TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

A new story.

A new ride vehicle.

A new queue experience.

A new entrance.

The only things you’ll recognize when The Incredible Hulk Coaster at Universal’s Islands of Adventure re-opens in late summer are the world-famous twists and turns of the ride track.

This fan favorite is undergoing thrilling, new enhancements that will make it feel more immersive and high-tech – but will still have the same “Incredible” personality that makes it one of America’s most popular coasters. For the first time ever, we’re sharing details about the revamped coaster.

Massive New Marquee

From the moment you walk up to the beloved coaster, you’ll see the huge changes that were made to the attraction. As you enter the ride, you’ll pass underneath a towering figure of The Hulk, using his colossal strength to hold up pieces of the coaster’s track. And fun fact, these track pieces were salvaged from the original ride.

New, Original Storyline

General Thaddeus Ross is calling for volunteers for a new experiment. Your only warning is that you’ll be subjected to high levels of gamma radiation through a process called Hulk-a-fication – a potentially life-altering process first introduced by Dr. Bruce Banner.

The end result is said to give subjects magnificent strength and a forceful amount of energy. Will you emerge as the military’s next super soldier…or something else entirely?

Completely Redesigned Queue

Your part of the story begins the moment you enter the building – which has been redesigned as a state-of-the-art military research compound, commanded by General Ross.

Inside, General Ross is conducting an array of questionable, bio-radiological experiments. You’ll pass by laboratories containing high-tech equipment his team uses to execute his mysterious tests.

Next, you’ll arrive at the Gamma core – an intense energy source that sends pulsing waves of radiation upward to fuel General Ross’s experiment. Not to worry – a thick pane of glass will protect you from direct exposure to the radioactive core.

As you move along, you’ll witness the transformation of your predecessors as they undergo the perilous Hulk-a-fication process.

Finally, you’ll be rushed to a loading platform, sparking with electric bursts as the Gamma accelerator powers up to blast you with superhuman strength. Prepare for the ride of your life…

Totally New Ride Vehicle

From there, you’ll step into an entirely new ride vehicle. The changes start with its sleek, modern new look. Once on board, you’ll discover a brand new, in-seat audio system that booms an original ride score created by Patrick Stump, front man for the internationally-renowned rock band Fall Out Boy.

The next thing you know, you’re rocketing through a new launch tunnel, packed with amazing special effects, as you’re propelled out over Marvel Super Hero Island with super-human force.

It’s the ride you love, but not like you’ve ever known it before. Stay tuned here for all the details. And I’ll see you in late summer on The Incredible Hulk Coaster!

Does this mean people will stop claiming that Disney bought the Marvel rights back and that they're changing Superhero Island to Wicked/DC/whatever? I sure hope so.

I love the way the new entrance looks!! It's awesome that they kept some of the old track to use as theming!! And I bet the part of the coaster train he is holding up is from the old trains as well!! So excited to see this come together.

Does this mean people will stop claiming that Disney bought the Marvel rights back and that they're changing Superhero Island to Wicked/DC/whatever? I sure hope so.

No.

The only things you’ll recognize when The Incredible Hulk Coaster at Universal’s Islands of Adventure re-opens in late summer are the world-famous twists and turns of the ride track.

Looks like we could be seeing Hulk open in August. I can't wait for this to open!

Wow, all of that is such great news! Two things I'm really excited about are the launch tunnel - the concept art definitely makes it look like they're making some solid upgrades there - and the on-board audio. The new train doesn't seem to have giant speakers like Bizarro, so I'm curious to see where it'll be coming from!

Wow, all of that is such great news! Two things I'm really excited about are the launch tunnel - the concept art definitely makes it look like they're making some solid upgrades there - and the on-board audio. The new train doesn't seem to have giant speakers like Bizarro, so I'm curious to see where it'll be coming from!

I believe they said "in-seat" audio, like Rock'n'Roller Coaster where the speakers are underneath the seat.

I'm super pumped for this project now! Everything looks amazing!

No.

The contract between Universal and Marvel stipulates that everything in the land needs to be kept up to "at or above industry standards," so what is really great is we will keep seeing updates like these!

Trains look sick! Best looking train I've ever seen.

The new story sounds nice, but the theming was not the big problem of the ride. I really hope they smoothened out the coaster, rather than just repackaging the exact same experience.

I've always been a sucker for Hulk tho. That one-of-a-kind launch at the start and the massive cobra-roll... Just one unique beast of a classic.

. . . I really hope they smoothened out the coaster, rather than just repackaging the exact same experience.

Universal has said that the new coaster would provide a smoother ride experience!! So I'm hoping/thinking they smoothed out some of the coaster.

. . . I really hope they smoothened out the coaster, rather than just repackaging the exact same experience.

Universal has said that the new coaster would provide a smoother ride experience!! So I'm hoping/thinking they smoothed out some of the coaster.

I'm confused by what you all mean by "smoothened." Were there parts of the ride you thought needed to be reprofiled or are you just talking about the general rattling that occurred in the years prior to this construction?

I visited IOA in October of 1999 and Hulk was smooth as glass. Over the following 15+ years though, the ride became much more "bumpy." The Florida sun, humidity, and full capacity ridership take a major toll on rides and I think that this refurb is only meant to improve the condition of the structure/trains and not adjust the layout. I always found the Hulk to be one of B&Ms more aggressive layouts so I really hope they didn't redesign it to ease transitions between elements.

I'm confused by what you all mean by "smoothened." Were there parts of the ride you thought needed to be reprofiled or are you just talking about the general rattling that occurred in the years prior to this construction?

I visited IOA in October of 1999 and Hulk was smooth as glass. Over the following 15+ years though, the ride became much more "bumpy." The Florida sun, humidity, and full capacity ridership take a major toll on rides and I think that this refurb is only meant to improve the condition of the structure/trains and not adjust the layout. I always found the Hulk to be one of B&Ms more aggressive layouts so I really hope they didn't redesign it to ease transitions between elements.

It's the exact same layout. Nothing has changed except for all new steel, trains, and launch system.

I'd kill to see the launch tunnel use the effects that were originally planned but never used.

Me too! I'm curious which effects you are speaking of too! (snicker)

Concept art had lasers and fog, IIRC. In the times I'd ridden I only got the fog once, never lasers, and 50/50 with audio.

Basically, this is the exact same 1999 coaster, but designed using 2015 / 2016 standards. I'd be willing to bet that in terms of layout and smoothness, we guests won't be able to tell the difference (apart from riding on fresh new track instead of old track).

Getting ready to purchase our Universal Studios tickets for our trip. I am baffled as to why there's such a big price difference between a park to park and single park ticket. A park hopper ticket for the two days that we are going to be there, it's $150 difference just to get a park to park opposed to a single park each day.

I just don't understand the value in that. I could understand an extra $25 maybe even $50 bucks, but $150 for 2 days?