TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

About time! It seems like this should do very well, with three 'deluxe' hotels they've had to give all of the 'family value pricing' away to partner hotels or even Disney over the years.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

I'm so happy they are doing this. It's not worth it to pay over $250 per night at some of these other USO resorts, when there are $90 or $100 options just across the street. I'm probably not going back to Florida until 2015, so by then, the hype may have gone down, and I'll book a few nights at it for when I'm at Universal.

^ Seems like you're doing fairly well for yourself at 14.

Anyway, I'm guessing they'll be using the smaller of the two remaining lots for this? I guess that somewhat dashes the hopes of Universal creating their own amazing waterpark on that acreage? The hotel choices are nice, much needed additions, but eh, oh well.

Great to see UOR adding more of what they need. Interested to see full layout plans and how they're connecting this to the rest of the resort. Now we just need a Sound Stage 44 and Potter announcement

Edit: A 2014 opening with a rumored 2014 Potter 2.0 opening would make a pretty big year for the resort.

This seems to be Universal's version of Art of Animation. There's such a high demand for family suites, this makes perfect sense for Universal.

Personally, I'm not too crazy about the theme... but that's just me.

^I kind of like the "retroness" of the theme--sort of like Tomorrowland in the 1960s.

Putting in a more moderately priced resort is a good idea, and I think Elissa's right about any Potter-themed hotels (if they happen, they'll be more "deluxe").

Anyway, I'm guessing they'll be using the smaller of the two remaining lots for this? I guess that somewhat dashes the hopes of Universal creating their own amazing waterpark on that acreage? The hotel choices are nice, much needed additions, but eh, oh well.

Isn't the Wet 'n' Wild lease coming to an end? Is it plausible for Universal to officially buy that property and extensively retheme (or theme) what's there, removing a few things and adding a few others to create an official Universal-branded waterpark outside of the Wet 'n' Wild name?

Granted, I think even before this hotel project a waterpark was way, way off in the future, probably eight Potter expansions down the line, give or take.

Finally. I've been curious why they hadn't built a "budget" hotel as of yet. I guess with the success of Potter and Potter 2.0 + Mystery Attraction coming in they know full on that the demand will be there.

Regardless if it includes the Express Pass or not I'd still choose to stay here just for the convenience alone. Good job USO

Isn't the Wet 'n' Wild lease coming to an end? Is it plausible for Universal to officially buy that property and extensively retheme (or theme) what's there, removing a few things and adding a few others to create an official Universal-branded waterpark outside of the Wet 'n' Wild name?

Granted, I think even before this hotel project a waterpark was way, way off in the future, probably eight Potter expansions down the line, give or take.

With a quick glance at the map to see what your talking about, there certainly is enough land for Universal to build the hotel and a water park on those two pieces of land.

I had no clue Universal had anything to do with Wet n Wild. If they plan on doing more with it in the future, to me it makes sense that they could move it to one of the pieces of land in the park. I don't see how they could apply a theme to Wet n Wild and make it on the level of the Disney water parks, but maybe that isn't what they would care to do.

Big things like the wave pool and the river would have to be rebuilt, but the slides n stuff could easily be moved and that gives them the ability to place things where they want to incorporate thematic elements better than they could trying to slap then into Wet n Wild as it is. After Wet n Wild is gutted they could sell the land or even use it for some of the more behind the scenes aspects of the resort like the offices n whatnot.

Love the old school hotel/motel theme. Like 1960's Vegas/Miami.

Very similar to the stuff still on Ocean Drive down here. Even the 1950-60's look of the Fontainebleu hotel down here also.

Universal Orlando has sent us a press advisory about their recent visit by Shaquille O'Neal and his stop at Despicable Me Minion Mayhem.

“Inside the NBA” analyst and former basketball superstar Shaquille O’Neal was hosted by Universal Orlando Resort on July 9, 2012 and encountered some tiny, yellow friends during his visit. The mischievous minions met the basketball veteran in front of the all-new attraction, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, at the beginning of his day at Universal Studios Florida. This brand-new ride is a hilarious and heart-warming journey that combines a new storyline, new animation, the latest 3-D technology – and the heart, outrageous humor and memorable characters of the hit animated film.

1232379553_ShaqMeetsMinionsatUOR.thumb.jpg.e5b5aabacaa8c97c65ed1c3111941f13.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

^Even if not everyone liked it, kids love it. They're all over the Minions, so anything with the little yellow guys will be a huge hit for families visiting the park. Plus, the movie made plenty of money, and they've got a sequel coming out as well - as a business decision, this was probably the best family ride they could've replaced Neutron with.

I hope the ride is better than the film. After seeing the film I really didn't think it warranted its own ride in a theme park.

Are you kidding? I loved that movie! The minions are chaotic and crazy, and are perfect for a wild simulator.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie, either. I liked Gru, but didn't think the Minions were all that funny. However, I think it'll work well enough as a simulator ride.