes before you are completely soaked.

The only thing was disappointed with was missing the chance of being able to ride the TTD because they had a accident the day before we went so it was down due to maintenance. I was happy though because we got to ride MF twice plus one of the rides was at night time and thats a complete different experince

Pat (UK)