Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 604: Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval announced

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

The Universal Orlando Resort has put out a press release announcing this year's modified Mardi Gras event, Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval.  Universal Orlando Resort cele

Posted Images

^Hmm--logical . . .

Nah, probably just crazy talk.

Apparently the experiment is over already .

I've been told to expect them back tomorrow morning from the same individual who told me this was happening today.

There must have been a serious incident regarding loose articles on those 2 rides (guest got struck by an object, someone got hit from a falling hat ect...). Either that or too many guests were complaining that they lost their cell phone on HRR, what did you expect! It has a 90 Degree lift and insane turns!! I was there last Saturday, they were forcing everyone to use lockers but no metal detectors, IMO thats a bit much.. but something serious must have happened if they are going through this length to prevent lose articles.

The rage that filled within me last night after reading about this experiment. Where do I start?

As park employee I would want someone to pull me aside and kick me repeatedly if I ever proposed something like this. Almost all Ride Operators do the best they can to make sure that guests comply with loose article policies. If they see a guest with a prohibited loose article, they make sure the guest puts it in a bin/locker or secures it properly based on what the item is. Going great lengths to search guests for loose articles is simply invasive and creates the environment of what I call a "police state." Actually, I have disciplined Ride Operators for poor guest service because they have treated a guest with an assumption of guilt.

If you see prohibited loose articles as a Ride Operator, ask politely and ensure the item is taken care of appropriately. I get it the lockers are free at Universal, I get it that there are small chances that something could fall out of a pocket, but at some point you can't be literally searching people or basically expecting them to be having something they shouldn't. Most injuries that result from rides are related to pre-existing health conditions or dangerous actions such as standing, attempting to exit early, or extending hands/feet outside of the ride vehicle. Incredibly rare a loose article causes an injury, because parks have already done a great job enforcing policies as they have been for years (and yes I know there have been a couple isolated incidents).

If implemented, metal detectors at ride entrances are likely costing Universal excessively more than they are saving. Yes, Universal has the money to blow on stuff like this, but is this money going to the right project? In my opinion, heck no.

Maybe they'll put metal detectors at dragon challenge and they'll actually duel again since people won't have any loose items, one could hope.

Well I remember them using the wands at the entrance of Universal Singapore's dueling coaster, but I don't remember seeing it for the mommy coaster. They made me use the lockers for both although they were free, I think you only had to pay for lockers where you wanted to store stuff for convenience or not getting wet, not necessity, like the jurassic park rapids. But then again it was the same at USJ for both roller-coasters although I didn't see any metal wands.

Edited by Garet

Wait, fluffy bunnies are free at Universal Orlando? Why would anyone take their loose articles onto the ride in the first place then? Metal detectors at ride entrances just seem a bit ridiculous and counter productive to me.

Wait, fluffy bunnies are free at Universal Orlando? Why would anyone take their loose articles onto the ride in the first place then? Metal detectors at ride entrances just seem a bit ridiculous and counter productive to me.

Call me addicted to technology but I like having my phone on me for queue entertainment. Yes I should talk to friends, and yes I do. But in today's world we have integrated both. Going on a limb here, but if people feel like they are waiting longer because they don't have some of their luxuries, they will have a worse time at the park which results in less spending, repeat visits, etc..

They aren't just being overprotective to safety, but they are dancing with possibly tainting a good experience while visiting the park.

I would think having metal detectors outside of ride entrances helps feed a perception that either waiting in line for the ride, or the ride itself, is unsafe.

This seems like one of those ideas that sounded a lot better in a conference room compared to reality.

Call me addicted to technology but I like having my phone on me for queue entertainment. Yes I should talk to friends, and yes I do. But in today's world we have integrated both. Going on a limb here, but if people feel like they are waiting longer because they don't have some of their luxuries, they will have a worse time at the park which results in less spending, repeat visits, etc..

They aren't just being overprotective to safety, but they are dancing with possibly tainting a good experience while visiting the park.

Didn't think about it that way. I guess I forget how much I use my phone. Even though I'm not texting or playing games while in line, I almost always take photos of my friends with the queue/ride in the background while in line. I still wouldn't mind using fluffy bunnies but I can see why a lot of people prefer holding onto their phones. That's why I prefer cupboards in the station as the best option, but I can see how it would hurt capacity at very crowded parks.

As for the metal detectors I agree with you all that it's ridiculous. Not only does it lessen the experience and could be a total turn off for some people, but it makes it look like the park is dangerous. I could totally see teenagers thinking "Did someone get shanked waiting in line for Rip Ride Rockit?!"

I would think having metal detectors outside of ride entrances helps feed a perception that either waiting in line for the ride, or the ride itself, is unsafe.

This seems like one of those ideas that sounded a lot better in a conference room compared to reality.

