TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

Yeah it is just an opinion, no worries! The place was busy for sure, but I was expecting it to be a madhouse, especially since I was there on a Sunday. The train ride had about a 10-15 minute wait in either direction.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

Universal definitely planned it out better by blocking FL Residents and Power APs until August 15th. It really helps with the crowds. Also, Hogwarts was a walk on for me when I went on the Saturday it first opened. Also I count Escape from Gringotts. It has a roller coaster section and again even though it is short...people count the smallest kiddie coasters as a credit.

It has a roller coaster section and again even though it is short...people count the smallest kiddie coasters as a credit.

I hate this argument because it's so dumb. So if I wheeled you down my driveway in a shopping cart and called it a "roller coaster" would you count it? Of course not.

Do you count Test Track as a "powered coaster?" No, of course not.

A "kiddie coaster" is 100% meant to be a "roller coaster" and it's obviously a roller coaster just by what it's called and what it does. And most kiddie coasters *feel* like a roller coaster, just smaller than adult roller coasters.

I personally don't count Gringotts because to me it doesn't *feel* like a roller coaster. Sure, there is that one section where it does a drop, but so does Splash Mountain, and I don't count that either.

IMO, Gringotts is by far more of a "dark ride." And there is NOTHING WRONG with that, but it is more of a dark ride that does some "coaster stuff" than it is a roller coaster. For all the same reasons why I don't count a dark ride like the one below as a coaster, even though it has a "coaster section"

[vine]

[/vine] Edited by robbalvey

I'm very interested to see park attendance numbers this year as I wouldn't have expected the crowds to die down this quickly.

It seems like by all accounts numbers are way down this year throughout the industry. While I of course expect Universal's attendance to jump I wonder if it's going to have the jump they expected given the magnitude of this investment (not that we'll ever know their projected numbers but we can probably guess). I know when they were building this new land people were concerned about the lines for the train and by all accounts the lines for that have been really minimal.

With judging lines, it should be important to note that FL Resident Power Pass Holders have been blocked out until today. Could have a significant impact as this is the first weekend they have access to Diagon Alley.

I have just awoken from a week long sleep, back from my FANTASTIC trip to Orlando. Anyone who lives in the Orlando area should be very proud of the hospitality that was shown to me and my family. Thank you very much Orlando! Now, I thought about posting a traditional trip report, but I truly think that I might crash this site as I could write for days about every amazing detail, so, I thought it would be cool if some of you were interested in a Canadian perseptive on my Universal and Disney experiences, you could ask me, like as if you were interviewing me. You could ask me about Transformers, food that I ate, Universal unlimited fast pass vs Disney fast pass, that sort of thing . . . I will watch this site if any of you are interested . . .

With judging lines, it should be important to note that FL Resident Power Pass Holders have been blocked out until today. Could have a significant impact as this is the first weekend they have access to Diagon Alley.

Actually they are still blocked out for another two weeks out of Uni.

image.thumb.jpg.db8755b97a4cdc656f52adcdc8dcf727.jpg

Actually they are still blocked out for another two weeks out of Uni.

Universal just announced power passes aren't blocked out as of today 2 weeks early.

Heard a rumor a few days ago that Twister is on its way out for a Jimmy Fallon-based show...personally, I love Twister and would hate to see it go, but I trust what I heard on this one. Whats the consensus? Anyone else heard of this and is anyone else kinda bummed by it?

Twister is definitely beginning to be a little dated but it is still a classic kind of cheesy that I thoroughly enjoy. That being said, Universal has been a big player when it comes to "Musion" technology, the projection tech that allows physical sets to interact with digital projections of real life characters that look like they are physically there. The technology has already been used in Disaster! (Frank Kincaid), Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Dumbledore) and Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts (Bill Weasely and Griphook), so Universal is no stranger to the system.

I don't know that the technology would be enough to carry a show on its own, but it would make for an interesting part of a larger experience if one were to be developed.

image.jpg.f257a1b2efbbd25a059efca53ef0f004.jpg

From Universal Orlando's Twitter account:

@HorrorNightsORL: This one is gonna be intense, gang! The maze takes place within a Weyland - Yutani research facility dealing in bio-weapons..
@HorrorNightsORL: Communication had been lost with the facility dealing in extra-terrestrial technologies, specifically Xenomorph.
@HorrorNightsORL: Pieces of transmissions were received detailing that the facility had become compromised and another alien species called Yautja Predators..
@HorrorNightsORL: Predators are hunting both the Xenomorphs and any human presence found...
@HorrorNightsORL: Guests will have to navigate through the labyrinth of destruction as they struggle to survive the ancient feud.
@HorrorNightsORL: This is a soundstage maze.. And we are incorporating elaborate puppet builds to achieve our Aliens.
@HorrorNightsORL: Aliens, Predators, face huggers, chest bursters.. And possibly a few surprises.
@HorrorNightsORL: The maze is just finishing construction and into the first few days of scenic.. The detail is just awesome...
@HorrorNightsORL: Before every maze is built we first design a CG model. These models allow us to see the maze in a pre-vis sense...
@HorrorNightsORL: My last tweet tonight is one of the corridors from our CG model.. Enjoy! http://t.co/0SWvyLyBkz

image.jpg.f257a1b2efbbd25a059efca53ef0f004.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.4b1eb00c530084bfd52ac9cf3924d797.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Hmmm. I generally hate any of these "Vs" movies since they're just trying to put together two stale franchises that are owned by the same studio to make a quick buck. I guess they couldn't make an Alien or Aliens house if the rights to that series is owned by Disney (Great Movie Ride) if AvP is technically a different series.

I don't see what including Predators, whose movies I consider action not horror, adds to what could be a sweet Alien house (except for the cool costumes of course).

I don't really care what the property is as long as its good! Having said that, though, I think a maze focused solely on the Alien franchise could have been.... a-MAZE-ing?

I am pumped for this house for sure.

After seeing the work that was done on the puppets last year for American Werewolf in London, I can only imagine how awesome it will be to see the Aliens and Predator franchises come to life right before our very eyes. I am almost certain this will be the house to beat in regards to production value this year.

While not a fan of the film, it has to be noted that outside of the name, this is more of an original story which hopefully will lead to some creativity in design and scares.

Last year was my first HHN in Orlando and I was hooked right from the get go, but I have a question. Is this the most amount of IP's used and both Orlando and Hollywood? Usually you may see one house that shares an IP or theme, but so far we have Face Off, Walking Dead, AVP and From Dusk Till Dawn.

I will be at the event on the 25th and 27th of September and cannot wait to walk through some of my favorite movie franchises and have the crap scared out of me.