TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

This resort looks great, I've personally never stayed at a Universal Resort but from the way this report looks I might prefer Aventura to anything else on property.

Interesting that so many places have bao buns these days, I remember getting bao buns and ramen in new York like 5 years ago (I realize these aren't new dishes or anything just the first time I'd really had them) and thinking man why don't more places outside big cities serve this stuff, and now they're everywhere haha.

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us a press release announcing the new Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers house coming to Halloween Horror Nights this year!

Beginning on Friday, September 14, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, from Trancas International Films, takes a stab at Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights, bringing the notorious slasher to Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort in all-new mazes inspired by the iconic horror film.

Based on the fourth installment in the classic slasher series created by John Carpenter, the mazes will transport guests to the suburban town of Haddonfield, Illinois on Halloween night where Myers has escaped Smith’s Grove Sanitarium and is hungry for revenge. This time, he relentlessly stalks his niece Jamie as his next victim, stopping at nothing to kill her.

Guests will follow Myers as he escapes the mental hospital, encounters his first victims at Penney’s Gas Station and Diner, and wreaks terror on Haddonfield, all set to Alan Howarth’s ominous score. The maze will include horrifying scares by Myers in his classic featureless white mask and navy jumpsuit, with guests dodging his bloody knife at every turn. Halloween fanatics can expect a cameo by Myer’s psychiatrist Dr. Loomis and other famous characters from the film as they try to escape the bloodbath.

Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

Additional details about Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com. All tickets and vacation packages are on sale now.

1048916079_Halloween4TheReturnofMichaelMyersisComingtoHalloweenHorrorNights2018.thumb.jpg.9bbc01c399ca24aeac172f5c675f86dc.jpg

I am starting to wonder if they will ever build another luxury resort like Portofino and Hardrock ever again . . .

I think building the lower priced ones is a smart move for the moment. These hotels are designed to draw in those people who were previously staying offsite. They're not super cheap either; the Kids Suite is comparable to what we stayed in at Dollywood's DreamMore, for a comparable price. Maybe the Endless Summer resort will be different, since they're pricing that more in line with Comfort Inn, but I don't see anything wrong with building hotels that are merely upscale and not luxury.

The Universal Orlando Resort has let us know this year's Mardi Gras begins on February 9th, 2019! Concert dates and performers will be announced at a later date, but you can start planning your trip now!

1313935178_unnamed(1).jpg.af9cdf7c93ba58080d8252d578488723.jpg

It's Florida's Biggest Party.

Every Night From Feb. 9–Apr. 4, 2019

Universal Studios Florida™

It's unforgettable springtime fun for everyone. Enjoy nightly parades with outrageous street performers, colorful costumes and countless beads flying through the air. Catch some of the biggest names in music live in concert on select nights. Plus you’ll enjoy authentic New Orleans bands each night and mouthwatering Cajun food available for purchase.

Best of all, the festivities are included with your theme park admission or Annual Pass. Seasonal Passholders can also experience the event on select nights.

Seasonal Passholders are blocked out of Universal Studios Florida™ the entire day on Mardi Gras concert dates.

Aventura looks like another great hotel for Universal. I really like how they are balancing out their portfolio between the different properties. We stayed at Cabana Bay for a week last summer and absolutely loved it. I think we payed about $180 a night for the family suite which had two queen beds, a sleeper sofa, and a small kitchen area. It slept the five of us (two adults and kids 14, 10, 8) very comfortably. Plus the amenities at the resort were so amazing (two pool areas, water slides, lazy river, bowling alley, etc) that we took a day off from the parks and just hung out at the resort. The cafeteria-style restaurant was also great as everyone could grab what they wanted to eat with so many choices available. I could see us possibly staying at one of the more upscale resorts if we go back in a few years, but I thought Cabana Bay was the perfect family resort.

Breaking news!

The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad show at Islands of Adventure is set to close on September 15, 2018. No word yet on its replacement.

I think the time has come for this show to close. It has been getting long in the tooth over the past few years.