Another issue I see is that Grad Bash starts at Universal soon or maybe it has started. But teenagers love to ride roller coasters and Rockit and Hulk are going to be the must-rides of the night besides checking out the new Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express. I feel like there will be lines for the lockers if it gets to that point as every teen will most likely ride one of these that night. Also, every teen has their phone on them 24/7 so if the wait is an hour...that will be very upsetting to teenagers. I always wear my shorts that either have cargo pockets or have zipper pockets.

I always wear my shorts that either have cargo pockets or have zipper pockets.

a good zipper/buttoned pocket or tight skinny jeans will work 99% of the time to keep your phone from flying off a coaster. Wearing the right pants to secure loose articles is just like wearing a condom!

I always wear my shorts that either have cargo pockets or have zipper pockets.

a good zipper/buttoned pocket or tight skinny jeans will work 99% of the time to keep your phone from flying off a coaster. Wearing the right pants to secure loose articles is just like wearing a condom!

Yes, but very much like a condom, if you don't put it in the right place, it has the tendency to make the whole experience less pleasurable.

Just pointing out that when it comes to theme parks in the United States, Safety ALWAYS comes before fun.

There has to be a good reason to justify these test. I extremely doubt that Universal would implement or even test these procedures if they were not necessary. They know people are unhappy with the metal detectors, I'm positive people have complained to guest services. They have to know the GP's reaction to it, it seems impossible that they are oblivious to it. However, if they are still moving forward with testing more extreme ways to make sure no loose article get past and onto the ride, It's definitely an issue of safety.

Some of you are acting like Universal is deliberately doing this to piss off their guests. Also, for those of you who are hopeful this signify Dragons will duel again, remember that shoes may be considered a potential loose article on that ride. Especially dueling the loop.

Edited by Inukaza

Safety should always come first at any amusement park, in any country. They must have had severe energencies to push them in this direction, but I just think there are less extreme alternatives that could keep guests safe and happy

Just pointing out that when it comes to theme parks in the United States, Safety ALWAYS comes before fun.

There has to be a good reason to justify these test. I extremely doubt that Universal would implement or even test these procedures if they were not necessary. They know people are unhappy with the metal detectors, I'm positive people have complained to guest services. They have to know the GP's reaction to it, it seems impossible that they are oblivious to it. However, if they are still moving forward with testing more extreme ways to make sure no loose article get past and onto the ride, It's definitely an issue of safety.

No one is saying that there isn't likely a safety issue at play. The question is this - are metal detectors really the best possible solution to this in terms of both guest satisfaction and safety? Let us say for a moment that the core issue with RRR is that things fall out of people's pocket on the lift hill and into the queue area and station. Perhaps then a better fix would be to, just throwing this out there, build a roof or perhaps a tough nylon covering over the area to prevent those falling items from causing any harm to people below? Or you could do what Disney has done on multi-inversion coasters and put in zippered or velcro pockets in the seat back where people can place loose articles. The same is true for Hulk and the zero-g roll. A net already exists. If that is insufficent, perhaps construct something else in place of the netting and use the pockets there. Metal detectors have a negative connotation regarding personal safety, which is precisely why Universal is not putting them at the front gate instead.

Some of you are acting like Universal is deliberately doing this to piss off their guests. Also, for those of you who are hopeful this signify Dragons will duel again, remember that shoes may be considered a potential loose article on that ride. Especially dueling the loop.

You're right, shoes can come loose. A button down shirt might too. Basketball tearaways also. Ban clothes. On second thought, what if you have a pre op transexual on board with some unattached "equipment"? Perhaps we should at least mandate boxer briefs. Boxers, which have buttons, clearly pose some degree of risk....

No one is saying that there isn't likely a safety issue at play. The question is this - are metal detectors really the best possible solution to this in terms of both guest satisfaction and safety? Let us say for a moment that the core issue with RRR is that things fall out of people's pocket on the lift hill and into the queue area and station. Perhaps then a better fix would be to, just throwing this out there, build a roof or perhaps a tough nylon covering over the area to prevent those falling items from causing any harm to people below? Or you could do what Disney has done on multi-inversion coasters and put in zippered or velcro pockets in the seat back where people can place loose articles. The same is true for Hulk and the zero-g roll. A net already exists. If that is insufficent, perhaps construct something else in place of the netting and use the pockets there. Metal detectors have a negative connotation regarding personal safety, which is precisely why Universal is not putting them at the front gate instead.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. My point is that Universal isn't full of idiots managing it. If they decided that a net or a roof/awning would fix the issue, don't you think they would have done it? I don't see Universal adding metal detectors or other things as a first-step solution. I also don't think the Disney argument is appropriate when it comes to this situation as RnRC doesn't enter guest areas as spacious as RRR or Hulk.

I'm also not suggesting that metal detectors are the best possible solution.

