TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood - Major interstate detours on summer weekends

Anyone who is headed to Kennywood on a weekend this summer should check for I-376 closures and detours as they may occur up to 12 times this year. This will be worse than the current weekend lane closures that have been going on the last two summers.

The first closure is this weekend, 6/9/2007, with the eastbound lanes of I-376 (Parkway East) completely closed from Squirrel Hill (including the tunnel) to Edgewood/Swissvale (typical Kennywood exit). Taking the Homestead exit is a good detour to Kennywood in theory although the traffic backups will probably be severe before and after that exit. If you are going to the park from Monroeville/Turnpike on westbound I-376 you are OK on 6/9 aside from possible congestion due to the eastbound detours in the area.

Apparently the westbound lanes in the same will eventually be closed on certain weekends too. That would cause the delays coming from Monroeville.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks- now I remember why I mostly work from home! (my office is downtown)

BTW, you can get to Kennywood and avoid the Parkway- you just have to be creative. The Swissvale exit is almost always backed up, mainly because Swissvale is small with lots of thru traffic. One alternate way is to get onto 48 somewhere and go south to McKeesport- then you're almost at Kennywood.

While we are on the topic of Kennywood, we (my wife and I) are considering taking a trip there for the first time. Her concern is that a majority of the coasters are old woodies and wants to know what the condition of the coasters are. Are they rough -- as in do you have to ride defensively in order to enjoy them? Personally I think that the whip and noah's ark are reason enough to go, but I was curious what you locals think about the current condition of the woodies at the park is.

I know of one alternate route if you're coming from the north (like I would since I'm from the North Hills) is to go through Etna and get on Route 8 (that takes you across the bridge) and stay on 8 until you hit Swissvale, so you can still go that way, but you would just have to avoid the highway (i 376).

^ To answer your question Swoosh; I'm going to break down all of the coasters individually so you'll know what they're like (from the mildest to the most intense coaster), but assuming that you're not credit whoring, I'll leave the Lil' Phantom out...

Racer - Probably the "least" thrilling big-coaster at Kennywood, but it is a fun coaster to ride. It's very smooth and the only thrilling moment is at the very end of the last turn, there is a moment of airtime.

Jackrabbit - This coaster is a little rough if you ride the wheel seat on any of the cars (this is due to pumping at the bottom of the first and last drops), but it is a pretty smooth coaster. It has a very simple layout and the train is slow on all of the turns, but the double dip makes up for any boredom that the ride will cause because it's pretty crazy. I recommend front seat of the last car for the best ride experience.

Exterminator - This coaster is the indoor themed version of the Crazy Mouse at Dinosaur Beach. It's a wicked coaster and the cars will spin in the dark towards the end of the ride, so if you or your wife get very nauseated with spinning or whatnot, I recommend not riding it.

Thunderbolt - Used to be the centerpiece of Kennywood's coaster collection, but now is in the shadows of the Phantom's Revenge. The very beginning and end of this coaster acts much like the Jackrabbit with its drops and flat turns, but it's after the lift hill that sets this coaster from the rest. It enters the bowl section where it literally slams the ride partners together (no center divider) and does it about three times. I would avoid the wheel seat on any of the trains, but not because of the bowl section (the bowl section was done by Andy Vettel, the rest was done by John Miller). Avoid the wheel seats because of the last 90 ft drop. The pullout of the drop has pumping in it and it hurts whenever you're riding in the wheel seat.

Phantom's Revenge - I put the Phantom at the top of the thrill list because of its height and speed, but to be honest it's more enjoyable than the Thunderbolt (thanks to the Morgan track and lap bars).

So anyway, there you go, but don't forget to do your own investigations into the coasters.

While we are on the topic of Kennywood, we (my wife and I) are considering taking a trip there for the first time. Her concern is that a majority of the coasters are old woodies and wants to know what the condition of the coasters are. Are they rough -- as in do you have to ride defensively in order to enjoy them? Personally I think that the whip and noah's ark are reason enough to go, but I was curious what you locals think about the current condition of the woodies at the park is.

The wood coaster's tracks are in excellent condition. No real track roughness. The Racer has no moments where you need to be defensive. The double dip on the Jack Rabbit is pretty extreme but if you pull your seatbelt tight it's not a problem. Thunderbolt you need to be rather defensive on the curves because your partner will slam into you. The Phantom (steel) is not a problem as far as fighting the ride but it does have major airtime moments with some hard landings. The Exterminator will toss you around a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

For the weekend of 6/23. Anyone coming from the PA Turnpike to Kennywood expect delays.

From the Post-Gazette:

If all goes as planned, the Parkway East will close again next weekend at the crucial juncture of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, thereby necessitating detours through east suburban and Pittsburgh's East End neighborhoods.

The closing, tentatively scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. Friday, will shut down the inbound, or westbound, Squirrel Hill Tunnel to permit contractors to work on the Commercial Street Bridge and other locations between the Edgewood/Swissvale and the Squirrel Hill interchanges.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some upcoming closures. Weekend of:

6/30 - Outbound

7/7 - Outbound

7/14 - Inbound (Kenny Kon impact!)

7/21 - Outbound

The 7/14 inbound closure will likely mean that you will not be able to get to the normal Kennywood exit via I-376 Parway East westbound for Kenny Kon. Someone not familiar with Pittsburgh may consider taking the turnpike to Irwin (especially if coming from the east) and take Rt. 30. From there follow the Kennywood arrows to either Rt. 48 or Rt. 148 which will take you to the bridge and Rt. 837, Kennywood Blvd.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are coming from Harrisburg then you will be on the Parkway East which is I-376. There will be impacts this weekend (7/14) from that direction (inbound will be closed before the Edgewood/Swissvale exit). I'd suggest exiting at Irwin and taking that route to the park (Rt. 30, Rt.48 or Rt.148, Bridge, Rt. 837).