Check this out:

http://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/breaking-eighth-voyage-of-sinbad-closing-at-islands-of-adventure-sep-15-2018/

I am starting to wonder if they will ever build another luxury resort like Portofino and Hardrock ever again . . .

Let's be honest here... I don't think the clientele they have been going after the past few years are really the "luxury resort" type. If anything, I could totally see them taking a hotel like Royal Pacific and "downgrading" it to match the other lower-cost hotels along that stretch of their property.

^The one luxury resort they could do would be a Potter themed hotel and it would print money.

Yup, and oh look the Sinbad show is closing, perfect spot for a potter hotel haha.

Curious to see how long Poseidon's Fury lasts now, that takes up a lot of space between the building and the whole water area in front of it.

^The one luxury resort they could do would be a Potter themed hotel and it would print money.

Yup, and oh look the Sinbad show is closing, perfect spot for a potter hotel haha.

Curious to see how long Poseidon's Fury lasts now, that takes up a lot of space between the building and the whole water area in front of it.

Yeah, if I had I guess I'd say the whole Lost Continent section is nearing the end of it's life cycle (unfortunately) but then again with this rumored third gate and new resort area who knows what the future holds.

Breaking news!

The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad show at Islands of Adventure is set to close on September 15, 2018. No word yet on its replacement.

I’ve never heard of the source but assuming it’s true:

frI.gif

It's a huge spot where they could put something awesome and (hopefully) Potter related. I know a lot of people are tired of Potter and I see why people complained when they replaced Dragons but in this case, I mean... it's the Sinbad show. Bring it on.

I've never seen the Sinbad show, but I wouldn't be bothered it they replaced it with a good new attraction.

Like it or not, this is correct. But would they be allowed to serve Coke products there?

Edited by cfc

^Funny story about the Sinbad show!

When Robb and I were narrowing down wedding locations (a long time ago!) we had it down to Universal or Disney. We did a great tour of Universal with their events people and were really close to booking the wedding/reception in Lost Continent with the main meal at Mythos, would have been awesome! The point of contention that ruined the deal was that they insisted we *HAD* to include one showing of the Sinbad show at a cost of $5k. Nope. Dealbreaker.

^That's hilarious! The only way I'm paying $5000 for a showing of Sinbad is if I get to use the rope swings and be the guy they light on fire and jump into the pool.

(even then I'm probably not paying $5k)

Hotel Aventura looks amazing, and I can't believe it's considered one of their "value" properties. Floor to ceiling windows really look amazing. And for some reason, this hotel looks more expensive than it's sister hotels on property. Way to go Universal!

When Robb and I were narrowing down wedding locations (a long time ago!) we had it down to Universal or Disney. We did a great tour of Universal with their events people and were really close to booking the wedding/reception in Lost Continent with the main meal at Mythos, would have been awesome! The point of contention that ruined the deal was that they insisted we *HAD* to include one showing of the Sinbad show at a cost of $5k. Nope. Dealbreaker.

That's amazing, I wonder how many others bailed when they mentioned they had to pay to have a Sinbad show too haha

Let's be honest here... I don't think the clientele they have been going after the past few years are really the "luxury resort" type. If anything, I could totally see them taking a hotel like Royal Pacific and "downgrading" it to match the other lower-cost hotels along that stretch of their property.

Lol you are correct. The value resorts just don't pull me in when I know I can get other 3-4 star accomodations off site for about half the price if I time it well . . .

Oh, Universal . . .

The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad show at Islands of Adventure is set to close on September 15, 2018.

I have never actually seen this show.... and now I never will!

The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad show at Islands of Adventure is set to close on September 15, 2018.

I have never actually seen this show.... and now I never will!

You passed up a chance to pay five grand to see it.

Edited by cfc

I remember the Eighth Voyage of Sinbad show being kind of awful when I visited the park a few years ago.

Was the show ever good, or was it always like that?

The Sinbad show was a little different when IOA first opened, but it always has been pretty cheesy.

The Sinbad show wasn't nearly as bad as Bandits Out of Time. *shudder*