TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lightning photos

griffon

Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to get pictures of lightning because it seems like it would be one of the hardest things to do. I remember when I was about 10 years old I would run around the back yard with my $12 camera trying to get lightning pictures during a storm on summer afternoons. Needless to say the roll would come out with nothing but grey pictures...

Last fall I got a new camera that has a full manual mode (not an SLR though), so I've been waiting for a storm with frequent lightning so I could practice. Tonight we had a good storm come through the area, and I sat out on the balcony for about an hour - took over 150 shots, and came up with 2 or 3 that might be halfway decent. So I wanted to see if anyone else out there has any experience or advice, since I'm definitely going to try this more often.

684059963_DSC03695F.jpg.b353973908d8ea43e568842381c8f31e.jpg

some cloud to cloud action after the storm. I wish I could have gotten more like this, but this was the only one that came out.

444552012_DSC03691F.jpg.8446bab06fb14971b75b5b0ef5ca8e9c.jpg

This is probably my favorite from tonight. The car in the foreground with double bolts in the background

1935786558_DSC03690F.jpg.1634b4ce59051bf654f8fe001f072138.jpg

not quite where I wanted it, but the exposure came out decent on this one

185011003_DSC03632F.jpg.c5c00bec9475507eaa875f57a886abfe.jpg

some cloud to ground

1007326543_DSC03569F.jpg.8421924f00690aaf3686f1a27954396d.jpg

sky gets darker

526118235_DSC03558F.jpg.42ef5e9287a0397b0a5d4c9a2ed87235.jpg

the storm approaching

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well yesterday evening holland would be heaven for ya according to our national wheater institute there where 500 lightnings within 5 minutes, within a range of 50 by 50 KM

Once I've seen (on youtube I believe) in Canada, during one night there where more of a thousand impacts (and maybe more but I don't really remember...). It's completely insane! The Apocalypse

Great shots!

So do you just set the camera on a slower shutter speed and hope you get a decent shot? Or is there a different more effective way?

I was at the Oriole's game last night and there was lightning everywhere! Would've made for some cool shots if I had a decent camera.

Awesome pictures! You just made me wanting it to be a thunder storm over here, even though I hate them. =P And what camera do you use? I'm pretty sure it's a system/digital system camera, am I right? I'd love to try and take those kind of pictures.

Great shots!

So do you just set the camera on a slower shutter speed and hope you get a decent shot? Or is there a different more effective way?

I was at the Oriole's game last night and there was lightning everywhere! Would've made for some cool shots if I had a decent camera.

I tried different things with the shutter speed. First I was setting it at about 7-10 seconds, which didn't really work. The aperture won't go high enough on my camera to just let it sit there. The sky just comes out white when I did that. A couple of the last shots, I used a 1/2 second shutter speed, and had my finger ready whenever I saw a flash in the sky, and I was lucky enough to catch a few.

The storm was a really good one with flashes almost every second for a decent amount of time. That's not too uncommon around here in the summer, so hopefully we'll get another storm like that soon.

Great pictures! I've really gotta get some pics of thunderstorms...

But I live in southern California...so...yeah...I don't get much over here. But when I go to New York this summer, I'll have to take some pictures!

Thanks for the inspirations, and pictures!

-Mike