TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

Saw pictures over on Orlando United, most everything is still up (including the hanging shark), they've just added movie posters (Jurassic Park, American Pie, etc.) to the walls. They'll most likely stay that way until the announcement is made and they can put artwork up.

Can't say how I feel about the closing of Jaws, as I'm still pretty curious as to what the new Potter area will include and how it's going to affect both parks.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

Hi Guys! First off let me start by saying I Have been a Member of the site since I was about 13, And Have always loved looking at trip reports and buying DVD's.

I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to experience Jaws for the last time, I am the skipper in the picture who looks like he is singing... and when I was pulling up to load and noticed Robb and the others waiting for my boat I about died!

thank you guys so much for coming out! I really enjoyed all of the people who went along with the script and had an awesome time!

Also Robb, I am not sure but I thought I noticed you filming my tour, Any way I could get my hands on that? Sorry for not getting to say Hello in real life! You guys ran off the unload platform while I was taking a picture!

It was nice to see and Kind of meet you in real life for the first time!

-Skipper Derek.

Hi Guys! First off let me start by saying I Have been a Member of the site since I was about 13, And Have always loved looking at trip reports and buying DVD's.

I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to experience Jaws for the last time, I am the skipper in the picture who looks like he is singing... and when I was pulling up to load and noticed Robb and the others waiting for my boat I about died!

thank you guys so much for coming out! I really enjoyed all of the people who went along with the script and had an awesome time!

Also Robb, I am not sure but I thought I noticed you filming my tour, Any way I could get my hands on that? Sorry for not getting to say Hello in real life! You guys ran off the unload platform while I was taking a picture!

It was nice to see and Kind of meet you in real life for the first time!

-Skipper Derek.

Here 'ya go Skipper Derek!

I wish I would have known you were a TPR member as I would have included it with the other videos I did. I mainly didn't use it because the lens got all dirty towards the end. Glad to know we had a fellow member as one of our skippers!

Saw pictures over on Orlando United, most everything is still up (including the hanging shark), they've just added movie posters (Jurassic Park, American Pie, etc.) to the walls. They'll most likely stay that way until the announcement is made and they can put artwork up.

Can't say how I feel about the closing of Jaws, as I'm still pretty curious as to what the new Potter area will include and how it's going to affect both parks.

Has there been any set / rumoured date for the announcement? And where will it be held? USF or USH?

^Screamscape reported that they may make an announcement on Jan 24th about something. Along with Jaws replacement they have also yet to say anything about the new water show or an opening date for Despicable Me.

I wish I would have known you were a TPR member as I would have included it with the other videos I did. I mainly didn't use it because the lens got all dirty towards the end. Glad to know we had a fellow member as one of our skippers!

No don't worry about it at all! I am just so stoked you guys came out for a Final Voyage, I'm not sure if you were there but after the final boat tour there was about 100 people gathered outside of the unload platform, we all started singing "Show me the way to go home". It was a great send off to the attraction and overall a day I will remember for the rest of my life, I am sad to see it go... But I think I wouldn't have wanted to leave any other way then we did that night.

Last I heard was that GE still owns 49% of NBC Universal and that Kabletown was more interested in the NBC/cable programming. Though it would be easy for them use synergy to advertise the hell out of it via they're cable and internet resources.

Like others have said, 51-49%s only exist so one owner or group has control over the company. Also Comcast apparently cares enough about theme parks to buy out private equity group Blackstone's share of UO when they announced they'd be selling it after the success of Potter (and be the first company owning 100% of UO in nearly two decades) .

The deal was definitely about television content, but it hasn't stopped comcast from really getting behind the spending at their parks.

chris

Why did Jaws get demolished and not one of the areas? It's in the back of the park. It's that simple.

I'll be interested to see how the logistics of the Hogwarts Express ride will work out. Because, if it is essentially just a one-way monorail, then yes the line will be a nightmare.

If it is enclosed, or themed (ala: Ocean Park in Hong Kong, King Kong @ USH) it could also be run similar to Orient Express (funicular @ SFMM) with bypass tracks in the center, which would be backstage hidden from public view. Also, possibly providing two different riding experiences, depending on which way you'd be traveling.

Anywho - that's the speculation on my part.

JJ

Winjas > anything at Universal. Actually, Hollywood Tour > anything at Universal...

dt

QFT! Hollywood Tour was definitely one of the best parts of the Europe trip!

^That was awesome! Just the right amount of cheese.

Cool video from "Martin's Videos" on Vimeo via Screamscape

Old 1990 Jaws vs New 1993 Jaws

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

Anyone actually ride the original 1990 version? I didn't know that this is Jaws' second death lol

The boat spin effect and grenade swallowing/ exploding ending were really cool and better in concept but the current version seemed better in terms of effects quality, even if simpler. Oh and better storyline, but that could just be the actor

That's the first time I saw the original version, and do have to say I prefer the more serious nature than the over the top theatrics in later years. Then again I might only be feeling this way because of the "newness" factor in seeing the original.

^That was also the first time I have seen a video of the original.

I had heard about the exploding shark but not that your boat was actually bitten! Both were very cool effects but understandably problematic.

I've never ridden the original version, either, but I had heard about the boat being bitten, but not the explpoding shark. It's too bad they couldn't keep that ending, but I guess it wasn't very practical. Thanks for posting that video.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Mardi-Gras/Live-Concerts.aspx

Catch The Music with 14 of Music's Biggest Names!

When the sun goes down every member of the family will enjoy electrifying concerts from some of the biggest names in music performing live in Universal Studios at the Universal Music Plaza stage!

Check out more live music in the French Quarter - Direct from New Orleans

Feb. 11th, 2012 - B-52s

Feb. 18th, 2012 - Kelly Clarkson

Feb. 19th, 2012 - Boyz 2 Men

Feb. 25th, 2012 - Diana Ross

March 3rd, 2012 - TBA

March 10th, 2012 - Big Time Rush

March 16th, 2012 - J Cole

March 17th, 2012 - Jill Scott

March 23rd, 2012 - Hot Chelle Rae

March 24th, 2012 - B.o.B.

March 30th, 2012 - Plain White T’s

March 31st, 2012 - Prince Royce

April 7th, 2012 - Cyndi Lauper

April 14th, 2012 - KC and the Sunshine Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQpY7whD-Q

Universal Orlando has also posted a farewell video for Jaws...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2MijJeShDs

From the Universal Orlando Resort facebook.

"It’s our first 2012 SNEAK PEEK… And Spidey fans should get excited!

Check out what Hobgoblin will look like in the completely re-animated Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man! Yeah, we’re pretty stoked... How about you?"

I'm personally excited for the re-animation and updates, that ride is one of my favorite rides I've been on. I'm really excited to see the graphical updates to his pumpkins, he has one of my favorite scenes on the ride. "Trick or treat, smell my feet, time to blow you off the street!"