You're right, shoes can come loose. A button down shirt might too. Basketball tearaways also. Ban clothes. On second thought, what if you have a pre op transexual on board with some unattached "equipment"? Perhaps we should at least mandate boxer briefs. Boxers, which have buttons, clearly pose some degree of risk....

If anything can become a projectile, and a guest was hurt by a projectile on the ride, why would the park ever risk legal action by dueling the attraction again?

Edited by Inukaza

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. My point is that Universal isn't full of idiots managing it. If they decided that a net or a roof/awning would fix the issue, don't you think they would have done it?

They may look at metal detectors, additional security, and increased use of lockers as a solution that has the potential to generate revenue vs. shutting the ride down for a couple weeks and redoing the entrance way or station, which will have no such potential. I don't know who has the ear of management more in this situation - creative or security/risk management. To say with certainty that "they would do it if it made sense" is overly simplistic. There's been tons of examples of things people suggest should be changed about park operations that may even be stubbornly kept to for years before changes are made.

I don't see Universal adding metal detectors or other things as a first-step solution. I also don't think the Disney argument is appropriate when it comes to this situation as RnRC doesn't enter guest areas as spacious as RRR or Hulk.

They certainly aren't trying it as to prove it ineffective. I just point at Disney as the industry leader, and even with rides like California Screamin' (definitely passes over guests!) there has never been an attempt made to put metal detectors out there at ride entry. Most large regional theme parks in the United States have this theoretical problem, and none of them feature metal detectors at the entrance to the ride EXCEPT Morey's and the Great Nor'Easter.

If anything can become a projectile, and a guest was hurt by a projectile on the ride, why would the park ever risk legal action by dueling the attraction again?

Think about how ridiculous this sounds for a moment in the greater scheme of the theme park industry. Anyone can get hurt on any rides given conditions set outside the park's control. What does it tell you about Universal's risk mitigation strategy that they won't run a dueling coaster because of the potential of injury to riders, but Cedar Fair, Parque Reunidos, Six Flags, and Hersheypark all operate racing/dueling coasters in spite of having far smaller budgets?

What does it tell you about Universal's risk mitigation strategy that they won't run a dueling coaster because of the potential of injury to riders, but Cedar Fair, Parque Reunidos, Six Flags, and Hersheypark all operate racing/dueling coasters in spite of having far smaller budgets?

You can almost even add Disney to that list. Think about Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. There are 13 trains at any one time zipping around the tight turns over and under each other on that track with riders that are allowed to carry pretty much anything they want to on that ride.

You can almost even add Disney to that list. Think about Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. There are 13 trains at any one time zipping around the tight turns over and under each other on that track with riders that are allowed to carry pretty much anything they want to on that ride.

13!? Whoa, I never knew Space Mountain ran that many trains. Well I guess it does make sense as the trains are quite short and there are 2 tracks.

What does it tell you about Universal's risk mitigation strategy that they won't run a dueling coaster because of the potential of injury to riders, but Cedar Fair, Parque Reunidos, Six Flags, and Hersheypark all operate racing/dueling coasters in spite of having far smaller budgets?

Very true. Space Mountain is such a great ride though!

Soooooo aside from the nonsensical metal detectors, any news on Kong?

Kong has rock-work being built and going in all around the show building now, which is almost fully closed off and almost fully built. Don't know what's going on inside though.

Volcano Bay has also taken shape, the big Volcano looks like a city dump where they've built up the land and keep adding to it.

Hello, Going to Universal during spring break (in parks 4/9-4/11), yes, I know, horrible idea, nevertheless, tickets, air fare, etc all bought.

I usually plan things to the nth degree, but with the crowds they way I think they will be, planning order of attractions may not be for me on this trip.

I would appreciate any suggestions or tips from those more experienced.

A major attraction for us is both Harry Potter areas and I have purchased park to park tickets.

My plan is to go to either Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley first thing on the first day, and then the other on the 2nd day. As we are not staying on site, we will not get in early, but it is what it is. We will then stay in that HP area until we have done everything and seen everything for as long as it takes. Repeat for the other HP area the next day.

I have bought unlimited express passes for Saturday 4/11 to make sure we get in everything else.

I would REALLY appreciate any feedback/tips/changes/suggestions on my plan.

Spending some dough on this so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks.

Oh and I will be packing my handy dandy zipper pocket shorts for the trip. Every coaster nerd needs zipper pocket shorts.

Ken

I was at the parks last week and it was very busy, probably similar crowds to what you will see. Something to note, even though it says the park opens at 9am we were already in diagon alley in line for Gringotts at 8:30 with 0 wait, so I would try to get there 30 minutes before the posted opening time. After seeing Diagon alley I would recommend doing transformers as the line gets long. With express pass on the Saturday you will have no problems seeing everything. All the water rides have long waits after noon so I would do them early in the day or after 5. Hope this helps