TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 604: Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval announced

Hulk's corkscrew has been installed. It looks like it has the same trajectory through the whole element and that there's not much of a snap at the top, but it's hard to tell whether it's the angle, or even whether it was exactly this shape before. I suspect the only changes we'll see to the layout will be to smooth out some of the transitions so the ride is smoother and to reduce wear and tear.

Image thanks to Attractions Magazine.

CaPuUvtUsAAju3i.thumb.jpg.9f480de867c1b8e56548cb88d36473d6.jpg

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

The Universal Orlando Resort has put out a press release announcing this year's modified Mardi Gras event, Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval.  Universal Orlando Resort cele

Posted Images

. . .I suspect the only changes we'll see to the layout will be to smooth out some of the transitions so the ride is smoother. . .

I am completely okay with that! Nothing wrong with taking a good ride, smoothing it out, and making it into a great ride!!

It's too hard to tell from one image, but I hope that's not the case. That snap is the difference between a good element and one that's just kind of there. Jack and Coke vs. a glass of lukewarm water.

It might only be the angle of the photo to be honest, I only mentioned it as a possibility. It's crazy how different the same inversion can look from different angles. Nemesis' first inversion looks quite dull in this photo for example: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7124/7700160684_06a8f9d481_b.jpg

I don't remember Hulk's corkscrew having much of a snap in its original state to begin with, but that's just me. I mean, none of their above-the-track models' corkscrews have that "Batman the Ride corkscrew snap" by any means.

^I haven't ridden the hulk but I agree that none of the "above the track" B&Ms I've been on had a similar snap to those on older inverts (especially BTR). They usually feel more "fluid" providing more or less constant Gs.

There are no changes being done to the track work on Hulk... No transition changes, no re-designed sections, nothing... Expect the same exact ride, although smoother and also quieter (due to sand). For those expecting something else, you will be disappointed.

There are no changes being done to the track work on Hulk... No transition changes, no re-designed sections, nothing... Expect the same exact ride, although smoother and also quieter (due to sand). For those expecting something else, you will be disappointed.

I didn't expect anything major anyway, so I don't mind either way. Where did you hear this out of interest?

Do you have a source for this?? (Not that I'm calling you out, I'm just curious if I may have missed something.)

I have obviously ruled out any layout changes... But don't you think that they might smooth out some things, or minorly reshape some things just to make the coaster flow better?? Don't get me wrong I LOVED Hulk, but there were a few places that could have been smoothed out, and I don't see why B&M wouldn't make these very minor changes to make the coaster that much more enjoyable.

Obviously nothing major, or even very noticeable by looking at the coaster, but some few minor tweaks here and there to may make the coaster a little better. Keep in mInd how old Hulk is, and how far B&M has come since then.

Invertalon knows his stuff! Go back and look at his posts from last summer and you'll see he accurately said what was going to happen to Hulk before any of the deconstruction or announcement happened.

Besides all that...

They're not changing the supports around or moving the footers - so that alone tells you it's gonna be the same transitions and everything. I'm pretty sure Universal didn't want to mess with any of the engineering of the track. Once you start "tweaking" anything then you have a waterfall, changing, effect of other elements from that point on and then it gets really difficult to keep everything in that same real estate area and re-use of the footers. This is going to be an insanely expensive refurb though, especially considering 90% of a coaster's cost is in the fabrication and construction (assuming a non-prototype) and this one even involved deconstruction. I'm thinking it has to be $20+ million.

The best part about being at a theme park is being able to hear the roar of a roller coaster

Eh, don't be so sure about that. At least in the Florida parks' case, a loud coaster might be scary to small children.

Invertalon knows his stuff! Go back and look at his posts from last summer and you'll see he accurately said what was going to happen to Hulk before any of the deconstruction or announcement happened.

Besides all that...

They're not changing the supports around or moving the footers - so that alone tells you it's gonna be the same transitions and everything. I'm pretty sure Universal didn't want to mess with any of the engineering of the track. Once you start "tweaking" anything then you have a waterfall, changing, effect of other elements from that point on and then it gets really difficult to keep everything in that same real estate area and re-use of the footers. This is going to be an insanely expensive refurb though, especially considering 90% of a coaster's cost is in the fabrication and construction (assuming a non-prototype) and this one even involved deconstruction. I'm thinking it has to be $20+ million.

Oh I wasn't doubting him to be honest, I just wanted the confidence to say "thanks for confirming" I didn't expect anything close to a layout change, but wondered if some of the elements might be smoothed out a little, but I'm happy for a simple CTRL+P of the existing layout

The best part about being at a theme park is being able to hear the roar of a roller coaster

Eh, don't be so sure about that. At least in the Florida parks' case, a loud coaster might be scary to small children.

I have to agree. While enthusiasts may love the raw of a classic B&M like Hulk was or Nemesis, I have seen first hand people look at a ride and say "yeah I will ride that". Then the train makes it way down the first drop, the roar begins and they start to question if they want to ride or don't ride at all.

I have to agree. While enthusiasts may love the raw of a classic B&M like Hulk was or Nemesis, I have seen first hand people look at a ride and say "yeah I will ride that". Then the train makes it way down the first drop, the roar begins and they start to question if they want to ride or don't ride at all.

I guess some people like it (including me) and some don't. I'm near SFSTL and the roar from Batman gives it a Theme Park feel

I guess some people like it (including me) and some don't. I'm near SFSTL and the roar from Batman gives it a Theme Park feel

I feel like certain coaster can definitely benefit from being loud but most coasters would be better if they are quiet. Five machines and Gigas, or plus size loopers and inverts would more likely to be better with a roar. The roar will give people a sense of challenging and that tend to work better on huge coasters.

It's gotta be the same,I had heard a rumor that they were looking at also buying the land across from Universal on Kirkman rd so when the article mentions the land purchased being next to the resort I also had to ask myself if is this a separate purchase,but later in the article it mentions the land running along Universal blvd which means they're talking about the acquisition that most people already knew about,where the land is not right next door but across I-4 closer to the Orlando eye.

Even though we all kind of knew Universal bought the land, it was never officially confirmed by Universal until the earnings report from today.

Oh I wasn't doubting him to be honest, I just wanted the confidence to say "thanks for confirming" I didn't expect anything close to a layout change, but wondered if some of the elements might be smoothed out a little, but I'm happy for a simple CTRL+P of the existing layout

While it's gonna be a clone of the original, I do think that we'll likely see a slightly smoother ride, just because a) it's new again! And b) I think their (Clermont Steel) manufacturing in 2016 is WAY more precise than it was in 1998 (which was still coaster industry leading back then).

Brakes will be installed once track work is complete. It is odd though as B&Ms usually come with brake equipment pre-installed from Claremont Steel.

I dont think they will have brakes here it will just be the hulk standing in front of the train and slowing it down before jumping out of the way once it has slowed down enough.